Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2021, 07:28 AM   #41
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie Dee View Post
I am looking to purchase a 2014 Lounge 24" AI. However, I read that Mercedes Benz will not be making the 3.0 Turbo Diesel any longer. Does that bother any AI owners from the parts or resale stand point? Also, is there a particular AI year that is the best year? As a 30 year A/S TT & MH owner, this will be my first AI and any guidance would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance, Dr. Dee
My coach is a 2004 T1N that uses the 2.7L inline 5 cylinder turbocharged engine. It was last used in 2006. Parts are <mostly> still available. I wouldn't buy a V-6 NCV3 or VS30 Sprinter on a bet, but neither would I be concerned about parts availability for them, were I you.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #42
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Well, you have a point there on NCV3 and VS30 Sprinters. We like ours, but I have to admit it that over time this chassis will likely be more expensive to maintain than the most recent Ford Transit with turbo and AWD, which should become a very popular camper platform once supplies are less constrained.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
1998 34' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Goodyear , Arizona
Thank you for the feedback. Since this would be my first AI, doing research on 24' AI leaves me with the feeling that I can look forward too many issues both from A/S and MB. EXAMPLES: A/S - poor Gen both loud and under performs, step fails, hard bed lounge, lack of heat & A/C, lost of heat quickly, water pump failure, macerator failure. MB - injectors, sensors, alternator failure, problem after long period of no use (5 Months winter), diesel fuel related issues, etc. Am I to be worried that this normal ownership experiences? Thanks in advance for you comments.
Louie Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #44
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Thank you for the feedback. Since this would be my first AI, doing research on 24' AI leaves me with the feeling that I can look forward too many issues both from A/S and MB. EXAMPLES: A/S - poor Gen both loud and under performs, step fails, hard bed lounge, lack of heat & A/C, lost of heat quickly, water pump failure, macerator failure. MB - injectors, sensors, alternator failure, problem after long period of no use (5 Months winter), diesel fuel related issues, etc. Am I to be worried that this normal ownership experiences? Thanks in advance for you comments.
I may get flamed for this, but:

a) a generator is a generator. They're useful and in MY world necessary. My only complaint is that the LP tank isn't large enough for sustained generator use at 1/3-1/2 gallon/hour. 7 gallons of propane goes pretty quickly. The number of RV fires caused by solar controllers concerns me. IMO, it's great technolgy, but it's not mature yet.

b) since about 2009, AIs are overly gizmoed, waaaay too complex, value "flashy" over substance, and are over-priced. And yes, those are all common experiences for Sprinter NCV3 and VS30 owners... regardless of which B-Van upfitter built "inside the box." Airstream now builds luxo-mohos to impress, not competent mohos for use. And those are the very reasons I won't buy one. The NCV3 oil changes at Mercedes alternate at $300 and $900 (last I checked) so that alone is a $1500 maintenance bill every 15,000 miles assuming 7500 mile service intervals.

Now that said, there are literally thousands of NCV3 and VS30 vans out there in daily use, and I'm sure that the reports you see online may not be the experience of EVERY Sprinter owner, but they're frequent enough and deep-pockets enough to deal with those issues when necessary that I've decided not to buy a more recent vintage van, even though there have been a couple I really liked.

I'm currently having issues even having my '04 T1N repaired at MB:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ls-221924.html
Old 05-14-2021, 09:21 AM   #45
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Well, you have a point there on NCV3 and VS30 Sprinters. We like ours, but I have to admit it that over time this chassis will likely be more expensive to maintain than the most recent Ford Transit with turbo and AWD, which should become a very popular camper platform once supplies are less constrained.
I think I've mentioned before that whatever my next coach is, it'll likely be on the Transit chassis, even though the Eco-Boost engines aren't ideal either, maintenance-wise.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #46
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Forewarned is forearmed. Information from experience is always good to have.

IB just linked to this article an another thread. I had not read it before, but it reinforces my hesitation in buying another, later model Sprinter because of the potential cost of repairs necessary during the lifetime of the van in comparison to other contemporary vans. I always consider the total cost of ownership of an RV during the time I own it, to include depreciation, cost of repairs, and other ancillary expenses. This article lays out the chassis maintenance expense part quite well.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal-flaw-mercedes-benz-sprinters-tom-robertson
Old 05-14-2021, 01:40 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
My personal experience over 3-1/2 yrs. of ownership and 30K miles on my '2012 AS Avenue class b, is that the best chassis is the Chevy Express 3500. The suspension, engine, and transmission setup is very robust. One MAF sensor replacement, but otherwise flawless dependability with only routine maintenance. 14+ mpg from the 6.0L gas V-8, and ability to accelerate (slowly) up nearly any grade. This dependability seems to be backed up at the class b forum where only coach problems are debated with almost no chassis problems mentioned except from the Sprinter owners. I'm sure I would have sold my van long ago if I had even a small amount of engine problems to go along with the coach issues I've had to deal with.

That being said, I recognize my van is a dinosaur with very cramped upper width and headroom compared to the newer "boxy" vans. And while I enjoy the peace of mind when leaving on a trip that I'll likely return home problem free, I realize I will never own another since they are rightly so, out of production. But it would appear that diesel (while not everyone reports problems) is just not the answer given all the emissions systems that much be installed on them.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:21 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
1998 34' Cutter Bus (Chevy)
Goodyear , Arizona
TO BOTH 85MH325 & ROWIEBOWIE; Your feedback is excellent, on point and taken seriously from experienced AI owners. I have owned 13A/S over 38 years bot TT & MH with a Foretravel Coach thrown in as my last RV. All needed attention but were far less going into a previous ownership than an AI. So, after seriously considering several AI's, I believe I will pass. At my age I am not ready to chase, fix, open and create stress with downtime & $. My purpose for wanting an AI was to ease the travel experience for my wife as we intend to cover 4 long road trips this summer.
My A/C factory & dealer experience over the years has been less than sterling. Both have not provided much interest in resolving issues especially at the Jackson Center. Realizing that there is really no easy answer to enjoying a trouble free RV experience I believe I will stick to my original plan of using a Lexus 460L. AWD to cover the 10,000 + miles planned. All this is shared after belonging to A/S clubs in 2 states, president of one and president of an RV club in a second state. I hate to pass up the fun of RVing but not at the expense of downtime, maintenance costs & unreliability. Thank You, Dr. Dee
Louie Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:31 AM   #49
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
TO BOTH 85MH325 & ROWIEBOWIE; Your feedback is excellent, on point and taken seriously from experienced AI owners. I have owned 13A/S over 38 years bot TT & MH with a Foretravel Coach thrown in as my last RV. All needed attention but were far less going into a previous ownership than an AI. So, after seriously considering several AI's, I believe I will pass. At my age I am not ready to chase, fix, open and create stress with downtime & $. My purpose for wanting an AI was to ease the travel experience for my wife as we intend to cover 4 long road trips this summer.
My A/C factory & dealer experience over the years has been less than sterling. Both have not provided much interest in resolving issues especially at the Jackson Center. Realizing that there is really no easy answer to enjoying a trouble free RV experience I believe I will stick to my original plan of using a Lexus 460L. AWD to cover the 10,000 + miles planned. All this is shared after belonging to A/S clubs in 2 states, president of one and president of an RV club in a second state. I hate to pass up the fun of RVing but not at the expense of downtime, maintenance costs & unreliability. Thank You, Dr. Dee
Perhaps another brand with either the Transit or the Dodge chassis with a more "conventional" (read less gimmicky) build with fewer "state of the art" and more standard build components might suit you better? I've looked at both the offerings from Coachmen on the Ford and Winnebago on the Dodge chassis, and I find them to be quite practical designs.