Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
New back camera

The image on my original backup camera was quite dark when I bought the coach 13 months ago. Over time, it darkened even more, even with the controls set at max. brightness. No way to tell whether it was the camera or the display. By last week, I could barely see my Smart in tow.

Airstream sure went the "cheap" route when they picked the original camera. I find it everywhere on the net for $60 to $75 and on EBay for less than $35. The only thing worthwhile about the original was the clamps to attach the display to the rear view mirror.

I finally broke down and ordered a "Yuwei" wireless camera and display. I'll use the 12v and ground wires in the existing cable to power the display and camera. The new camera and display are of very obviously higher quality than the original set and include IR illumination for night use. The camera mounting will also allow me to get the camera up and away from the high-mounted brake light so I won't be as dazzled by the brake light at night.

Tomorrow is to be rainy and colder, so I'll install the display at the storage yard and test out the camera. I'll bring the coach home later, in better weather, to install the camera.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I agree Airstream's rear view cameras are not up to the standard you'd expect. My '2012 has a Pyle PLCM7200 rear view monitor and Pioneer rear camera. Far from good resolution and hard to see on bright days. I believe mine is functioning properly, but, if I turn up the brightness, the image just washes out.

I just viewed a Colonial RV video on the 2018 Interstate and the rear view monitor looks the same as mine. Anyone know if they've improved the screen resolution?

I'm hoping to find a better replacement since I use mine for driving because even as it is, it's better that a mirror. Very interested in how your's works out, but I'd really like to find a wired replacement since I don't have good luck with wireless devices.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:48 PM   #3
Contributing Member

I have the same Pyle display, not sure about the camera. I assumed it was the one that came with the Pyle display. Airstream apparently did not change between 2012 and 2014.5.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-17-2018, 05:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I bought this one:

http://amzn.to/2EJRf9T

It sets up a local wifi network and you can then connect to that network with your phone or tablet. I haven't quite figured out where I want to mount this but am thinking next to the 3rd brake light and going through there to get power.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
...I haven't quite figured out where I want to mount this but am thinking next to the 3rd brake light and going through there to get power.
Somebody else, at some point, asked me to post this close-up photo below because they had a similar "haven't quite figured out" moment.

The issue with mounting in the location you describe is the curvature of the van body and the challenge of creating a good strong base. My husband had this mating piece 3-D printed, but even with that the curvature could not be reproduced well, and he had to grind it down. But it does work.

This is one of the few DIYs for which I never pulled together a decent blog summary, but the Air Forums thread discussing the work is located here.

It's a time-consuming job but not very difficult in terms of technical factors. The wires were easily fished behind the cabinets.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Somebody else, at some point, asked me to post this close-up photo below because they had a similar "haven't quite figured out" moment.

The issue with mounting in the location you describe is the curvature of the van body and the challenge of creating a good strong base. My husband had this mating piece 3-D printed, but even with that the curvature could not be reproduced well, and he had to grind it down. But it does work.

This is one of the few DIYs for which I never pulled together a decent blog summary, but the Air Forums thread discussing the work is located here.

It's a time-consuming job but not very difficult in terms of technical factors. The wires were easily fished behind the cabinets.

I saw that. I have no access to a 3D printer. Where did he pull power from?
Old 02-17-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I saw that. I have no access to a 3D printer. Where did he pull power from?
I have a printer... if I get the files I can print you one and send it over (just as a favor, so no charge). I look for excuses to play with the printer, lol.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I have a printer... if I get the files I can print you one and send it over (just as a favor, so no charge). I look for excuses to play with the printer, lol.
I will see if LB3 would mind loaning us the file. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

Would LB3 be willing to share the file?
Old 02-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
I bought this one:

It sets up a local wifi network and you can then connect to that network with your phone or tablet. I haven't quite figured out where I want to mount this but am thinking next to the 3rd brake light and going through there to get power.
Your model certainly has good reviews on Amazon. While I'm generally leery of wireless, I'm curious if it works well for you. Since I have the Avenue model with fiberglass roof, I wonder if that is better or worse than the Interstate's metal roof for letting in wireless signals?

I was really hoping that the newer model-year monitors (that look the same as mine) might actually be improved resolution, yet a direct plug-in replacement. Guess I'm just lazy and looking for the easy plug-in solution with no major re-wiring.

I use my original rear-view monitor continuously when driving and it is fine on cloudy days, but when bright sun is shining through the windshield it is not bright enough to see the image well. Adjusting the brightness and contrast settings just wash the image out.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Your model certainly has good reviews on Amazon. While I'm generally leery of wireless, I'm curious if it works well for you. Since I have the Avenue model with fiberglass roof, I wonder if that is better or worse than the Interstate's metal roof for letting in wireless signals?

I was really hoping that the newer model-year monitors (that look the same as mine) might actually be improved resolution, yet a direct plug-in replacement. Guess I'm just lazy and looking for the easy plug-in solution with no major re-wiring.

I use my original rear-view monitor continuously when driving and it is fine on cloudy days, but when bright sun is shining through the windshield it is not bright enough to see the image well. Adjusting the brightness and contrast settings just wash the image out.
I will be sure to let everyone know how it works.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
I bought this one:

What type of delay do you experience with the image? The one I have has about a 2 second delay. So using it for backing up and seeing if the lane is clear is not very accurate.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
What type of delay do you experience with the image? The one I have has about a 2 second delay. So using it for backing up and seeing if the lane is clear is not very accurate.
I haven't tried it yet. Rain, rain, rain. According to the video on the Amazon page, they fixed the delay problem.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
Contributing Member

New camera/display installed

I still have some clean-up work to do, but my new wireless system gives me crystal clear images. Quite a change from the dark original system.

I started by removing the rear view mirror completely. The area where the mirror is attached is fairly flat. I cleaned the area with alcohol and applied the sticky monitor mount. I checked clearance behind and augmented the adhesive with several short screws. The monitor hangs very nicely where the mirror would have been.

I removed the blank filler above the map lights and the cage behind that. I was able to fish out all of the nightmare of wires that Airstream installed and let the wires hang vertically so I could work on the connections. Since my new system is wireless, I was able to eliminate everything in that rat's nest except a fused 12v and ground. Since the camera will be on full time, I disconnected the backup wire. I also deleted the Pioneer camera interface.

I found that the rear camera is served by 3 wires; red, yellow, and blue. I used red for 12v and blue for ground.

I still need to permanently attach the camera mount. The area where the camera mounts is fairly flat on my coach, so this should not be a problem. I also need to solder my temporary twisted connections and cover with shrink tubing.

The camera and display were paired as received, so I had an image in about 3 seconds when I powered up. The advantage of a higher-end wireless system is resistance to interference. I started some interference sources (fan, microwave, ceramic heater) and saw no effect on the display.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-17-2018, 04:55 PM   #15
Contributing Member

Old camera vs new camera

This is a mouse and elephant type comparison. The new camera has a much larger lens, as well as IR illumination for night use.

The old mount was simply glued to the sheet metal. The new mount will be placed using 3M adhesive. Two holes will be drilled and screws added to insure that the much heavier camera stays in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180217_140205.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	304438  
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Would LB3 be willing to share the file?
Absolutely (I assume he still has it). We'll try to pull that info in the next couple of days.

We don't have a 3D printer - he ordered it off the internet.

Edit: Regarding the power, we think it pulls from the head unit. We did not go with wireless because wires have to be run regardless for the power, and if you're in for a penny, might as well be in for a pound. And with everything we've got going on now in this van, I'm glad I don't need to contend with another wireless signal.

A related something to think about.... I'm at the point of considering on-vehicle exterior security cameras, the type that are sometimes used on 18-wheelers. If you ever think you might want or need that kind of thing and you are wiring for a new back-up camera anyway, it might be a good time to lay extra wiring. My prelim research suggests that the high def trucker security systems are wired-only at this point. There are wireless versions available, but they are lower-def, which I don't want.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
This is a mouse and elephant type comparison. The new camera has a much larger lens, as well as IR illumination for night use.

The old mount was simply glued to the sheet metal. The new mount will be placed using 3M adhesive. Two holes will be drilled and screws added to insure that the much heavier camera stays in place.
Thanks for the update. I'm not sure why upgrading the backup camera/monitor system is not a bigger topic.

How about a picture of your new rear view monitor setup? The Amazon ad just shows a smartphone ap, but sounds like you mounted a new screen on your windshield.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Thanks for the update. I'm not sure why upgrading the backup camera/monitor system is not a bigger topic.

How about a picture of your new rear view monitor setup? The Amazon ad just shows a smartphone ap, but sounds like you mounted a new screen on your windshield.
Agree this is an important topic. I like how small and discrete the OEM camera is but I'd love to swap to a little longer focal length. It's so darn wide angle now that by the time I know for sure there's a car back there, they are right behind me. I know they're trying to make it so you don't back into a kid standing at your rear bumper, but surely there's a compromise?

For side viewing / blind spot safety, I have my side mirrors set way out so I have to lean a lot to make my side mirrors view the path behind me. This topic has been discussed before here and it's what professional drivers preach... you do not want to see behind you in your side mirrors... that's what a rear view mirror is for, there should be no overlap of in the three images. This makes a huge safety difference. Even on your passenger car, if you can see any part of your vehicle in your side mirrors, they are set way too far inward. Thank for listening to this public service announcement.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
As InterBlog mentioned, I'll share the file when I get home. To copy the curve I waded up some aluminum foil and mashed it against the roof and then traced the foil'mold' onto graph paper's high I read off the paper as accurately as I could. It was far from a perfect fit but worked well enough with a bit of sanding.

Here are some pics from the other thread:
camera:

Base and custom insert:

LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #20
Contributing Member

Quote:
This is not the camera mentioned in the link. My new camera has a 7" TFT monitor that is crystal clear. The camera and monitor are paired so that interference is minimized.

Unfortunately, it is drizzling today and I can't finish the camera installation. The camera is laying on the roof under plastic. It was totally dry in north Austin where I was this morning, but the drizzle started a couple of miles from home.

I'll post photos as soon as I can finish the installation. In the mean time, here's the camera I bought. $209. I went for a higher end camera to get good waterproofing and paired communication between camera and display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New camera.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	304478  
WBCCI #9632