Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Mike..earplugs...that will solve my AC noise problem. On my list of things I need! Thanks. As you said...simple, cheap, effective...what's not to like?
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Mike..earplugs...that will solve my AC noise problem. On my list of things I need! Thanks. As you said...simple, cheap, effective...what's not to like?
Earplugs can be uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time— especially when they're properly fitted. So you'd be trading one type of discomfort for another. Personally I never have a problem sleeping with the air conditioner running. I make sure the A/C fan is running even when the A/C itself is not, because the difference between fan and A/C is not as jarring as the difference between silence and A/C when the A/C kicks on at night.

But if you do go with earplugs, I strongly suggest you test the LPG detector and smoke/CO alarm while you're wearing the earplugs to make sure you can still hear them AND they're still loud enough to wake you up if they go off.

Personally, between definitely hearing the A/C all night and possibly not hearing the CO or LPG detectors, I'll take the A/C noise anytime. It's not loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage, but if you sleep through a CO or LPG alarm you may not wake up, ever again.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Earplugs can be uncomfortable to wear for extended periods of time— especially when they're properly fitted. So you'd be trading one type of discomfort for another. Personally I never have a problem sleeping with the air conditioner running. I make sure the A/C fan is running even when the A/C itself is not, because the difference between fan and A/C is not as jarring as the difference between silence and A/C when the A/C kicks on at night.

But if you do go with earplugs, I strongly suggest you test the LPG detector and smoke/CO alarm while you're wearing the earplugs to make sure you can still hear them AND they're still loud enough to wake you up if they go off.

Personally, between definitely hearing the A/C all night and possibly not hearing the CO or LPG detectors, I'll take the A/C noise anytime. It's not loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage, but if you sleep through a CO or LPG alarm you may not wake up, ever again.

I don't find the compressible foam ear plugs uncomfortable. I can still hear the A/C but it's not loud enough to keep me awake. I can still hear the alarms including the wake up alarm on my iPhone. I never sleep with generator running or the propane turned on. When it's cold I never run furnace until the morning to take off the chill. But still good advice to be aware that the CO and LPG alarms are there to keep you alive.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:04 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sanibel , Florida
The add on A/C unit was a bit complicated but the final project turned out good. It is a standard room window a/c, 8000btu, that I carry behind the lounge---weighs about 60#--so it is easy to set on the ground upon arrival at my campground. After hooking up the 110V power, I plug in the a/c and turn it on with the remote. The unit had to be modified to have a simple 4" dia room air input and a similar cold air output. I did that by removing the plastic shroud and making two sheet metal manifolds, one for cold air and one for return air. (It helps to have sheet metal fabricating capability.) The remaining problem was to then run two 4" flexible pipes into the back floor of the AI. This was done in the extreme back corners of the coach with tight fitting 4" pvc components. (Perfect fits and extra care in sealing keeps road odors out while driving.) It takes all of 5 minutes to set it up or take it down in the am. The procedure is this: When setting up for the night I have both a/c units running---the loud one set at 78 degrees and the quiet one set at 74. By the time we crawl in bed the loud one cycles OFF and only the quiet one runs. The extreme back of the coach is the only place where it is 74---but that's OK.
markc12v30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by markc12v30 View Post
The add on A/C unit was a bit complicated but the final project turned out good. It is a standard room window a/c, 8000btu, that I carry behind the lounge---weighs about 60#--so it is easy to set on the ground upon arrival at my campground. After hooking up the 110V power, I plug in the a/c and turn it on with the remote. The unit had to be modified to have a simple 4" dia room air input and a similar cold air output. I did that by removing the plastic shroud and making two sheet metal manifolds, one for cold air and one for return air. (It helps to have sheet metal fabricating capability.) The remaining problem was to then run two 4" flexible pipes into the back floor of the AI. This was done in the extreme back corners of the coach with tight fitting 4" pvc components. (Perfect fits and extra care in sealing keeps road odors out while driving.) It takes all of 5 minutes to set it up or take it down in the am. The procedure is this: When setting up for the night I have both a/c units running---the loud one set at 78 degrees and the quiet one set at 74. By the time we crawl in bed the loud one cycles OFF and only the quiet one runs. The extreme back of the coach is the only place where it is 74---but that's OK.
Thank you - that was really what I was asking about. A complex solution, and it seems to work fine for you.
Interestingly, here in the southwest where its usually dry, I've seen a swamp cooler solution which is very effective and runs off 12V!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc12v30 View Post
Sounds neat. Any pics? Especially the AI penetrations.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:44 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
So we don't lose this excellent discussion on how to improve the A/C on our rigs, maybe now's a good time to start a new thread on it? As is it might get lost in the midst of a "new AI" discussion.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

Sanibel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Sounds neat. Any pics? Especially the AI penetrations.
I started with a standard 110V window A/C unit, 6,000 BTU bought at Home Depot, $175. The unit fits right behind the lounge for travel (Pic 1). The cold air output is on top and the return air duct is below.

Pic 2 shows the A/C Unit on the ground with the flex hoses hooked up to the AC unit. The next step would be to hook up the other end of each flex hose.

Pic 3 shows the location where the cold air hose comes through the floor---right back in the extreme corner of the AI. When the carpet is pulled back (Pic 4) the 4” dia seal is exposed. Remove the seal and (Pic 5) the PVC pipe fitting is exposed. The return air fitting is in the other back corner of the AI.

Cutting the two holes in the floor took some time but worked out just fine. The beauty of the PVC fittings is that they are perfect friction fits. Fittings were located so the seal would be perfectly flush with the floor, no bump in the carpet.

This is a small unit and WILL NOT cool the whole AI coach. But where we sleep it is cool and comfortable and very quiet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	269011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	269012  

Name:	Pic 3.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	269013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 4.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	269014  

Name:	Pic 5.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	269015  
markc12v30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:57 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Key Largo , Florida
GREAT SUGGESTION, staying near the dealer for the first night or two! We did exactly that after we bought our 2016 AI in Tampa. Everything worked great after a 2 night State Park stay - so we headed for Camping World. Now into our 7th month and loving it. Headed from Florida to Maine next week for our first 2+ month sojourn. You will love your new AI!
AI Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #30
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Joe View Post
GREAT SUGGESTION, staying near the dealer for the first night or two!
If the dealer offers courtesy parking (some do) then staying AT the dealer for a night or two is even better. Not only is the dealer more readily accessible that way, but you're in a better position if something does go wrong— "I haven't even taken it off the lot yet" is an excellent argument when trying to browbeat a reluctant dealer into fixing whatever is wrong under warranty.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Headed from Florida to Maine next week for our first 2+ month sojourn. You will love your new AI!
Wow! Sounds like a great trip. Guessing you are planning to be there for the fall colors? Would really like to hear how 2+ months in the AI works out for you. Do you plan to mix in some hotel stays along the way?

Safe travels!
Old 08-19-2016, 08:11 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Key Largo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Wow! Sounds like a great trip. Guessing you are planning to be there for the fall colors? Would really like to hear how 2+ months in the AI works out for you. Do you plan to mix in some hotel stays along the way?

Safe travels!
Keeping all our options open. Nice country Inns are on our radar, along with all the different kinds of RV options - we know we like National, State, County parks but will also use this trip to try KOA's, Good Sam recommendations, and more.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
FlyFisher,
Just curious, what changes were there from 2016-17 models?
I have a 2016 Grand Tour ext with rear sofa/bed....and I LOVE it! I haven't traveled a lot so far, picked it up in Ft. worth, Texas and drove him, (Goliath), home in April. Only a few Colorado trips so far...
And, I'm doing just the opposite -- ordered our '17 GT 4x4 from Denver dealer and driving it home to Texas when it arrives in November (we hope!).

FlyFisher -- can you tell me about the new microwave w/ browner that is in the new '17's?
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:25 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
FlyFisher -- can you tell me about the new microwave w/ browner that is in the new '17's?
Not sure how much I can tell you as I haven't had a chance/need to use it yet. It's different in that it's a drawer style, looks like it will hold more than the teensie weensie door style models on most class B's, and is fancier than the microwave I have in my house!
Old 09-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Not sure how much I can tell you as I haven't had a chance/need to use it yet. It's different in that it's a drawer style, looks like it will hold more than the teensie weensie door style models on most class B's, and is fancier than the microwave I have in my house!

Thanks - and sorry for the name blunder!
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
Thanks - and sorry for the name blunder!
No worries.

So, I just went out to my coach and grabbed the owner's manual. The unit is a Contoure RV-1000S-BRW. It's 1.3 cu. ft. and rated for 1000W for the microwave part, and 1400W for the grill/browning part. Also, it will easily fit a full size dinner plate.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:17 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Key Largo , Florida
OK - so far one month into journey -- now in Cape Breton. All is great! When it started getting a bit cool for this Florida boy stopped in a Home Depot in Portland Maine and bought a three speed fan driven portable electric heater with tipper protection. Set it up on the floor up front at night, off, and then flip it on in AM - in 15 minutes all is warm and toasty. Trip has been great; all in AI works fine and simply enjoying all - with wife and two small dogs. Taking the AI into towns for Farmers Markets, etc., is great - have fridge/freezer and toilet with us is perfect. Parking has been easy everywhere. Disconnecting at a campground is a 5 minute affair and 2 minutes upon return to hook back up! So far we could not have chosen a better RV for our lifestyle.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:00 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
When it started getting a bit cool for this Florida boy stopped in a Home Depot in Portland Maine and bought a three speed fan driven portable electric heater with tipper protection. Set it up on the floor up front at night, off, and then flip it on in AM - in 15 minutes all is warm and toasty.
Could you please explain why you didn't use the vehicle's own furnace ? Thanks.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 12:13 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
OK - so far one month into journey -- So far we could not have chosen a better RV for our lifestyle.
Sounds great Joe!

Glad it's working out for you. Sounds like we travel the same way (except we don't do campgrounds....pretty much stay 100% off the grid) and use the AI to "see the sights" in addition to being our rolling bedroom, kitchen, and bathroom!
Old 09-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
Could you please explain why you didn't use the vehicle's own furnace ? Thanks.
I think the idea is to use the free electricity at the campground than the LP tank that you have to pay to refill.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote