Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2018, 12:03 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I was curious of the Shorty's bed length (which I've always assumed was 72" like the Agile and Ascent). I can find no dimensions in Airstream's information, but finally found this pic of the bed. What in the world were they thinking?????????

Looks to me like they ruined the passenger side for anyone over 5' tall by leaving a big intrusion under the galley. I have no idea why they thought that was acceptable.

I just found a conflicting picture on the '19's bed in Airstream's literature. I still shows an intrusion on the passenger-side of the bed, but much less so than the first picture I posted from Airstream. Still a mistake on their part, in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Shorty bed2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	321282  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I just found a conflicting picture on the '19's bed in Airstream's literature. I still shows an intrusion on the passenger-side of the bed, but much less so than the first picture I posted from Airstream. Still a mistake on their part, in my opinion.
ROWIEBOWIE - I agree, it is not much of a cutout, just the thickness of the jumpseat back cushion. But nevertheless, still indicative of desingn flaw. If this was unforseen, shows lack of willingness/flexibility to invest change to redo the infrastructure behind. The bed is already shortened by removal of flip-down headboard. They didn't need to cut it up, even if they took some room from small galley.

Name:	unit_photo_201807310608137671901158.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	321284

If they used this combo 2-burner/sink, they would have been able to recover all the room they needed.

Name:	Rear-Lounge-Mercedes-Motorhome-7.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	321285
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
I really want to love this Airstream. I am waiting for the 2019 Sprinter before I purchase anything. I had settled on the Pleasureway Ascent because the larger Interstate, which I lusted after for years, was just too long for me. Then here comes the baby Interstate.

The width of the interior is confusing me. The bed is listed as 66” by 73” and interior width as 5’8”. The big Interstate is 5’10” wide. Shouldn’t both have the same width?

I could do without the wardrobe and want lithium batteries/2000 inverter.
MLWilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
ROWIEBOWIE - I agree, it is not much of a cutout, just the thickness of the jumpseat back cushion. But nevertheless, still indicative of desingn flaw. If this was unforseen, shows lack of willingness/flexibility to invest change to redo the infrastructure behind. The bed is already shortened by removal of flip-down headboard. They didn't need to cut it up, even if they took some room from small galley.
Attachment 321284

I guess I'm still confused as to what that is under the galley counter. Your picture shows yet a different view. I looks like a cushioned area, hard to tell if it is permanent and cut out of the bed, but it sure looks like it intrudes in my first picture. I'm going to the Arbogast site to see if they have posted more pictures or perhaps a video.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:29 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLWilcox View Post
I really want to love this Airstream. I am waiting for the 2019 Sprinter before I purchase anything. I had settled on the Pleasureway Ascent because the larger Interstate, which I lusted after for years, was just too long for me. Then here comes the baby Interstate.

The width of the interior is confusing me. The bed is listed as 66” by 73” and interior width as 5’8”. The big Interstate is 5’10” wide. Shouldn’t both have the same width?

I could do without the wardrobe and want lithium batteries/2000 inverter.
Welcome to forum MLWilcox!

I agree with your comments completely. It's great when you can park your RV in your own driveway, use it as a second vehicle occasionally, and avoid paying storage fees.

I've caught Roadtrek listing their full or queen bed dimensions by the longest measurement. Then when they list the sleeping areas as two singles, you find one side is 2"-4" shorter due to galley intrusion. Could be ok if one of the sleepers is shorter than the other, but they should be up front about the real bed size.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:43 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Attachment 321284

If they used this combo 2-burner/sink, they would have been able to recover all the room they needed.
Attachment 321285
The cutout in the cushion is to clear the back of the cabinet when the cushion is in the stowed position. But your Arboghast picture seems to show an additional filler cushion that is missing from the Airstream images.

Wouldn't make much difference to us - my wife's cold feet are always on my side anyway!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #47
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
N
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
The cutout in the cushion is to clear the back of the cabinet when the cushion is in the stowed position. But your Arboghast picture seems to show an additional filler cushion that is missing from the Airstream images.

Wouldn't make much difference to us - my wife's cold feet are always on my side anyway!
UKDUDE - Yes, Arbogast pic & George vid shows a filler. That is used to fill the gap when the jack knife is pulled out since the backrest is not long enough due to the galley box panel that limits it's length. Found a clearer pic from AS archive, but as you noted, also not show filler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2018-09-01-14-03-50-1.png
Views:	119
Size:	482.4 KB
ID:	321302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interstate19-Blog-Featured-Image.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	321303  

Name:	5b7fbdedd816555e5d12ba65.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	321304  
Old 09-01-2018, 03:53 PM   #48

2019 19' International
Currently Looking...
Norcross , Georgia
Can interstate 19 be used to pull horse trailer?
kolarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:06 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

According to Airstream info, the Nineteen can tow 5,000 pounds.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:03 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I'm becoming very curious. The corner & cushion configurations look different in nearly every picture. Wondering if the angles and shadows in the pics are playing with my eyes.

The good news is, the majority of pics show only a slight intrusion in the far corner (unless they showing a bigger intrusion just covered in padding). It's really hard to tell what they're doing.

Old 09-01-2018, 07:45 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I have actually been considering doing a cushion cut out for the sofa convertible "big bed" when made up fully - in the middle by the aisle - I envision this is how the two piece short cushion could be of value.

The reason are...
1) I think it would be easier to actually leave the little cutout out of place when making the bed / when sitting on the edge, because my arms would have more room. 2) I think it would be easier to get up at night. This assumes that neither I or hubby wouldn't need the space for our feet to rest while sleeping.

We are both fit across the back without having to make the side chairs into a bed at night as it is. The older Interstates have little cutouts for the feet under the windows at both sides with a cargo net for storage. We rarely make up the bed into the "big bed" except when on long trips to take advantage of all the extra storage created under the bed then.

I think Advanced RV has a removable piece for the middle of the end of the bed as an option on their bed

Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:26 PM   #52
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Oh man... that bed looks more comfy...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
There is a company (Foam by Mail) that sells a "bridge" for the gaps between two twin beds that make a king bed. It is a wedge in the middle with feathered sides - sort of like joining and filling in between sheetrock and then feathering to finish.

I just ordered one for our Interstate sofa along with a custom mattress pad. I will report back as soon as I get them (about 2 weeks) on how I like them. Our sofa bed being 11 years old now (and we are also older) could use a little more padding!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Lithium 19’

For those who are wondering, the 525 amp hour lithium battery pack that we are installing is from Lithionics battery LLC near Tampa Florida. They are terrific to work with and I spoke with Alec over the phone most of the time. The installation will also include a 3000 W converter/inverter because that is what I feel is best as do they. My local Airstream is doing the installation. In terms of the coach, it has been over 11 weeks and it is still “hold“. Someone who ordered a 24 foot interstate is also on hold so everyone seems to think that it is the canopy that is holding things up but airstream is not being very good about sharing that information. Lastly, I read some complaints about the bed but if it is 66“ x 73“ then that would be the largest in its class and I would be very satisfied with that even though I am nearly 77 inches. Stay tuned and I will let you know as soon as I receive it and post a video including a description of the new lithium battery pack and where it will be placed.
drpeggau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 12:00 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

Drpeggau - so excited for you. I am sorry about the delay in getting your Nineteen. That is a lot of lithium power. It’s good to know it will fit in the AI19. Are you able to run AC with that size battery and 3000w inverter?
Old 09-02-2018, 02:32 PM   #56
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeggau View Post
For those who are wondering, the 525 amp hour lithium battery pack that we are installing is from Lithionics battery LLC near Tampa Florida.

The installation will also include a 3000 W converter/inverter because that is what I feel is best as do they. .
DRPEGGAU - Killer system, especially for 4x4 going off-grid
Old 09-02-2018, 09:09 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
DRPEGGAU - Killer system, especially for 4x4 going off-grid
Yes it’s a lot, I guess. I don’t really know practically speaking but we plan on boondocking as much as possible...meaning in the middle of nowhere, not at Walmart. Not sure how long the ac will run but it’ll be mostly in those too humid to sleep nights. It comes light on solar, 250watts so we’re waiting to see if there’s more room on top. 4x4 is required in some spots, like Death Valley Eureka Dunes. Still excited but the delay does dampen it.
drpeggau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
If you drive some each day, your batteries will be topped up. I think you'll be fine. I envy you for your new rig, not for the wait. Would be a shame if it's just the awning holding your's up.

Inquiring minds will want a lot of pictures once you get it. Good luck!

Old 09-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #59
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeggau View Post
4x4 is required in some spots, like Death Valley Eureka Dunes. Still excited but the delay does dampen it.
DRPEGGAU - Now you're talking, DVNP is in my neck of the woods, short drive from Vegas. We usually take multiple trips there in Nov Dec Jan & Feb. Sometimes stay in Furnace Creek hotel, sometimes tent camping and now full hookups in our AI. When we go to the dunes, we have to take the truck coz obviously my AI is a pave only ride.

PS. That's a long ways to go from Naperville I used to work out of the HP Naperville office near Diehl Rd. from 1984-1989. Hope your AI gets to you soon.k
Old 09-03-2018, 10:08 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
DRPEGGAU - You said you are getting a 3000 watt converter/inverter. I believe you meant a 3000 watt charger/inverter. So some choices are a Magnum MSH-M 3000 watt hybrid or a Xantrex SW 3000 watt. What did you pick?

Also are the solar panels the flexible type or the more tradtional glass rigid type?
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote