Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #21
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Look at the size of that refrigerator.

Maggie
I saw that at Alumapalooza and I wondered why they don't offer that instead of the separate refrigerator and freezer in the Gran Tour. It has a nice freezer section and plenty of refrigerator space. I think it is slightly smaller vertically than the separate units which would free up some storage space.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
I would much rather have that refrigerator in a Grand Tour instead of the two pieces. Hopefully, this could be put in a Grand Tour.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Is it a frig that only runs off the battery or electricity, tho, one that size that will drain a coach battery dry overnight?

I like the layout, it is the same as mine...

Maggie
Old 08-13-2018, 07:51 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Shorty 19’

Hi guys... the latest is that my Interstate 19’ is Held up for unknown reasons before they will release it. I will know more tomorrow but is apparently because of parts. Stay tuned! In terms of the battery, someone asked about the refrigerator and I don’t know for sure. However, we are adding a lithium 525 amp hour battery that should do the trick either way. I do believe it is a propane refrigerator however.
drpeggau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
According to the spec sheet you sent me - that I posted above the refrigerator/freezer is 12VDC, not propane. Look forward to your opinions on this new Interstate.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #26
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
According to the spec sheet you sent me - that I posted above the refrigerator/freezer is 12VDC, not propane. Look forward to your opinions on this new Interstate.
I agree. I walked around the Shorty at the plant and I am sure I would have noticed vents if it was a propane burner. That's why I think that refrigerator would be perfect in a Gran Tour in place of the separate units.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Shorty Specs

Nobody seems to really know what the unit will have. That spec sheet was considered to be just advisory and a rough guesstimate and not completely official. There is even some question as to whether or not it has a 6 gallon hot water tank or if it has the on-demand hot water system. The parts manager thought it might have an “automatic” setting on a switch that you can set for either electric or propane for the refrigerator. The biggest idiotic thing I see in this whole camping/motorhome World is that the units have to be level 5 degrees or better for the refrigerator to work properly. It seems so 1950s! Nonetheless, I still have not heard anything and I am getting a little sad that we may not be able to get out with it for Labor Day. Time will tell and I will certainly let everyone know.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:25 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Just read this article in the RV Business newsletter that the new Interstate 19 along with two large Airstream trailers will use a new CZone digital control system.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2018/08/3-...tal-switching/

Edit: wanted to add that this might be the end of the FireFly system they now use in other Interstates.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #29
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Humm.... FireFly was short lived in the AI then, correct? It was just introduced for 2018s... if the Interstate 19 is using it, most likely we will see it in the new, larger Interstates as well...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
The latest update is that the production release is delayed because they are in need of wire harnessing and awnings! Kind of hard to believe but I know the pace of manufacturing and the increase in demand for class B and others is huge. Stay tuned! I will post a video at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2H...A-tQq-8Z7Y18Bq so you can just subscribe free and click for updates and you will be notified as soon as that happens. Don’t worry, I never post anything so this is not a trick to get subscribers but just in case you want to see it when I posted.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Edit: wanted to add that this might be the end of the FireFly system they now use in other Interstates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Humm.... FireFly was short lived in the AI then, correct? It was just introduced for 2018s... if the Interstate 19 is using it, most likely we will see it in the new, larger Interstates as well...
MIKE, WACHUKO - I would not go as far as putting the headstone yet on Firefly, only because they are introducing CZONE just on 3 models. BUT this is an ominous sign. This is the audition phase for CZONE. If CZONE works flawlessly from the get-go, unlike Firefly stumbling on the blocks with numerous A/C related issues not just on AI but the trailers too, then it is inevitable that they will bump Firefly completely off the entire line very soon. On paper, CZONE seems to be ahead of the tech curve than Firefly just with simple things like Smartphone app control from anywhere, Modes functions, 1-Button startup or shutdowns, just to name a few. It looks way more capable than Firefly, but translated = more complex & sophisticated.

If all works well with these 3 models, I think there's no turning back. It would be great news for those wanting more tech but not so great for those longing for brand new but with less complexity.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
New 19’ Interstate price and layout

Contacted Colonial Airstream about the availability of the new Interstate 19. This is the reply I got from Patrick.

=====================
“RE: Question on new Interstate 19

Mike,

Airstream is officially announcing the 19' Interstate at the Hershey RV show Sept 12th - 16th. We will have a Silver 4x4 on display there. I was only able to get one more 4x4 for the model year. We ordered 12 total Interstate 19' models but there is a shortage on Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis in North America so we are not certain the orders will be fulfilled.

Patrick Botticelli
Colonial Airstream & RV
1121 Route 88 - Lakewood, NJ 08701
www.colonialairstream.com 1-800-265-9019 .... “
===================

Appears that rumors of Sprinter shortages in NA are true. Not surprised since they are coming from new plant in South Carolina.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #33
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Appears that rumors of Sprinter shortages in NA are true. Not surprised since they are coming from new plant in South Carolina.
MIKE - I guess good news, bad news. Good that AI Shorty is a go, Good that 4x4 is a go, Bad that they can not keep up with demand, Bad for having customers wait as they may go with other inferior choices, and usually Bad for quality because the factory (MB & AI) can not have the consistency to manufacture to stable standards. Can't wait to see the 4x4 though. I think that would be perfect for my daughter & at least 2 of my cycling friends. It looks like this is gonna be a hot model.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:27 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
My couple of pennies regarding the shortage… Mercedes did not want to import any more chassis because of the factory nearing construction completion. I also understand, from the early 2018 conference that Mercedes held, that they will have different models in Europe that are nine speed but not available here. I know that I did receive one of the last 4 x 4 chassis in North America on my order. That being said, I could have also gotten one from Roadtrek but I believe it was their last one as well. From my perspective, the delay still holds. Had a good conversation with my local dealer, A five rivet dealer, and they are truly fantastic! He could not learn anymore about the reason for the “hold“ on our build. We all believe that it is nearly completed but it is possible that they do not have a enough of the smaller awnings to release the vehicles that sit there. Quite a bummer for us because we wanted to leave town early before Labor Day and do some Boondocking. Even scheduled days off in advance that cannot be changed.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Cant wait for 4x4 Shorty. Using F150 for now

Can't wait for 4x4 Shorty. Using F150 for gravel grinder biking for now. Both seem pretty close in length and lift, though AI is taller. F150 a beast of a 4x4 but wife says just not as nice as AI Shorty 4x4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180826_155415.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	480.6 KB
ID:	320912  
Old 08-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Can't wait for 4x4 Shorty. Using F150 for gravel grinder biking for now. Both seem pretty close in length and lift, though AI is taller. F150 a beast of a 4x4 but wife says just not as nice as AI Shorty 4x4

Nice truck, but are you thinking of trading it for a Shorty 4x4? I already hate you for having such a nice AI and truck. Don't make me hate you more with two Airstream class b's.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
New 19’ Interstate price and layout

Just saw this in the RV Industry news.

August 31, 2018
Airstream Inc. announced the debut of its newest touring coach, the 19-foot Interstate Nineteen Class B built on Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis.

According to a press release, the Interstate Nineteen offers car-like performance and safety along with a full complement of upscale features in a smaller package than its larger Atlas and Interstate EXT.

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2018/08/ai...te-nineteen-b/
Old 08-31-2018, 07:06 PM   #38
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Nice truck, but are you thinking of trading it for a Shorty 4x4?
ROWIEBOWIE - My devious plan - I convinced my daughter and at least 1 of my best friends that a Shorty fits their needs. They both use my truck off roading, so when they get their Shorty, I have 2 to borrow from.
Quote:
Just saw this in the RV Industry news.
MIKE - they keep announcing but have not delivered even a display model to dealers, for prospective buyers to check them out and order. It's taking them a long time to show up after announcements. Yippeee, everyones fav equipment still there - powershades!
Old 09-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Got this link to the new '19 from Airstream in my email this morning.

https://www.airstream.com/touring-co...een/floorplan/

;
Old 09-01-2018, 09:05 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I was curious of the Shorty's bed length (which I've always assumed was 72" like the Agile and Ascent). I can find no dimensions in Airstream's information, but finally found this pic of the bed. What in the world were they thinking?????????

Looks to me like they ruined the passenger side for anyone over 5' tall by leaving a big intrusion under the galley. I have no idea why they thought that was acceptable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Shorty bed.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	321265