Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
'New' 2006 Interstate (Mid-bath)

Well, I took the plunge and bought a 2006 Interstate. I really wanted a low miles, mid-bath and they seem to be hard to find.
I paid too much I think- but similar ones near here are just as much. Oh well, it comes with a warranty and in super condition.
We pick it up next week, and drive it home to The NW corner of Washington State.

Wish me luck!

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That's what I have, had it 9 years, and still love it.

Congratulations, and welcome.

Maggie
Old 10-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Thanks!
I read many, many posts about different layouts, pro and cons of each.
I saw where you mentiond how much you like this layout and some pics from Interblog really helped me out.
The wide open back end really appeals to me and I think will work especially well for what I'm hoping to do with it.

Up Northern California coast to start, then perhaps Oregon (,depending on weather) or cut over in Oregon some place.
Just wing it.

All the information here has really helped me think about what I would like.

Mark
Old 10-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
We too have a 2006 mid bath AI and are very pleased. We were out on the Sonoma coast this morning and I am always amazed how comfortable and easy it is to drive. We have had ours a little over 3 years and have enjoyed every minute with very few issues. Learn to double check before you fuel though so you never make the mistake of putting in gasoline. You can guess how I learned to do this!
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebtown View Post
We too have a 2006 mid bath AI and are very pleased. We were out on the Sonoma coast this morning and I am always amazed how comfortable and easy it is to drive. We have had ours a little over 3 years and have enjoyed every minute with very few issues. Learn to double check before you fuel though so you never make the mistake of putting in gasoline. You can guess how I learned to do this!
Thanks, good tip. Doesn't hurt to be double certain. (I have not had a diesel before, although lots of pre-mix motorcycles and a couple of pre-mix cars)

We will be going right by you.

Mark
Old 10-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Check the connections to the grey water tank. They ALL shear off. Look for InterBlog's posts on the repairs.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
So it's a rear sleeper then, not a rear lounge? (Both are "mid-baths"... Airstream was a bit imprecise with its terminology in those years). Please post pics if you are ok sharing... I'd love to see it.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Yes, a rear sleeper.
I'll post up some pics.

I will check the grey and black water tanks connections (I did read the blog post, very informative)

Mark
Old 10-21-2016, 07:18 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
N. Hollywood , California
We've had our 2005 mid bath ai for over 2 years now. It had 48k miles when we bought it and it's just got over 70k now.
We flew up to Whidbey Island in Washington state to get ours.
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcolin2u View Post
We've had our 2005 mid bath ai for over 2 years now. It had 48k miles when we bought it and it's just got over 70k now.
We flew up to Whidbey Island in Washington state to get ours.
I'm not far from Whidbey- going to California to get this one,

Mark
Old 10-21-2016, 09:47 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I'm not far from Whidbey- going to California to get this one,

Mark
We liked it up there so much we're moving up there next year 👍
Old 10-21-2016, 11:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
My brother had a place not far from the Keystone ferry.

I was born here in Port Angeles, love it here.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Love the Pacific NW. Lived on Whidbey Island for eight years with Navy. Then nine years in Seattle on a 737 project wth Boeing.

Wish I was back there again, but life went another direction for me and I'm settled in Maryland.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
My brother had a place not far from the Keystone ferry.

I was born here in Port Angeles, love it here.
We're going to be living close to Deception Pass state park it's going to be a nice change from LA
Old 10-23-2016, 02:52 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I wouldn't last a week in LA!
Old 10-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I'll put the rest in the 'pics of Interstates'

Old 10-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
The trip up the coast went great.

No issues (other than the refrigerator didn't want to start on gas- works fine now).
Got 23-24 MPG, ran perfectly the whole time.

We stopped a lot, took it easy and had loads of fun. Poured rain most of the time- so a good test for leaks (none). We did get some sun though.
Stayed at campgrounds (rather than finding hidden sites), county, state and even commercial.
I don't like how they jam people in the commercial ones, but this time of year they were mostly empty- so not so bad.

The layout worked really well, especially liked it when it when the weather cleared and could open the back doors all the way and have it wide open.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:42 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I hope to see more of those floor-to-ceiling money shots from you in the future, given that the RS is the only Interstate model that makes them possible in that way (GT Twin sort of, but there are cabinets at the top of the back doors and the beds don't jack-knife out of the way).

You'll notice that there's a trim piece at the top of your rear doors, to match the sides stylistically. I had to remove that to expose the vertical section of steel frame there in order to attach my prototype magnetic bug screen. If you plan on being a rear door junkie like me, you'll need one of those. There are commercial options and home-made options. Not satisfied with any of the high-dollar commercial options, in part because they've been mosquito netting and not no-see-um netting, I've been working on a custom screen. I'm still using my incomplete prototype, but I've vowed that I MUST produce a finished product prior to our next big trip. It's a pain in the rear end to make it with the degree of precision that I feel we need, so I've sorta been putting it off. I'll blog instructions when I get it done.

Also, if you leave the doors open frequently, you'll probably want to protect them somehow. There's sudden rain, bugs, and in some campgrounds with emboldened wildlife looking for food scraps, birds will want to sit on the door edge and poop down the sides (ask me how I know this). My interim solution for that has been to slit a contractor-grade (thickest plastic) jumbo trash bag down the side (to allow for the hinge) and slip it over the door for protection. Here's a pic with one door open, trash bag in place, and screen in place. We were experiencing Assault of the Stinging Caterpillars this day, so I only opened one door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_3526.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	274636  
Old 11-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Yes, I most certainly want screens. The commercial ones are too much and I didn't really like them anyway.
Keep me posted on what you come up with, I have a couple of ideas, but haven't done anything yet. (I need to replace the cam chains on my Eurovan MV that I'm selling, 17 hour flat rate! I'm not looking forward to it).

The door cover idea is great also, maybe some nylon? It would be nice when it rains a bit also.

I will certainly take more pics- if it stops raining before the snow, I'll try to buzz up to Hurricane Ridge for some pics. ( it rained over three feet for October out in Quinault, west and a little south of here)

The reason I paid a premium for this one is I really wanted this layout, partly due to the pics you had posted- I could see where that would match up great with how I want to use it. Well, it also. Only had 35k miles and in supurb condition.

Mark
Old 11-01-2016, 09:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I thought about nylon, but so far the door cover has been very much a K.I.S.S. solution. The trash bag works wonderfully. During last week's camp-out in West Texas (blog post link), the hinge-cut lower edge of the plastic also flapped around noisily in the overnight breeze, and cast weird shadows when I left the porch light on. This was desirable because I believed (and my dog believed) that there were some javelinas out there in the darkness who wanted a piece of my dog. So it provided a scarecrow type of effect that allowed me to feel a bit more secure with the door still being left open overnight. Nylon would not be waterproof and would not make noise, and in another situation if I don't want the plastic to flap around overnight, I can just stick a magnet on the lower edge.