Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2014, 04:45 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The Airstream Store responded to my query re: Interstate stuff. Said she has a few Interstate items in the works and hope to get by Christmas.
That's good to hear!

Silhouettes, I hope. Would have pretty universal appeal to all of us.

Maggie
Old 12-03-2014, 06:54 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a single feature that an Airstream Interstate offers that no other competitor does. I can't think of any. ...

The fact that the Airstream Interstate leads the pack in sales despite the price tag indicates that the total package (despite its faults) is well-received, but there is nothing uniquely Airstream about the Interstate.
Having looked at many, many Class B's prior to purchase, I disagree. The AI offers an artistic substrate that no other vehicle has. It is distinguished by its cachet. That is not a feature that is the slightest bit important to some people, or even noticed by some people, but it is important to me.

Especially when traveling, we are typically immersed in a world of mass-produced tilt-wall restaurants selling nutritionless food-like products rather than actual food, and airplane interiors outfitted with features and procedures designed to disrespect our bodies and vacuum money from our wallets rather than expand our awarenesses or even make us the tiniest bit comfortable (not to mention TSA security lines that can be up to 1.2 miles long as happened at Chicago Midway this past week). When I sit in that kind of environment, I just want to shut down my brain and block everything out. When I sit in our Interstate, I look at the effort that went into crafting a beautiful interior and I instead want to ponder life's possibilities. It's the difference between "When will this end?" and "What's next?"

The other Class B's we looked at were similarly equipped (one got the impression that many of them were Interstate knock-offs) but their designs tended to be mechanistic, unimaginative. I told my husband that I wanted a *nice* motorhome or I seriously wanted none whatsoever. Because if I have to look at abject ugliness, then we might as well just keep on connecting through Liberty International like we always have.

We are unusual in that we have spent almost the last 5 years DIY-customizing a home that we custom-built to start with. It has involved an incalculable amount of work but when I look back on it, I conclude that every bit of it was worth the time and effort. I now wake up every morning and think, "Wow, I can't believe I live here." If I don't get the same impression from a motorhome, it's not worth it to me.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Having looked at many, many Class B's prior to purchase, I disagree. The AI offers an artistic substrate that no other vehicle has. It is distinguished by its cachet. That is not a feature that is the slightest bit important to some people, or even noticed by some people, but it is important to me.
It's important to me as well, else I wouldn't have spent the extra money to buy an Interstate. But intangibles are not features that can be used for brand identification.

With the trailers, there are tangible features that separate Airstreams from the rest of the herd, most notably the distinctive aerodynamic shape and riveted aluminum semi-monocoque construction. Things that allow the use of "Live Riveted" as a catchphrase and the letter A superimposed over a trailer silhouette as a trademarked logo.

While one instantly gets an impression of higher quality when one steps inside an Interstate, it's an overall effect— an ambiance if you will— not something marketable that can be used for a catchphrase or logo. In other words, it's not something that catches the limited imagination of an advertising executive trying to develop a merchandizing strategy.

Maybe if the Interstates had their own distinctive logo or something…
Old 12-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
I have an older model Interstate - an 2007. One of the things that I really like is the Aluminum wrapped interior. It adds much light bounce and makes it seem roomier. I really struggled with selling our 1986 AS Motorhome due to its Aluminum goodness. I like to think of the Interstate as all aluminum on the inside and that it is "Aluminum at heart". The Aluminum interior coupled with the style of the furniture give it a streamlined feel and add to the roominess. I believe that the Aluminum interior is unique to the Airstream.

Kate
Absolutely totally hands-down emphatically agree.

One of my main hobbies is photography, and the possibilities presented by that aluminum are endless. I have already spent a lot of time messing with cross-lighting, which is softened by the dispersion effects of the aluminum. Even a simple photo of a light fixture being removed from the ceiling takes on a magic realist quality under those conditions.

The aluminum scatters shorter wavelengths of light in an unusual way. The designer of our 2007 knew what they were doing because the cabinet color is bang-on opposite on the color wheel, which balances the effect and makes the net impression more neutral as opposed to what it would be without such balance, which would be ghoulish. Look at the tonal amplification in the attached pic of this storage basket. It's just a plain light blue four dollar mass-market basket, but in the Interstate's interior, it positively glows courtesy of the aluminum-derived resonance. It's fascinating.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led-replace.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	227939   Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0089 - Copy.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	514.9 KB
ID:	227940  

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Actually, I was sorry to see Airstream Interstates were no longer using the light wood cabinetry that is still being used for the Flying Cloud interiors. That would have helped to maintain the brand image.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Actually, I was sorry to see Airstream Interstates were no longer using the light wood cabinetry that is still being used for the Flying Cloud interiors. That would have helped to maintain the brand image.
Well, if all the warpage that happened in our 2005 Interstate was typical, it is probably just as well. AS seems to be more skillful with synthetic rather than natural materials.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 AM   #47

2012 Interstate Coach
One thing I'd really like to see on the Interstates is a driver's side awning like on the trailers. It wouldn't have to as big as the one on the passenger side, but it sure would be nice to shade those big driver's side windows in the summer months! THAT would be a distinctive feature for Interstates, and if they developed a retofit kit, I'd be first in line to have one installed!

On edit— It dawned on me that comparisons to elephant ears would be almost inveitable if there were awnings on both sides of the van, but that might not be a bad thing; it would lend itself to a distinctive Interstate logo, too!
Old 12-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #48
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Treasure Island , Florida
I agree, why couldn't the same awning on the passengers side be put on the driver's side? I am a little upset that the sun visor doesn't shift over to shade the driver's window. I seem to do more N/S driving here on the east coast and have on numerous occasions wished for a sunshade on the driver's side window.

I'm trying to think of some other uses for the roof rail on the driver's side of my 2013/2014? Any suggestions?
Old 12-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #49

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucet45410 View Post
I'm trying to think of some other uses for the roof rail on the driver's side of my 2013/2014? Any suggestions?
Mount a downward-facing spotlight to illuminate your service area for late-evening arrivals or early-morning departures?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
I agree, why couldn't the same awning on the passengers side be put on the driver's side? I am a little upset that the sun visor doesn't shift over to shade the driver's window. I seem to do more N/S driving here on the east coast and have on numerous occasions wished for a sunshade on the driver's side window.

Just tint your front side windows and be done
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Just tint your front side windows and be done
There ya go!

I have those tinted films you can place wherever you want to, and they work very well.

Maggie
Old 12-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

If you want a second awning on the drivers side it can definitely be done just the same way it is on the passenger side. After all they use these same awnings in the UK. I have seen it done on a Sprinter here in US for a van used for outdoor marketing displays. I haven't found an image of it yet - but I will keep looking. I also know of one up fitter here in the Baltimore are a that has done it, but I've tossed their catalog.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Seems like you could just install an identical awning the same way on the other side. Or maybe have a similar one that doesn't open out as far- maybe only 3'.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #54
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Springfield , Massachusetts
Beautiful!
X New Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
This is the closest thing to fitting in an Interstate.

https://store.airstream.com/product/..._hsmi=15239735

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:49 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Im wondering if I could wrap the interior walls of my 2014.5 interstate in aluminum. I dont like the smudgephilic material they use now
Glamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #57

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper1 View Post
Im wondering if I could wrap the interior walls of my 2014.5 interstate in aluminum. I dont like the smudgephilic material they use now
That "imitation mouse fur" has a sound-deadening effect. Replacing it with sheet aluminum would look more inside-out Airstreamish, but it would probably sound like a bloody oil drum rolling down the road.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Mouse fur
Glamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #59
X New Yorker

2013 Interstate Coach
Springfield , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
I will soon see if the Interstate folks are really the "red-headed step child"of the bunch. I am meeting with my local chapter of WBCCI next month. I think I am the only Interstate owner in the chapter. Doubt it will be "strange". These folks are good people. This post is made with "tongue-in-cheek". But I'll keep ya'll informed.
Hi,

Just wondering if you attended your meeting and how you made out?

Happy New Year!
X New Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:12 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
@X New Yorker... Yes, we did attend the meeting. There were a few raised eyebrows when I answered the "What model do you have?" question, but everyone was very friendly. Seemed to be a very active group, with lots of travel stories. Having another get together in Feb. Making plans for the coming year....