Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2016, 05:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Your unit looks exactly like mine, and without burner covers.

You might consider getting one of these, which we picked up in our first year or so.

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/insta...-uOxoCaBzw_wcB

It rides very nicely on the burners, is well made and sturdy, attractively covers your burners and gives you some extra counter space...especially nice when using a toaster, a crock pot, etc.

Although the old one had not broken, it did get scratched with lots of use over time, and I replaced it a year or so ago with a new one.

Maggie
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Great idea!
Thanks!

I recall you saying that you didn't use the original table. I tried it, and actually liked it (mostly)
It is too darn heavy though and clunky to take out and put away. I may make one out of aluminium, perhaps with original legs or maybe something different.
Some sheet aluminium, weld some leg receptacles on...pretty easy. Plus it would match the other interior.

The folding table ideas are good too.
The problem we found is there is no place to put anything back there (drink, etc) and the table was nice and handy for that.
Hmmmm
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Old 11-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
Great idea!
Thanks!

I recall you saying that you didn't use the original table. I tried it, and actually liked it (mostly)
It is too darn heavy though and clunky to take out and put away. I may make one out of aluminium, perhaps with original legs or maybe something different.
Some sheet aluminium, weld some leg receptacles on...pretty easy. Plus it would match the other interior.

The folding table ideas are good too.
The problem we found is there is no place to put anything back there (drink, etc) and the table was nice and handy for that.
Hmmmm
Eddie Bauer. I think, maybe LLBean, has a small, folding, aluminum table...it rolls, actually...that becomes very compact and has a small storage bag. Good for outside or inside, and it stores on the floor behind the driver's seat.

I also bought a couple of years ago a small, collapsible, storage ottoman from WalMart for about $25, which fits perfectly between the benches in the rear, adds extra storage space, and gives a place to set a cup or drink glass.

I got mine in black, because it blends in so well, but they also come in colors.

You might look at the Small Space Living thread here, too, which has tons of ideas from lots of folks.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ng-100347.html

Maggie
Old 11-02-2016, 10:38 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Looks familiar..... is it Tillicum Beach, Oregon?
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
No need to get into welding for the table upfit if you don't want to... here is my smaller table, built on the original Airstream-supplied legs. Blog post describes sourcing and instructions but I'm on my phone and can't easily link. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1478106676.993168.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	274688
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Looks familiar..... is it Tillicum Beach, Oregon?
Lost Creek state wayside Oregon - a bit north.

Just a pullout just off the highway.
But it had gotten sunny and a great view.

Mark
Old 11-02-2016, 01:20 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
No need to get into welding for the table upfit if you don't want to... here is my smaller table, built on the original Airstream-supplied legs. Blog post describes sourcing and instructions but I'm on my phone and can't easily link. Attachment 274688
I wonder if one could make the table slide to each side (couch to couch) so that one could walk by on either side depending on which couch someone was at that was using it?
itsmeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeok View Post
I wonder if one could make the table slide to each side (couch to couch) so that one could walk by on either side depending on which couch someone was at that was using it?
The original table does slide side to side.
If I fabricate one, I'd keep that feature I think.

But still looking into options.

Mark
Old 11-02-2016, 04:44 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
A table could be made to slide, but I didn't incorporate that feature into mine because I didn't see a need. If we are not eating together, then one of us will probably be using the table when the other is either asleep or driving, so not much movement will be occurring. Plus a person can scoot by it across the couch, even though it is fixed. Plus there's the side door for ingress egress.

Plus I had plans from the start to incorporate the perforated aluminum in very sleek and minimalist ways besides the table (blog link), so I wanted the table to be simple. The next items I made were the shelves suspended beneath the rear cabinets, which replaced the ghastly plastic light fixtures. The perforated aluminum will probably be incorporated into the lithium battery system as well, as a ventilation screen or perhaps as a mounting panel for the instrumentation.

With so many Interstate projects still ahead of us, I opt for simplicity wherever possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-shelf.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	274723  
Old 11-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
26 MPG last fill!

Out for a trip over NOCA
Here is a crummy cell pic on the PT ferry.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Anacortes , Washington
Nice ferry picture

We have had our Interstate on the Port Townsend ferry often. Last time we were right at the front and we got a little wet!
Ours is a 2007 built on a 2006 Freightliner Sprinter now rebadged as a Mercedes. It is a mid bath model but with the couch across the back. It has the two tone blue paint scheme and we have a small 4 x 6 enclosed trailer painted to match which allows us to take all the "extra" stuff, (bikes, BBQ, 65 quart Yeti cooler Etc Etc).
We live in Anacortes, have had our Interstate since 2011 and have thoroughly enjoyed the 60,000 miles added since we bought it. No problems really except for the grey water drain leak issues described very well on Alison's Interblog. We had our leak(s) fixed by a great RV shop in Sedro Wooley which we'd recommend for any RV work. Also if you ever need a terrific garage for Sprinter work we have been very happy with Kaiser's garage in Oak Harbor. They only work on Mercedes and BMW's and after 3 years going there don't plan to go anywhere else.

Like everyone else we have done many mods to our Interstate and enjoy reading about other's experiences on this Forum. We are big fans of the Interblog and have shamelessly taken info and many ideas from this valuable resource.

Enjoy your "new" Interstate. We have been everywhere with ours and still love it - five cross country trips so far - the most recent this past summer - 6 weeks and 7.200 miles and our latest - a week to Tofino on nearby Vancouver Island just a couple of weeks back.

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures.
Interstate20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:59 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
We had a great three day trip.
PA to PT and across the ferry to Keystone.
up Hwy 20, through Sedro Woolley, Marblemount- across the North Cascades Hwy (Rainy Pass, Washington Pass) to Winthrop

Stayed in a nice little place called 'Pine Near' only a block from the middle of 'town'. Very friendly woman helped checked us in and very pleasant stay. Not many people in it, so no crowding at all.

Continued along 20 in the morning, Then off 153 through Methow and picked up 97 south.
Did 97 A (through Chelan, Entiat etc) and then picked up 2 West.
Stopped in Leavenworth. Another 'in town' site, very few there so was nice to be able to walk to town.

I was thinking of going down to Chinook or White pass, but the weather in the mountains was crummy. So we just when over Bluet pass, through Cle Elum then stopped in Roslyn. I hadn't been there in many years, if ever.
then just a cruise across Snoqualmie pass, to why 18- through Auburn to I5.
South to 16, and west back to PA.

Fun trip, I haven't filled it to see what sort of mileage I got over the whole thing- but first part was 25mpg, even over three passes.

Now to buckle down and pull the transaxle on the Eurovan- replace the cam chains- then put it all back together. (17 hour flat rate). It is part way done, but I need to finish it up and sell it.

Mark

A bit better pic on the PT ferry
Old 11-28-2016, 05:58 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
The Eurovan MV job is done! Runs better than it ever has now- but what a huge job (probably about $2500 if I took it to the shop, almost all labour)
Now to find a new owner for it- it worked out great for us and learned a lot a both what I would like, want etc in something with more space and capability.

Just a number of day trips since the last few day one. Starting to get snow in the passes, and that limits the direction more.
Really (unless I go out of the country) the only directions to go here are East or west. No roads south (well, 17 miles to Hurricane Ridge) and water to the North. But I like going around the canal and out on the west end. I'm worked at Quinault for five years and still have a soft spot for it.

Mark
Old 12-04-2016, 09:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I did a few mods.

Added seat heaters to both seats.
Pretty easy fitting the elements, I didn't even remove the passenger side seat. The base pops right off and there was good access to the back.
The wiring took longer, figuring where to route, install switch and get key power etc.

Works great and well worth the effort. I took it out to got motorcycle (dirt) today. It was 35°f this morning and the warm seat was great.

I also got a Garmin 6" 'RV' GPS with wireless rear veiw camera. I just tied it I to the reverse lamps for now, but will fit a diode so I can turn it one any time I want (and still have auto when in reverse)

I'll take a few pics.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
No pics of GPS and backup camera yet.

A bit snowy (rare for here)
Old 12-07-2016, 05:52 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
No pics of GPS and backup camera yet.
You're adding a back-up camera? Here's our Air Forums thread on adding backup and side cameras. My husband designed our side cameras to activate whenever the signal comes on. So, signal left and the left camera comes on; signal right and see right view automatically. Signal off and it reverts to a rear view. Very helpful, especially in challenging lighting situations.

It was a fairly easy job but I have one regret: Not wiring the cab for both a permanently-mounted dash cam and internet connectivity improvements at the same time. The monitor installation required taking down most of the trim from the cab as well as portions of the overhead bins. Now we are going to have to do that much all over again.

We also added Dynamat and reflective barrier along with the camera system - we had the foresight to do that much, at least. It resulted in a significant improvement in cab insulation.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:38 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mine had a backup camera when I got it, but I understand it didn't work, so the dealer removed the monitor. NOT the camera or wiring.

The camera looked pretty old, and the connections were not labeled etc. so I decided to not use it.
Plus I wanted a GPS anyway.
The Garmin setup had adjustable guide lines, which I really like. A rental I used had them and I found it made it a lot easier to backup with them, rather than just a view.

It is wireless, so I didn't have to run cables or re-use the old cable (it is still there) and super easy just to connect the reverse lamp to activate.

Excellent job on the side view on yours- better than the newer ones since (I understand) you loose the GPS when you activate the turn signal.

How much of a pain is dropping the cab ceiling? Maybe some thinsulate in there would be nice.

Mark
Old 12-08-2016, 06:03 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
How much of a pain is dropping the cab ceiling? Maybe some thinsulate in there would be nice.

Mark
It's not difficult, just time consuming, and it was clearly not intended to be removed repeatedly for the purpose of mods. Some of the connectors on the side posts (which must be removed first) are polyethylene and subject to wear and tear. They are the kind you'd probably prefer to snap in and leave alone.

I have mixed feelings about anything that is described as "wireless". With the temperature and humidity fluctuations in our Interstate, I find that batteries of all types only last a fraction of the time that they would in a stick house. I'm constantly replacing batteries.

Anyway, if you pull your ceiling off, think about what else you might like to pre-wire. I strongly recommend a dash cam. I have been intending to install one for quite some time and each new near miss bumps it up on my priority list (with all the DIY investment we're putting in our rig, I want irrefutable proof of culpability if it ever comes to an accident). My husband researched and bought the unit we are going to install. We just haven't done it yet because of our other projects.

Here below is an 18-second vid showing a Roadtrek Class B being written off, literally (and here is the owner's story; he was unhurt). He's very glad he had his dash cam.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:21 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Hard to watch that crash!

The camera and wireless portion are powered but the Sprinter- no batteries.
Yes, nothing like cables!

But so far I think this will work well, since I wanted a dedicated GPS anyway.

I have a few helmet cams- I could easily use one of those for a dash cam.
In fact using my latest Sony would be nice for scenics (with lots of editing)

Good idea about thinking of any future wiring.
Perhaps I'll install a couple of conduits. After years of doing telecom and IT work, if I can have a conduit it saves loads of time later. No matter what they say, they always want more drops later! (And the architects never talk to us *before* plans are done or walls closed up)

It has been below freezing a few days (very, VERY rare here)- so I haven't done a few things I want to do on the Interstate.

Mark