Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #221
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I replaced the Thetford with a Dometic 310. We have no odor problem.

I keep the bathroom vent open nearly all of the time, except if heavy rain is expected. Vent fan running for showers and whenever else appropriate.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #222
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
The older models, T1N based, have no direct vent in the wet bath.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #223
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Some great responses.
For our T1N- I’ve never had any excessive odors. I do pour in a bit of commercial tank stuff every so often. But also just use clothes washing detergent (the stuff for front loaders). A bit of that in there seems to smell nice and if the tank has been emptied and just water, it seems to clean it up pretty well.
We certainly use it, but I’ll avoid using it if other options. Due to finding a dump location.

No macerator on the T1N- for the blackwater tank- after dumping it, I’ll just hold the toilet footpedal down and blast water (with a bit of soap) until full. then dump that out, then do it again. I do that every so often and seem to really keep it clean.
Grey Water I’ll put a bit of the soap in also every so often.

I generally leave the bathroom vent open almost all the time (fan on when needed).
(Some models of the T1N have a combined black/grey water tank. I like to dump the grey after the black to flush out the hose. Guess youcan’t Do that with those models. No tank flush attachments)

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:02 PM   #224
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
The older models, T1N based, have no direct vent in the wet bath.
I should say that ours doesn’t others apparently do have them. We have the rear bath with combined tanks.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #225
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Re-reading my post, I neglected to say:

Open the toilet valve and ‘blast water down in until full’ with a garden hose

Easy to put a lot of water in that way.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #226
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
"Mind the back blast..."
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #227
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
We use ours a lot...and it does not smell at all. That's one of the many reasons we have an Airstream--clean toilet and hand washing facility not more than 20 feet away behind you at all times while traveling.

Since we imposed these sort of (admittedly somewhat obsessive) methods for keeping the stink out, our AS smells nice, even after a few months in storage in the California desert heat...
RMKRUM - 100% agree. Use it when needed. Otherwise, what's the point of having the toilet. And with 3 yr. old & now possibly a 1 yr. old travelling with us, it is so easy to just pull into a flat spot for them to have a clean rest room and not worry about public facilities. BTW, I don't think your methods are obsessive. It makes sense. And smells or not, those can be addressed easily by a bit of trial & error as to what works best in one's rv configuration. Though I am surprised you did not come up with a 10th one just to complete the 10 Commandments of RV Toilet Management
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #228
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sigh. So close...[emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #229
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Day 33

We drove into Niagra Falls, parked the AI and walked across the bridge to Canada.
Spent quite a bit of time walking around, had lunch, bobbi took the Canadian boat ride (I just hung out in the shade).
I had not been there in a very long time, she never had. Things had changed quite a lot since my last visit (decades ago).

After walking back across, head headed out I90 and found a State Campsite. Geneva State Park.

It had rained quite a lot and many sites were flooded. Since we needed to dump tanks, get water and charge a bunch of stuff- we got full hookups (not very much more than just electric). But the electric pedestal was in about 8" of water, and didn't work anyway. (the 15 Amp one did, 30 did not).
Well, they had a dump station and place to get fresh water, so we just moved to another site (it was late enough nobody was coming it, and the other was a 'first come first serve' site).
They are making a bunch of new hookup sites, currently only about 4 or 5 of them. (quite a number of electric only).

Except for that, it was a pretty nice place- hardly anyone there.
Showers (charge) also.

201 miles

Niagara pics to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Day 33.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	314571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Geneva St park.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	628.4 KB
ID:	314572  

Old 06-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #230
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Here are some more pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Niagara_MAH2973-s.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	314574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Niagara_MAH2975-s.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	314575  

Name:	Niagara_MAH2979-s.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	314576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Niagara_MAH2983-s.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	314577  

Name:	Niagara_MAH2987-s.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	314578  
Old 06-20-2018, 08:43 AM   #231
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Day 34

In the morning dumped the tanks, filled the fresh water (the only tap was on the entrance station and the wrong side. Rather than monkey with snaking the hose under the AI I just went the wrong way on the one way and did it that way). Went over the beach on the lake- all fogged in but nice and cool. Saw some little foxes (or something like that) playing in the sand.

The original plan was to visit my cousin I have not seen in years in Iowa. It ends up that they were leaving on a trip early in the morning probably the same day we reasonably could have gotten there.
So we just put in miles this day.
I also was going to drop in on the AMA motorcycle museum, but after Barber I thought it would just be a let down and bagged it this trip.

Hit a fair amount of traffic, with a number of slowdowns (very slow) and one of those was by the RV 'Hall of Fame'. I thought that sounded pretty funny but I later saw a post by someone and sounded like a real thing and interesting (we didn't visit).
Just picked a Walmart that was in the evening, late enough not to hang around in a parking lot, but early enough to not get too tired.

It was sort of noisy and quite a number of RVs parked there. But that happens.

352 miles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Day 34.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	314609  
Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #232
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Day 35

We left in the morning and went to the Indiana Dunes State Park- checked out the beach/lake there.

After that we were heading to Malta, IN. (sort of a long story, but we have been going to various 'Maltas' in the States for a few years).
It was a very small town, but had a great little place- 'Remmington's GastroPub'. We had a long lunch there. I like small towns.

After that we headed north, with a stop at an 'Urgent Care' (some sort of 'blister' on her foot, ended up no big deal but looked quite odd) and that went pretty quickly.

There was a State Park not too far. I felt like stopping earlier. Plus one of the original places I wanted to visit was 'Lewis and Clark Caverns' in Montana. I had been there a long time ago (maybe when 8yo) and every time we had gone by it was closed for the season.
but with the holiday weekend reservations appeared full- so bobbi made one for a couple of days right after the holiday. That meant we had extra time anyway.

The park was nice, lots of trees/brush so it didn't feel crowded. We got an electric site (limited number of those). It was hot (for me) and sort of muggy so having power was good. It cooled down in the even and nice and cool in the morning.
We did walk around, getting to the lake.
Showers, dump, fresh water.

Lake Kegonsa State Park.

273 miles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Day 35.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	628.3 KB
ID:	314610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake Kegonsa.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	554.4 KB
ID:	314611  

Old 06-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #233
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
Here are some more pics.

Beautiful. Another destination on our list... very nice.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #234
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Just going back a few photos... love that RakAttach swing-away hitch... shared that with the wife. First reaction was "cool" followed by "but stop buying more @##"!!... I just told here I was looking for ideas. Adding to the list . Thank you for the additional information on it. I still can't decide on left or right...

And that twin-bed setup. Really like the ability to open the doors and just walk out if we wanted to do so... that setup must feel very open/airy... you loose rear storage but I guess that you gain it back under the side benches...

Back to looking at the photos shared.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #235
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Just going back a few photos... love that RakAttach swing-away hitch... shared that with the wife. First reaction was "cool" followed by "but stop buying more @##"!!... I just told here I was looking for ideas. Adding to the list . Thank you for the additional information on it. I still can't decide on left or right...

And that twin-bed setup. Really like the ability to open the doors and just walk out if we wanted to do so... that setup must feel very open/airy... you loose rear storage but I guess that you gain it back under the side benches...

Back to looking at the photos shared.
About the only bad thing about the ‘swing-away’ is the extra weight. But the bike is light. (Note I did not weight it fully loaded for the trip, ignorance is bliss. Actually I went right by the weigh station and just plain forgot)

The couch in the back are ‘jack-knife’ and quickly swing out for one big bed. All manual, no motors or anything. Super easy and quick (same with the shades).
I do very much like the open, airy feel and especially like being able to quickly have a nice place to site with a table and still feel almost outside. Very, very comfy too.

Remember these older vans are smaller, 22’. Maggie just bought the same model, but with a couch across the back (similar to the newer ones). I do not believe there is any storage behind it, although I would speculate there is some underneath.
Yes, there is a fair amount of storage under the rear sofas, the hot water tank and furnace take up some room. Plus the sub-woofer for the optional ‘sound system’ they sold. But while it is better to put heavy stuff down low (I do put the chains there) I have been using it for bedding etc. Easy to ‘stuff’ more in (plus helps with noise from the wheel wells) and if I goof up and the door pops open- no big deal. They do close well and only pop open if I don’t pack properly. I use stuff sacks for pillows, blankets pads etc.
I do also use the rear doors for storage (water hose, filter and misc). Where the hot water heater is located, a small ‘cubby’ is open and I use it for a small electric heater, spare EGR and nitrile gloves.

Thanks for the kind words.

Mark
Old 06-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #236
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Day 36

Headed out on the Interstate for awhile, then at the Mississippi, turned north on 14 toward Reads Landing MN.
bobbi found some brewpub listed and got us off the interstate also.
Great food and brew.

After that headed west on 60, then south through Rochester.
Picked up I90 and got to a Walmart at Worthington. Watched someone move their 5th wheel about 32 times until getting someplace they must have liked.
Pretty quiet.

444 miles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Day 36.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	314736  
Old 06-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #237
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For next time...there’s a really beautiful city park campground on the lake in Worthington.

Maggie
Old 06-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #238
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
For next time...there’s a really beautiful city park campground on the lake in Worthington.

Maggie
We went there in the morning, indeed it was very nice. But if I recall (always suspect) it was full that eve.

Thanks

Mark
Old 06-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #239
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Day 37
Left Worthington and just drove I90 to Wall.
Did the obligatory stop at Wall Drug then headed through Badlands NP to our campsite for two nights at Interior.
This was the private owned one (not NP one, which was full anyway) that offered full hookups, showers, laundry etc.
The site we initially had picked did have everything, but there was a better site with water/power only (they had a dump site, so no big deal) that was at the end and had a great view. Quiet place- there was room so not too crowded.

We got there fairly early and just put out the awning (to attempt to stay cool, pretty darn warm out) and look at the view.
We did stop a bunch coming through, but planned to get out early the next morning (beat the heat) and do a short hike- then take the bike on one of the gravel roads.
I'll get some pics up later.

386 miles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Day 37.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	315092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badlands.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	315093  

Name:	Badlands2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	315094  
Old 06-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #240
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Santa Clarita , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
Here are some more pics.
Where did you guys drive from? Me and my wife are going to take a couple of weeks off and drive from California to Niagara Falls.
Moereece is offline   Reply With Quote