Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #301
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Inverter

It turns out that the freedom 3000 W inverter model 3012 is known to have this problem when dealing with the Onan generator. The fix is to change the wiring so that the air-conditioner is upstream electrically from the inverter. Then it can run on shore power and can run on generator only and not the battery. That is fine with me. It requires a two breaker circuit box for $15 and about two hours labor.
drpeggau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #302
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeggau View Post
It turns out that the freedom 3000 W inverter model 3012 is known to have this problem when dealing with the Onan generator. The fix is to change the wiring so that the air-conditioner is upstream electrically from the inverter. Then it can run on shore power and can run on generator only and not the battery. That is fine with me. It requires a two breaker circuit box for $15 and about two hours labor.
DRPEGGAU - Happy for you that the problem is resolved. Though I am still confused how the inverter can kill your gen?

However, this update bothers me so much that I just have to vent.

<start rant> This information that the A/C has been wired to run off of the batts is IMHO a critical piece of info that you failed to provide, even after probing from a few of us who responded. For anyone who has a highly customized configuration that is vastly different than the OEM config, it is just incumbent upon you to present all that information at the onset. It is tough enough helping those with OEM configs, I dont think this is an unreasonable ask of all of us to follow. More information is better than bare minimum. It is just unfair to have other well meaning members who are spending lots of their time to try and help be wracking their brains on incomplete data. <end rant>
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:57 PM   #303
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
​2020 Atlas​
Phoenix , Arizona
My thoughts on the 2019 Airstream Interstate 19....shorty.
https://happycampersairstream19.video.blog/
What They Don’t Tell You When You Buy An Airstream Motorhome

July 11, 2019

We had never owned a motorhome before. Last year we paid thousands of dollars for travel, hotel rooms and as much to board our 19 year old cat and our 7 year old Australian Shepherd.

We decided we would spend less in 2019 on airfare and lodging by taking the entire family along and sticking to road trips. We had pondered Class A and Class C motorhomes and thought about pulling a trailer but we wanted to be mobile. We loved the 24 foot Airstream Interstate as it had better gas mileage than other motorhomes and it was easy to drive as a car or truck. Last year when Airstream came up with a shorter version of the Interstate, the 19 foot ‘shorty’ ....we were hooked. The Interstate 19 can wander through tight city streets and can be parked in regular sized parking spots. We loved the Airstream luxury name and finishes.

The Interstate is built on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis and the short chassis was in demand as Amazon had bought 20,000 in 2018 for their new delivery fleet. It was difficult to find an Airstream dealer with a short model. Many dealers charged the MSRP Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.

In late 2018, a dealer in Ohio had a 4X4 model at a great price, so we flew to pick it up in December.

Despite quality checks by Airstream and then by the dealer, problems were missed. When doing our walkthrough, the rear bench wouldn’t fold down flat (1) needing adjustment.

On our first night camping the step wouldn’t retract (2) when the sliding door was closed. We had to drive to the Airstream factory in Jackson Center, OH to have the step replaced. On our way home, the Fusion Entertainment center failed (3) so we were didn’t have navigation guidance or a radio for the 800 mile drive home. We sang a lot.

We noticed cold air seeping in when we were sleeping as the rear doors did not close tightly (4). Our local Mercedes dealer adjusted the doors for a better seal and told us that when the doors are removed by Airstream during the build, sometimes they are not hung back properly.

Four months later during de-winterization, our Airstream service center discovered that the black tank sensor was not working (6) requiring a replacement just in time for us to start our 5 week, 8,200 mile trip across the country to Canada and back. The seal on the sliding door was coming apart which required glue (7).

During that trip when the powered side ottoman was advanced for the bed, screws kept falling out (8). After the trip, Airstream service discovered that the screws were coming off the bench - these were screwed back. During our last week of our cross country trip, when washing dishes we noticed the floor was wet but so was the inside of the cabinet under the kitchen sink. The sink drain had fallen apart (9) soaking the contents of the cupboard and the wiring.

Airstream proudly advertises their Coachnet Premier Roadside Assistance and Technical Hotline. New owners get this service for 3 years. We called Coachnet while on the road when the sink pipe broke. Coachnet couldn’t help us until we got home as all the Airstream service centers on our way home were fully booked. I kept hearing how busy Summer is and that no service center kept open emergency slots for drop ins. We called our local service center, Colonial Airstream and we couldn’t get an appointment for over 16 days. We brought our Interstate in to Colonial a week earlier than the appointment day so the proper sink parts could be ordered. During that inspection the loose screws in the ottoman were fixed and they discovered several leaks in the ceiling (10) due to poor chalk in the region of the roof fan and solar panels.

With ten problems with this new unit, we wondered if despite the advertised custom luxury build, that Airstream may have rushed production of our unit. Screws weren’t tightened, the unit leaks despite their renowned leak testing, sensors failed, sink broke, and so on.

A week later on June 10, we brought our RV back for its scheduled appointment. The sink parts had not arrived. Colonial asked us to call Airstream directly to expedite the part delivery. On June 15, the parts still hadn’t arrived. We were told again that Summer is a busy time, that Airstream is building many new units, and that parts and delivery are slow. For such an expensive luxury product, why doesn’t Airstream focus as much on serving present customers as it does on future production. A busy surgeon does not tell a post-operative patient suffering a complication to wait as the surgeon is too busy working on new patients.

The sink was replaced and the leak stopped. During that service appointment, it was discovered that the wood interior on the left rear was soaked (11) due to another yet undetermined leak...we were advised to keep an eye on this area.

Two weeks later while camping in the Boston area and plugged into 30 amp shore power, the nights were cool enough to we only needed an open window and the fantastic fan to sleep.

Every night we were woken as the CZone lit up indicating that the house battery was low (12).

A call to Coachnet didn’t help. The tech wanted to be sure we were running a hair dryer while we were sleeping or draining the house battery in some mysterious way. We told the tech we were plugged into 30 amp shore power - he couldn’t understand why the house battery wasn’t being charged. During the 7 hour drive home, a low house battery warning continued to illuminate.

The Interstate 19 is back at Colonial today as they try to fix the problems.

For those thinking about spending extra money for the Airstream name, that name does not make the RV immune to problems. Nor does it get you any faster service. We have owned Lexus vehicles for decades but Lexus has never told us to wait for parts - they are shipped to the service within 24 hours. For a luxury brand like Airstream, this should be no different.

If your Airstream Interstate breaks down while you are on your trip, you are likely to spend the remainder of your time waiting for repairs even if it is a new unit under warranty.

Have any of you owners of the new Airstream Interstate 19 had as many of the twelve problems we have suffered? Let me know. Maybe Airstream should know
Robkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #304
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
DRPEGGAU - Happy for you that the problem is resolved. Though I am still confused how the inverter can kill your gen?

However, this update bothers me so much that I just have to vent.

<start rant> This information that the A/C has been wired to run off of the batts is IMHO a critical piece of info that you failed to provide, even after probing from a few of us who responded. For anyone who has a highly customized configuration that is vastly different than the OEM config, it is just incumbent upon you to present all that information at the onset. It is tough enough helping those with OEM configs, I dont think this is an unreasonable ask of all of us to follow. More information is better than bare minimum. It is just unfair to have other well meaning members who are spending lots of their time to try and help be wracking their brains on incomplete data. <end rant>

Sorry you’re so upset but I wasn’t withholding anything that I thought you needed. Everything can run off the generator, battery, or shore power. I figured that’s how it always is. Not at all an unreasonable person.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:26 PM   #305
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
​2020 Atlas​
Phoenix , Arizona
An update to my 1/2 year old Airstream Interstate 19 2019 model.....it has been in Colonial Airstream for repairs since July 10, 2019. The Fantastic Fan vent rain sensor is defective so the vent doesn’t close when it rains. They are still working on the electrical system.
Anyone out there with a shorty with this many many problems? Please let me know.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:17 AM   #306
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Your problems are exactly the reason that I don't buy the first model-year of a car model that has just undergone a major redesign. For the Interstate theexpected issues are multiplied by 10 due to the many systems in the AI and multiplied by another 10 because of the apparent lack of testing and QC done by Airstream compared to the typical automaker.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #307
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Rain sensor

Everyone has this problem. 1000 units have this problem! I brought it to their attention six months ago and they were a little unhappy because they found out all of the units that have the Czone are like this. They believe they have a fix for it and I am dropping mine off this week for the seventh time. Jim Parrot and everybody apparently has been looking at it.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #308
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Great Falls , Virginia
Yup similar issues

I agree about not buying first generation. But our timing was such that we didn’t have a choice, if we wanted the ai nineteen, which we fell in love with.

We are full-timing for a bit. So getting fixed as we go has been a bit of a challenge. But we have found dealers who can keep for a day or two and do as much as they can.

We are currently scheduling at airstream in Ohio to just knock the rest of the **** out.

While our list had been long... we absolutely love our little shorty... which my husband prefers over “stubby.”

We realized the rain sensor vent problem during a middle of the night rain storm last week. So have added to the list.

Loose Stitching issues on bench, already had it fixed once. We keep it covered 100% of the time. So not sure what the issue is.

Screen on slider is a mess. Doesn’t close properly from inside. But worse, there is a large gap between the two screens. Definitely design flaw.

Our coach batteries don’t last much. Had them replaced and checked twice now... to see if something is draining that we can’t see. Nothing has been found. (No, not fusion)

Propane sensor is defective

Fusion is a piece of crap. Already replaced once because of blue tooth issues. The new one doesn’t turn off of Sirius is picked and won’t read my phone selections down to final choice. And the nav. Oh boy. My husband is ready to lose his mind. And I’m ready because of the cost of diesel and the many additional miles it has made us drive. And it’s not just that it assumes big rig.

We have had small electrical issues as well.

The airconditioning- we have only had to use it continuously once... it shut down repeatedly during the night. Probably operating as designed. But our thermometer had is mid-90’s during shut off period.

The cabinetry arrived chipped. Nothing they can do about that.

The bathroom caulk is sticky, so all dirt clings. I was told they couldn’t replace or it would void warrantee.

Funny, in this moment. I can’t remember everything, but we have already had 3 airstream service stops.

I would say that while we absolutely love it, the quality control is very lacking.
JoanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #309
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
It's sad to hear about all the problems with the new 19's. Might be ok to have problems on a used Airstream "b" like the one I bought. Not fun, but a learning experience and the satisfaction of doing my own repairs (with the help of this forum) since it was out of warranty.

But if I'd paid 2X the amount for a new one and needed so many (sometimes repeated) trips to the dealer for warranty repairs, I wouldn't be as forgiving as many of you are.

I will also add that quality on Airstream motorhomes appears to have slipped significantly in the past 6-7 years if my Avenue is any example. The cabinetry work was impeccable. No chips, misfitting cabinets or doors, no stripped screws anywhere. Less technology, sure, but it works and only real thing the older models lacked was a couple of central command touchpads.

Airstream is getting premium prices for their products and, high demand or not, are not producing the quality they are being paid for. How much could it cost to add a few quality inspectors? For the reduction in back-end warranty repairs, it would be money well spent.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #310
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
How much could it cost to add a few quality inspectors? For the reduction in back-end warranty repairs, it would be money well spent.
ROWIEBOWIE - I am the quality inspector of my AI. To date, I have fixed 90% of major/minor problems and I had rectified/performed 100% of all quality improvements. AS pays me $0 for my services. They consider that (no)money well spent
Old 08-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #311
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
ROWIEBOWIE - I am the quality inspector of my AI. To date, I have fixed 90% of major/minor problems and I had rectified/performed 100% of all quality improvements. AS pays me $0 for my services. They consider that (no)money well spent
I can't understand why you're not willing to wait months for an appointment, take a week out of your life, and drive 3000 miles round trip to the mother ship for warranty repairs.

And as others pointed out, even then you may get a replacement with the same less than satisfactory part that failed once already. The other alternative is a waiting weeks for a local dealer to repair, but many do not have a local dealer they trust.

Probably more satisfying your way and ultimately cheaper in some cases. Still no excuse for the quality issues we're hearing.

P.s - I can take apart an Airstream just as good as you can. It's putting it back together where I run into problems.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #312
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I can't understand why you're not willing to wait months for an appointment, take a week out of your life, and drive 3000 miles round trip to the mother ship for warranty repairs.
ROWIEBOWIE -
My next rv will be built by upfitters either in NV, CA, UT or AZ, all within a 5 hr drive radius
Old 08-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #313
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
But what would we all do with ourselves between trips if we didn't have things to repair or improve upon?!?!
Old 08-04-2019, 08:22 PM   #314
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And how would I manage to keep the Overkill Engineering department busy???
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:36 AM   #315
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
It's sad to hear about all the problems with the new 19's. Might be ok to have problems on a used Airstream "b" like the one I bought. Not fun, but a learning experience and the satisfaction of doing my own repairs (with the help of this forum) since it was out of warranty.

But if I'd paid 2X the amount for a new one and needed so many (sometimes repeated) trips to the dealer for warranty repairs, I wouldn't be as forgiving as many of you are.

I will also add that quality on Airstream motorhomes appears to have slipped significantly in the past 6-7 years if my Avenue is any example. The cabinetry work was impeccable. No chips, misfitting cabinets or doors, no stripped screws anywhere. Less technology, sure, but it works and only real thing the older models lacked was a couple of central command touchpads.

Airstream is getting premium prices for their products and, high demand or not, are not producing the quality they are being paid for. How much could it cost to add a few quality inspectors? For the reduction in back-end warranty repairs, it would be money well spent.

I agree. AS is cutting its own throat. We will go elsewhere at this rate for our next build. They don’t care.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:55 AM   #316
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
drpeggau:
What do you have in mind for the 'elsewhere' that you would go to? We looked at several brands before purchasing our AI, and Airstream had the best fit and finish - which does not necessarily translate into overall quality but it was all I had to go by. Advanced RV is the only one that I am aware of that is probably higher-quality. It has a much higher price. It is custom built and even after 5 years of Class B ownership I am not sure that I know what I'd want Advanced RV to build for me.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #317
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
drpeggau:
What do you have in mind for the 'elsewhere' that you would go to? We looked at several brands before purchasing our AI, and Airstream had the best fit and finish - which does not necessarily translate into overall quality but it was all I had to go by. Advanced RV is the only one that I am aware of that is probably higher-quality. It has a much higher price. It is custom built and even after 5 years of Class B ownership I am not sure that I know what I'd want Advanced RV to build for me.
The humble Road is another place. I would probably use the place in Indiana near me because it is convenient. If I bought something off the line then I would probably look at pleasure way. The problem now is that it is impossible to get a 4 x 4 chassis. This is a requirement for us. Airstream has huge gaps in the screen that I tried to fix with additional weatherstripping, fairly successfully. There are many spaces where there is no insulation whatsoever. I would also want to have a Fourseason van with all the pipes and lines internal so that they won’t freeze while I am using the vehicle on a trip. I have learned a tremendous amount in the past 10 months just about the simple things. My problem is that I lack patience and did not want to wait so long for a vehicle. When I found out there was a four by four available I jumped at it. I would’ve picked a Revel but it is a bit too primitive for my wife and the bed is too small. I originally thought that I only wanted one fuel source, that from the diesel and the batteries. However, I am very happy to have propane because it has come in handy many times. The heating system just sips the propane and it seems to last forever!
Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #318
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
​2020 Atlas​
Phoenix , Arizona
Airstream Interstate 19 2019 Problems

Sad to hear that your problems are as bad as ours. Our Shorty has been in the repair shop for 35 days now! The service people can’t resolve the faulty CZone.
My response....if it cannot be repaired, it should be replaced.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #319
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robkhoo View Post
My thoughts on the 2019 Airstream Interstate 19....shorty.
https://happycampersairstream19.video.blog/
What They Don’t Tell You When You Buy An Airstream Motorhome

Nicely rendered. Shades of ClassBWarned, which is an analogous blog effort by a Roadtrek owner who has had nothing but problems.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #320

2016 19' International
La Mesa , California
Great info on this thread about the Nineteen. Is the Nineteen 4x4 single rear wheel since it's built on the Sprinter 2500 platform? And do the 24 foot Interstate 4x4's have dual rear wheels? Like to avoid dual rear wheels since we'd want to do a super single conversion. Dual rear wheel struggles in sandy places like Anza Borrego and rocks like to get stuck between them tearing the tires apart.

Surprised to see some many quality issues with the Nineteen. Are the 24 foot interstates more ironed out or do they have similar issues. Hate to get a RV that took so much work and trips to the dealer to get sorted out. If it's that bad we'd consider Sportmobile.
dylanmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote