Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
There are two wires attached to the ground, the black wire which is the batteries wire is 2/0 and the white wire 8 awg which is the body harness wires. The black 1/0 that you mentioned is the negative connections that's attached to the Magnum inverter. I'm assuming that connection wouldn't be connected to the 12v distribution negative bus bar. With that being said, I can only assume that maybe the white 8 awg is connected to the 12v distribution neg buss bar, maybe. Let me go take a pic of what I have setup so far. Waiting for the 3/8" black cable to come in today, I order the wrong size 5/16" but I can use it for testing at the moment.

The below image illistrates the white wire and what I’m working with.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3587.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	288.3 KB
ID:	374367

The below is temporary and used for testing until the other wires comes in today.

Name:	IMG_3605.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	374368
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:41 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
The below image illistrates the white wire and what I’m working with.
Attachment 374367

The below is temporary and used for testing until the other wires comes in today.
Attachment 374368
It appears that the "white"wire was perhaps something that someone added. The tell tale sign is the homemade crimping job. I'm not sure what it is for. You would have to trace it back. In DC circuits black is typically negative and red is positive. In AC it is black is hot and white is neutral. Ground is always green or bare copper. Now you do get some companies that use brown and blue in DC circuits, but that is mostly for electrical cabinet wiring. At work we will even have the wire custom painted to match certain specs. The white wire could also be a sense line to a controller, but without tracing it back it I cannot tell for sure. The white wire was connected to the ground lug so I would leave it there. All you want to do is connect a short piece of new wire (1/0) from the ground lug to the shunt and then move the 1/0 wire that was connected to the ground lug and goes to the negative of the battery to the other side of the shunt. The 2/0 wire that is connected to the negatives of the batteries you can leave as they only join the negative bus of the batteries together and are crucial to joining the 2 batteries together.

To tell if you have the shunt wired correctly you can leave the negative wire from the battery to the shunt disconnected and you shouldn't have anything in the unit be able to turn on other than what is coming from the engine battery. But you can disconnect the engine battery negative as well and then absolutely nothing should work.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Need some install advice on the Victron BMV-712

My setup below. The white wire was done at the factory and as previously stated it’s connected to the harnesses. I’ve done testing and getting readings and results. The SOC is incorrect because at the time, synchronized the SOC. I hadn't I guess I could remove the white wire and see what readings I get but at this point not sure it’s necessary.

Second thought, I will put the white wire back on the ground welded bolt and see what happens. It's there for a reason so....

Name:	IMG_3610.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	374460
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3606.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	374459  
Old 07-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Kansas City , Missouri
Made the change

Name:	IMG_3474.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	291.1 KB
ID:	374461

Reading with all my lights on and vent running on high.

Name:	IMG_3619.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	374462

Thanks all for the help, greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2022 20' Caravel
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Noblesville , Indiana
Ground Bus Location

On the 2019 Interstate, the DC Ground, from the negative post on the batteries, routes up and under the cup holder and bonds to the chassis ground via a stud. The DC system is using the chassis as its return for power. As such, the 712 shunt will be mounted under the cup holder on the passengers side.
vanderwielen is offline   Reply With Quote