Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLWilcox View Post
I have had an active argument with myself about when to purchase.
There are definitely two sides to this argument. I have the 2006 T1N Sprinter that was never more fully finished than when mine was created. I have had ZERO problems with its construction.

When I am trying to figure out the BEST time to buy a new phone I always go with when they make the biggest change, the argument being that I will get the longest life from something brand new. The urge to upgrade will be most distant at that point giving me time to pay it off, to amortize the purchase.

The chances are a new product will have changes that need to be made, the iPhone 5 had battery issues (though not the very first ones I got), There are lots of complaints about the iPhone XS, though none about the X I got last year. But buying from a major manufacturer like Mercedes and Airstream I would think any issues would be freely addressed, and showing off the new features to your friends and family would be worth the wait.

Of course, the year after they will offer full self-driving... (Murphy's Law, that is unless you WAIT for FSD, then it will never come)

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:45 PM   #122
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
My Interstate 19 upgrade video

Here are two quick videos during the remodel of my Interstate 19

https://youtu.be/ul7IOT20VBw
There are two, very short and unedited.
drpeggau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:04 PM   #123
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
^^ thank you!!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:14 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeggau View Post
Here are two quick videos during the remodel of my Interstate 19
DRPEGGAU - Very nice setup! Thank you for sharing. I gotta say, even though this isn't mine, it is still nerve wracking seeing your brand new rig all apart even before you have driven it. I see they are taking precautions taping off vulnerable edges. I have had mine 8 mos. now and just now feeling ok with me taking many things apart.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #125
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
US Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
DRPEGGAU - Very nice setup! Thank you for sharing. I gotta say, even though this isn't mine, it is still nerve wracking seeing your brand new rig all apart even before you have driven it. I see they are taking precautions taping off vulnerable edges. I have had mine 8 mos. now and just now feeling ok with me taking many things apart.
I know what you’re saying but, amazingly, that didn’t bother me at all. Tony is extremely competent and very meticulous. When you see the final product you will be impressed.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:06 AM   #126
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
New 19’ Interstate price and layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLWilcox View Post
ScotP - Since the day I learned about the Interstate 19, I have had an active argument with myself about when to purchase. I promised myself that I would wait until the 2019 Sprinters come out and wait for at least one of my 2 daughters to graduate from college. Both happening - I hope - next summer. I know I will want the updated chassis. Yet, the other side of my argument with myself (the devil side of me) screams to buy one now. Why wait.

If I had your magic to resell each year without much loss, I would feel more comfortable buying now and getting a 2020 or 2021 AI19 with new chassis later.

p.s. I have a deposit for a Sprinter van conversion scheduled to start next summer. The Interstate 19 has put an end to my desire for anything else.

Memories [emoji4]

Hey memories and “getting out there” ...that’s all I’m saying. It can be a rooftop tent on a pickup and it’s an adventure. The 19 looks like a great product to me.

Waiting on the 2020 model

Not directed to MLW - but really to anyone considering a “wait until” approach for the 2020 model.

GASP -

I personally don’t believe the 2020 build is worth waiting for.

In fact I passionately disagree with anyone who feels it’s worth waiting for.

All the 4wd 2019 builds are gone now. You cannot order a 4wd ASI. Next build for the new product is late June (or likely July) per AS corp conversation this week. Will it be delivered on time?

Based upon our personal experience, the build won’t be flawless. Some or most early adopters will be trouble-shooting for AS knowingly or unknowingly (naively).

If you consider the difficulty AS had with “quality” after they added their second line in 2018, and then consider an entirely “new product on a new platform”... well you might understand my perspective.

There’s no test photos (spy shots) of the new build on the new chassis zipping through northern Minnesota in -20F temps, for 30,000 miles for a reason. That’s not the “build and develop” paradigm in this industry (at least I’m not aware of it).

Instead, early adopters identify the problems and fixes through their canceled trips, stranded road side, and multiple service center visits. (example: Fusion fiasco of drained batteries)

Known entity in a product meant to create Joy and new memories:

The current AS product provides wonderful utility, in a seasoned and refined package. The marginal gain from the new chassis and coach are just that - marginal. What’s the point of “diminishing returns” measure here?

No horse in the race ...

Our family is preparing to move to Andalusia Spain region soon, for a year.

We’ve just agreed to sell our wonderful 2019 4x4 + Air interstate coach. Yes, because I agreed with my wife to limit what we retained while in Spain (plus the airport authority doesn’t want anything in the aircraft hangars - except aircraft).

I, for one, believe our 2019 4x4 + air ride is more valuable now than when we purchased. And two buyers agree. And I think it will be worth more in resale next April than it is now.

Yesterday, a $10k premium (over what they paid) was offered on a 2017 4x4 coach we sold. The current owner said “no.” They feel the same way - they aren’t selling because there are fresh adventures still in front of them.

These products are intended to bring joy to your lives, to add utility and expand your “comfort envelope” while traveling. Why would I want to “wait 12-18 months for delivery, and then be a “test pilot” for a product I paid $210k for? For 2.76% increased marginal “perceived” value?

Has my utility increased? No

Do I have everything I need in a dependable package? Yes

Do I want to be a test pilot and troubleshooter? No

But that’s just my opinion.

YMMV
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:23 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Yeah, I can see that perspective. I have spent time on the side of the road, though AAA always bails me out. This week the Tesla I got early this year is getting a self-driving make-over and I cannot wait to go driving. I guess I still have the early adopter mentality.

-Randy
Old 10-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #128
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
SCOTP - just read your last post entirely more than once. Agree with you there on the not waiting. I used to have the "wait until better or newer model comes around" strategy. But as I got older, it changed to "enjoy while I physically am capable".

This paragraph stood out:
"There’s no test photos (spy shots) of the new build on the new chassis zipping through northern Minnesota in -20F temps, for 30,000 miles for a reason. That’s not the “build and develop” paradigm in this industry (at least I’m not aware of it)"

The above is true in NV, UT, CA Death Valley & Amargosa Valley area. This entire summer, we have not seen a single Sprinter in the famous test cladding. Test cars inundate our desert playgrounds in multiple caravans to do the oposite testing in MN, weeks of 120 degree bake-on tests. Many vehicle caravans spotted as usual, but NO Sprinter caravans spotted.

Best wishes on moving to Andalusia. So jealous you could do extended stay. Soak in the culture. NICE! I had an opportunity to attend a cycling training camp there many years ago with a local Spanish pro team program setup for amateurs. Its an athletic/tourist camp. Training in morning, tourist sightseeing in afternoon. It was supposed to be for 5 days. We love so much, ended up extending to 11 days. Wish I can come back for more. But for now, too busy running around enjoying AI
Old 10-05-2018, 04:25 PM   #129
2 Rivet Member

Dataw Island , South Carolina
Help

Trying to post some pictures of our new AI19 arriving at dealership this morning. I get as far as uploading them but lose them when trying to add to my text. Thanks
skiphoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #130
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiphoyt View Post
Trying to post some pictures of our new AI19 arriving at dealership this morning. I get as far as uploading them but lose them when trying to add to my text. Thanks

I’m sorry to hear that!

I’m not an expert at all, I have plenty of “sideways oriented photos.!”

Are you on the AS forum mobile app?

If so, your photo inclusion will be here withClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5343.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	324649 the paper clip
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:05 PM   #131
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
SKIPHOYT - 2 quick workarounds for Android, no idea how to fix if iPhone
1. Crop your pic a smidge before you upload OR
2. Use your favorite photo editor to compress to smaller size before you upload
Old 10-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #132
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Quote:
I finally got to see the 19 in person at the LA show.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4702.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	324697 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4703.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	324698 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4705.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	324700 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4706.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	324701 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4707.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	324702 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4708.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	324703 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4710.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	324704

As you expect, "eez verry niiise". I was worried about the driver position as I remember some of the early Sprinters that had the bath directly behind the driver limited the positions the seat could be put in, but I was able to get too far from the steering wheel, that makes me happy. If I really need to lay back I'd have to move to the passenger position.

The RoadTrek booth had 9 Agiles, guess they felt threatened. I rarely see more than a couple at a show. This year it was the Adventurous that I was not around. The WATT propane fuel cell was there showing off 500 watts of continuous power. Like an EFoy fuel cell you can run on your propane tank instead of having to buy refills from the manufacturer.

I guess the Pleasureway Ascent is the real direct competitor to the Airstream, I didn't spend any time in the Ascent this year as it seems to still be identical to before. The other Sprinter RV assemblers still seem to be staying away from the shorty, except Winnebago who went 4WD and a cockeyed layout for their entry. I know it means you can use the van as a van w/o the rear couch in the way of moving lumber, just cannot sleep in that space they provide. Was more comfortable sleeping in my Tesla Model 3 going down to the show. It was nice to spend so little on the trip, but I own an RV for a reason, next year I will be back in that, with my own food and drinks.

-Randy
Old 10-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #133
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
Oh, hey, look at that! First time I have been able to post pictures since the release of the Atlas when I was at Hershey. Hope that doesn't mean they deleted my old pics to make room...

-Randy
Old 10-08-2018, 08:58 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It’s gorgeous, and would work very nicely for one person.

Maggie
Old 10-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #135
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
First Interstate 19 trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
It’s gorgeous, and would work very nicely for one person.

Maggie
Just Returned from 3 nights in the 19’. My wife said, “After taking this trip, it just confirms to me that we made the right choice with this purchase!” We loved it. Turns out the tiny micro-microwave works perfectly fine and is big enough. Dropped it back off at the dealer because the awning never worked. We knew this before we left. A few additional adjustments and tweaking and I will post a real video.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #136
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeggau View Post
Just Returned from 3 nights in the 19’. My wife said, “After taking this trip, it just confirms to me that we made the right choice with this purchase!” We loved it. Turns out the tiny micro-microwave works perfectly fine and is big enough. Dropped it back off at the dealer because the awning never worked. We knew this before we left. A few additional adjustments and tweaking and I will post a real video.
DRPEGGAU - Good to hear. How did the Norcold T-series fridge workout? Like that fridge better than NovaKool, we are contemplating removing our 2 burner stove (that we will never use) to accomodate that taller Norcold unit.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #137
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Drpeggau - great to read your post and I can’t wait for the full review. How did you fit in the bed? And was it comfortable to sleep in the Nineteen?

Isdavid - thanks for the pictures and comments.
MLWilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #138
2 Rivet Member

Counting the days!

Patrick our sales agent at Colonial sent a message and a picture that he had a surprise delivery overnight...our new Interstate 19 was there! Flight from Charleston to Trenton this Saturday..meet our new baby at the airport and immediately head South back to our home in SC. Super excited and looking forward to a new chapter in our lives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0CA0E686-5620-4047-B2A3-04AE7ED83800.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	324756  
Old 10-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #139
2 Rivet Member

Roller coaster ride!

Quote:
Patrick our sales agent at Colonial sent a message and a picture that he had a surprise delivery overnight...our new Interstate 19 was there! Flight from Charleston to Trenton this Saturday..meet our new baby at the airport and immediately head South back to our home in SC. Super excited and looking forward to a new chapter in our lives.
Talk about emotional swings..all was set for our trip North to take delivery on Saturday. Woke up this morning with the wind howling outside our SC home...checked my emails...one from Patrick at Colonial telling me they would have to cancel Saturday’s delivery. Technician topped off the fuel for delivery and check engine light came on and it would not start. Towed to MB dealer where after 4 days they were still baffled. Josh at MB headquarters, as well as David Starin, general manager Colonial AS have gone out of there way to rectify the situation. We did loose our flight tickets and hotel reservation but they will mske sure all is well before flatbedding it to us. Text this evening from MB that somewhere between their factory and dealership some aftermarket fuses were placed and the coach needed a new battery??? This makes no sense to me but I am impressed with MB/Airstream attention to this. Hopefully ‘Shorty’ will show up next week.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 AM   #140
2 Rivet Member

“Text this evening from MB that somewhere between their factory and dealership some aftermarket fuses were placed and the coach needed a new battery??? This makes no sense to me plus 32 miles on the odometer”

Starting to wonder if this was the unit that was on display at Hershey RV show and marched through by 1000’s. I would think Airstream sales would have to disclose this.