Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by csb333 View Post
I have a 2020 AI 19 TB and am very disappointed by the House Battery capacity (2 80 AHR AGM) and 1000W Converter. It also appears there is some type of drain with Master Electric switch off. Any ideas? Feels like it needs a Lithium Upgrade and a new inverter? Has anyone upgraded the AI 19 with Lithium and larger Converter? Interested in how you managed particularly space, battery and inverter locations?
I just went through mine on the weekend to see if I could find the hidden power draw.

When the master switch is OFF the propane monitor will still be active. So users have added a switch to shut the monitor off but they need to make sure that it is switched back on when the trailer is being used so that adds some coordination.

When the master switch is ON but everything is turned off, the USB ports keep drawing power and in out case, the stereo clock was on and the HDMI converter was also on. These are very small draws but can make a difference and pull the battery down over a week or so.

In my case, I unplugged the stereo and the HDMI converter. I left the USB ports and propane monitor active and I am seeing about 0.17 amp draw so not too bad now.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Menlo Park , California
Thank you for your experience. Do you have an AI-19? I don’t have a propane monitor other than the CZone which is off at master electrical. I do need to shut off the propane switch. Interested to see how long you can leave your van unplugged?
csb333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Thank you for your experience. Do you have an AI-19? I donít have a propane monitor other than the CZone which is off at master electrical. I do need to shut off the propane switch. Interested to see how long you can leave your van unplugged?
Hi

Unless you have no fuel onboard and have flushed the lines, disconnecting the monitor is a really bad idea. It's drain is enough to take down the batteries in a month or so.

You likely have an inverter, even when off, it pulls way more than the propane detector. Same thing with some speaker / sound systems. There are lots of possibilities.

Best approach is to have some sort of power to the vehicle when it's parked. Solar is one way to do this if it's parked outside.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Quote:
Thank you for your experience. Do you have an AI-19? I donít have a propane monitor other than the CZone which is off at master electrical. I do need to shut off the propane switch. Interested to see how long you can leave your van unplugged?
Hi csb333, sorry, I didn't read that correctly, I don't had an AI but a trailer. There are some systems that you wont be able to shut off as required by a motor vehicle.

The propane monitor being one of them. The only time that you should consider doing this is when it is parked and then just disconnect the battery or run a trickle charger as uncle bob suggested.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Menlo Park , California
Hi Bob, I had just traced the current draw to the inverter and once I turned it off I seemed to have solved 80-90% of the drain issue! Good call.

I am thinking of also installing an isolation switch to disconnect the batteries from the 24 HR circuit/bus. I was also thinking of moving the solar output to the note on the side of the battery in the event it is stored outside? What do you think?
Old 07-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #26
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Hi Bob, I had just traced the current draw to the inverter and once I turned it off I seemed to have solved 80-90% of the drain issue! Good call.

I am thinking of also installing an isolation switch to disconnect the batteries from the 24 HR circuit/bus. I was also thinking of moving the solar output to the note on the side of the battery in the event it is stored outside? What do you think?
Hi

If you put an isolation switch in, be sure it's rated for enough current to do the job. It should only be used when you have removed all fuel from the vehicle ( = long term storage). It likely will disable a variety of protective sensors ....

Not quite sure what the "note on the side of the battery" refers to. The solar *should* go straight to the battery. Indeed you will have the parasitic drain of the solar charge device, but that's the way it goes.

The bottom line is still that these vehicles are not designed for weeks power down ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #27
SWH
3 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
I spoke to a salesperson at our local Airstream dealer today about ordering a 2021 Interstate 24GT. He said that Airstream informed them that starting with orders placed on August 1 there will be an option to spec a lithium battery upgrade with an additional 100 watts of solar for $2000. I am thrilled to hear this. He didn't have details yet of the lithium battery capacity but said Airstream told him that capacity will be greatly increased over the stock 4 AGMs.
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
I spoke to a salesperson at our local Airstream dealer today about ordering a 2021 Interstate 24GT. He said that Airstream informed them that starting with orders placed on August 1 there will be an option to spec a lithium battery upgrade with an additional 100 watts of solar for $2000. I am thrilled to hear this. He didn't have details yet of the lithium battery capacity but said Airstream told him that capacity will be greatly increased over the stock 4 AGMs.
The lithium option was just discussed in another thread. They are going to be Battle Born lithium batteries. See this thread for more details.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...ml#post2388808
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Menlo Park , California
Isolation Switch

Hi Bob,

So here is my plan. I will put a battery isolation switch coming off the negative leads of the 2 AGM house batteries before they go to ground bolt.
Wonít this stop all leakage? Do you see any downsides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Unless you have no fuel onboard and have flushed the lines, disconnecting the monitor is a really bad idea. It's drain is enough to take down the batteries in a month or so.

You likely have an inverter, even when off, it pulls way more than the propane detector. Same thing with some speaker / sound systems. There are lots of possibilities.

Best approach is to have some sort of power to the vehicle when it's parked. Solar is one way to do this if it's parked outside.

Bob