Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2018, 07:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Now, if I was still 25 & single, my answer may have been different (married 35 years and happy)
Now if you were still 25, your budget might look more like this:
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:43 PM   #22
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
I see American Coach has entered the "luxury B van" market for 2018 with their new Patriot, so maybe that's 3/4 of an ARV for 1/2 the price. Is that better than 3/4 of an ARV + 1 wife???
Dunno. Having taken 2 yrs. to get here, the really nice thing with pulling the trigger is I am no longer in the market to buy a luxury B or trophy wife Hmmm, maybe that didn't come out right

LB_3 - that's hilarious and I just realized, so true.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #23
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
In-floor heating
Diesel heater (no propane required)
Silverleaf (arguably a better system than FireFly)
420W of solar
TPM
360 camera
Compustar w/ Drone (security system)

It's a pretty long list of differences. Whether they're worth the extra $$ is up to the buyer.
+ the silent A/C
+ Induction stove top
+
+
+

If I could... heck yeah... but waaaaayyyy outside my budget...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:56 AM   #24
SWH
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
This post confirms 4x4 and VB suspension available together: https://www.airstream.com/blog/inter...8-new-options/
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
This post confirms 4x4 and VB suspension available together: https://www.airstream.com/blog/inter...8-new-options/
Thanks SWH.
There ya go. VB + 4×4 + E&P all in one unit. I have a feeling many who were on the fence may be pulling the trigger now.

I also read awhile back about the front bed option. I see on your post they now have it available too. I was going to get the Roadtrek version or have one made by my local auto upholsterer. But this may be an even better design being it inflates to wedge between the seats

Name:   TCinterstateextrasleeper-283x280.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  13.2 KB

Additional Sleeper front-bed system (MSRP $955)

Add an extra bed with innovative, inflatable mattress which rests snugly across cockpit seats
Designed specifically for Mercedes-Benz Sprinter
Sturdy, supportive and durable
Includes foam supporter with custom bedding and comforter
Old 03-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:

Additional Sleeper front-bed system (MSRP $955)

Add an extra bed with innovative, inflatable mattress which rests snugly across cockpit seats
Designed specifically for Mercedes-Benz Sprinter
Sturdy, supportive and durable
Includes foam supporter with custom bedding and comforter
If you don't need the "custom bedding and comforter" and want to save about $800, you can buy the same thing from PleasureWay.....

http://pleasureway.com/store/
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:06 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Appreciating all of the info!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:56 PM   #28

Thumbs up

Quote:
If you don't need the "custom bedding and comforter" and want to save about $800, you can buy the same thing from PleasureWay.....
Saving $800 ? You betcha, I don't want to pay $800 for custom bedding/comforter stuff. Pleasure Way bed for me, it is. And for that savings, if it does not work out, not big $ down the drain. Great info. This is good stuff. Saving money already on accessories & have not even taken delivery of unit yet. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Saving $800 ? You betcha, I don't want to pay $800 for custom bedding/comforter stuff. Pleasure Way bed for me, it is. And for that savings, if it does not work out, not big $ down the drain. Great info. Thanks.
I use a $20 twin size air mattress and a duffel bag to create a front bed for my daughter. Works great!
Old 03-03-2018, 09:26 PM   #30

Quote:
I use a $20 twin size air mattress and a duffel bag to create a front bed for my daughter. Works great!
Is a twin not too long and too wide? The PleasureWay one is only 27"×61" and the pic shows it to be pretty snug edge-to-edge. Or does it not matter since it is air mattress?
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed_Overhead_specs_grande.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	305504
Old 03-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Is a twin not too long and too wide? The PleasureWay one is only 27"×61" and the pic shows it to be pretty snug edge-to-edge. Or does it not matter since it is air mattress?
The twin being a bit "snug" actually helps keep it in place. I use the table top as a base between the front seats to give support to the middle of the mattress and then inflate it in place. As it inflates, it sort of wedges itself in there. With a duffel supporting the bit between the passenger seat and the dash, it all works quite well. We toss a sleeping bag, pillow, and blankets on top, and viola, it's my daughter's "nest" (complete with a few stuffed animals of course).
Old 03-03-2018, 11:22 PM   #32

Quote:
The twin being a bit "snug" actually helps keep it in place. I use the table top as a base between the front seats to give support to the middle of the mattress and then inflate it in place. As it inflates, it sort of wedges itself in there. With a duffel supporting the bit between the passenger seat and the dash, it all works quite well. We toss a sleeping bag, pillow, and blankets on top, and viola, it's my daughter's "nest" (complete with a few stuffed animals of course).
The table top idea was on my mind already for a long time. My idea for the part between seat & dash was to have my local auto upholsterer make a 'soft but rigid' solid foam ottoman-type but the duffel bag idea (provided its the right height) is much easier & cheaper. Plus it's dual purpose, I can use my own clothes, extra pillows, linens, etc. to achieve correct height & firmness. Amazing what limited space can extract from people's ingenuity
Old 03-03-2018, 11:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
but the duffel bag idea (provided its the right height) is much easier & cheaper. Plus it's dual purpose, I can use my own clothes, extra pillows, linens, etc. to achieve correct height & firmness.
This is exactly what we do. Typically my daughter's bag is large (high) enough to do the job, but if not, we just add an extra pillow on top of it and viola, sorted and ready for bed.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Do share photos of the undercarriage where the lift jacks are installed... retracted and deployed.
Wachuko - my delivery is not until Fri this week. But I found pics from ARV when they tested their unit on a very steep forward slope. Notice the rear VB Air slammed to lowest level. I know I have seen pics of undercarriage from E&P. Will post as soon as I find them

Name:	Screenshot_2018-03-02-11-26-39-1.png
Views:	73
Size:	997.8 KB
ID:	305662

Name:	Screenshot_2018-03-02-11-27-36-1.png
Views:	86
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	305663
Old 03-05-2018, 11:01 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Wachuko - my delivery is not until Fri this week. But I found pics from ARV when they tested their unit on a very steep forward slope. Notice the rear VB Air slammed to lowest level. I know I have seen pics of undercarriage from E&P. Will post as soon as I find them
This brings up an interesting point, and something I hope Airstream has factored into their numbers since these things are meant to work together as a system: ARV typically builds on the standard length platform, not the EXT version, which is 2 feet longer. If you "slam" the rear air suspension (i.e. set it at it's minimum) and lift the front end, on the EXT you run a very real risk of putting the rear of the coach on the ground, depending on the slope. As is, there is VERY little room under the back of the EXTs (like 4"), so just lowering the air suspension may put the rear on the ground (again, depending on the slope).

There is a LOT more "wiggle room" on the standard length coach, but since Airstream only builds on the longer one, folks dreaming of using the air suspension and levelers to level on even mild slopes may need to temper their expectations a bit.....
Old 03-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #36

Quote:
There is a LOT more "wiggle room" on the standard length coach, but since Airstream only builds on the longer one, folks dreaming of using the air suspension and levelers to level on even mild slopes may need to temper their expectations a bit.....
Good point there. Not sure if the unit they tested was standard or extended. These pics looks like extended? And has the duallie rear wheels.

Name:	Screenshot_2018-03-05-10-24-11.png
Views:	69
Size:	1,008.8 KB
ID:	305680

Name:	Screenshot_2018-03-05-10-25-40.png
Views:	69
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	305681

And they got this bulky shielded box hanging down the middle. Have no idea what that is. But seems to clear even when slammed.

Name:	Screenshot_2018-03-05-10-44-39.png
Views:	68
Size:	750.0 KB
ID:	305682

Name:	Screenshot_2018-03-05-10-45-56.png
Views:	57
Size:	786.1 KB
ID:	305683
Old 03-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Good point there. Not sure if the unit they tested was standard or extended. These pics looks like extended? And has the duallie rear wheels.
Yep, that one's extended. There's about 4 feet of van behind the rear wheels.

It looks like the system may "protect itself" in that the rear levelers deploy far enough to prevent the rear end from squatting too far when the front levelers extend. That's good news, but it's going to really limit the amount of leveling that can be achieved. Again.....temper your expectations.

The good news is one of the BIG reasons for leveling is to allow absorption fridges to work properly. Since the fridge on the both the Lounge and GT is all-electric, that isn't an issue.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

And they got this bulky shielded box hanging down the middle. Have no idea what that is. But seems to clear even when slammed.

Yes almost all Advanced RV units are dually Sprinters like our Interstates. That bulky shielded box contains the 800 AH Lithium battery pack.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #39
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
I had seen those. Looking forward to seeing the photos from your AI. Those from ARV are not configured underneath like ours

I have a thread when I was doing my homework for a system:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...em-176540.html

No worries... I will wait for yours to come in. That will be exact to what we have and we can see how it got installed. Cheers!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:54 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
... That bulky shielded box contains the 800 AH Lithium battery pack.
Yikes, I would not design that way. Anything in that area is vulnerable to road debris impacts and crash damage, shielded or not. Of all components to keep tucked up inside the vehicle, lithium is my first choice, both because of impact potential, and to keep them warm. Propane tanks are under-slung too, yes I know that, but their construction is far more robust than that of lithium batteries. Have you ever seen RV crash videos where propane tanks are released by the impact? They bounce like beach balls down the highway, as they are designed to do.

This is an interesting thread, but for those with more limited budgets, I'm afraid it might be a bit discouraging by virtue of the sticker-shock numbers being cited. Our DIY-upgraded rig has substantially more off-grid capacity than stock Interstates. We are hopefully going to put air suspension, and we could put a leveling system I guess. Even if we did both, our total investment would still be comfortably in the five-figure range because we've done our own labor. It's like everything else in life - you either pay a lot more if you are using your wallet, or pay a lot less if you are using your own hands and brain for the job.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote