Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
jhayesas's Avatar
 
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 94
Preparing for Victron SmartShunt install

Based on my diagram below, would I put the shunt pre or post the welded ground bolt? I'm assuming they grounded it for a reason and would like to keep it that way if possible. The only other question I have is where would I get the positive power connection in order to activate the shunt?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PreShuntInstalCableRunl.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	373859  
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
PB_NB's Avatar
 
2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 800
Images: 9
Blog Entries: 1
The B1 and B2 connectors on the shunt supply power to it. In my case I got the Temp Sensor which powers my 712 and is installed on the Pos Battery Post. Then the 2 wires coming off the Pos (temp sensor wires) go to these 2 shunt connectors.

In your photo, you show the temp sensor on a Neg terminal. Is that a Victron temp sensor? The way the shunt will track all in and out power changes. You need to make sure that there is nothing between the (BATT) connection on the shunt and the Neg Battery post on the battery. Then hook up the other end of the shunt to the Neg load or busbar or where your negative connections come together.

I know you need to follow Victron's instructions for dual batteries. I don't have my instructions anymore. The batteries need to be isolated behind the shunt on the negative side. I hope this makes sense.
__________________
--------------------
Peter.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:34 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
 
jhayesas's Avatar
 
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
The B1 and B2 connectors on the shunt supply power to it. In my case I got the Temp Sensor which powers my 712 and is installed on the Pos Battery Post. Then the 2 wires coming off the Pos (temp sensor wires) go to these 2 shunt connectors.

In your photo, you show the temp sensor on a Neg terminal. Is that a Victron temp sensor? The way the shunt will track all in and out power changes. You need to make sure that there is nothing between the (BATT) connection on the shunt and the Neg Battery post on the battery. Then hook up the other end of the shunt to the Neg load or busbar or where your negative connections come together.

I know you need to follow Victron's instructions for dual batteries. I don't have my instructions anymore. The batteries need to be isolated behind the shunt on the negative side. I hope this makes sense.

If there is actually a temp sensor, it's whatever Airstream installed, so I don't have that information. I can look at the inverter and see if there is actually a cable as indicated in the electrical schematics. So nothing between the battery and the shunt would mean that i would place the shunt prior to the ground using CBL11. The batteries are in parallel so a single run (CBL11) should be connected to the shunt based on your response.
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,138
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
Based on my diagram below, would I put the shunt pre or post the welded ground bolt? I'm assuming they grounded it for a reason and would like to keep it that way if possible. The only other question I have is where would I get the positive power connection in order to activate the shunt?
I don't see the negative buss bar,(where all the ground wires in the system meet)?

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
Obrigado, ť hora de descansar.

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
PB_NB's Avatar
 
2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 800
Images: 9
Blog Entries: 1
CBL11 scenario sounds correct. That way all electrical movement goes through the shunt and is then measured. If you add anything else on the Neg battery side of the shunt like a solar panel lead of inverter lead, it wont get measured by the shunt.

If a temp sensor is to be used on the 712, you might want to get a Victron sensor for ease of use. I think it added ~14 bucks to the cost of the kit when I ordered it off Amazon. Or you may be able to use the one shown in your drawing if it can be moved to the Pos terminal.
__________________
--------------------
Peter.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:54 PM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 17,138
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
Based on my diagram below, would I put the shunt pre or post the welded ground bolt? I'm assuming they grounded it for a reason and would like to keep it that way if possible. The only other question I have is where would I get the positive power connection in order to activate the shunt?
I don't see a negative buss bar (system ground) in the diagram.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56BA3D0A-8560-4716-91EE-E75A8B16039F.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	373863  
__________________
Obrigado, ť hora de descansar.

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:57 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
PB_NB's Avatar
 
2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 800
Images: 9
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I don't see the negative buss bar,(where all the ground wires in the system meet)?

Bob
🇺🇸
I don't see it in the drawing either but I suspect that there are a number of individual grounds to the chassis or a busbar that is not shown in the drawing.

That big bolt/nut would be part of the ground circuit connection to the chassis.

So long as the shunt is isolated on the negative side of the battery it should work.
__________________
--------------------
Peter.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
PB_NB's Avatar
 
2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 800
Images: 9
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I don't see a negative buss bar (system grid) in the diagram.

Bob
🇺🇸
Victron doesn't show a bus bar in that image, just the negative lead heading north on the diagram. However, if you have the image of the temp sensor connection (I think it is just below that image on the same page), that would be handy for jhayesas.

I think the key is to get the most out of the 712, one needs to install it with just the battery cable between the Neg post and the BATT side of the shunt and put ALL other negative DC voltage connections on the other side of the shunt.
__________________
--------------------
Peter.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:25 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
 
jhayesas's Avatar
 
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_NB View Post
CBL11 scenario sounds correct. That way all electrical movement goes through the shunt and is then measured. If you add anything else on the Neg battery side of the shunt like a solar panel lead of inverter lead, it wont get measured by the shunt.

If a temp sensor is to be used on the 712, you might want to get a Victron sensor for ease of use. I think it added ~14 bucks to the cost of the kit when I ordered it off Amazon. Or you may be able to use the one shown in your drawing if it can be moved to the Pos terminal.

I purchased the SmartShunt and based on the literature, it doesn't come with a temp sensor but has the option to be added. I looked under the van tonight and saw the Magnum temp sensor and traced it back to the Magnum inverter. I'll do a test with and without the temp sensor in order to see the difference in the readings.


Does anyone see a problem with this setup, Negative battery wire to Battery Minus : Load Minus to Ground to Inverter negative?
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
jeffmc306's Avatar
 
2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,216
Blog Entries: 4
As others have stated, ALL negative loads should be terminated on a busbar and a single cable going to the Load side of the shunt. The other side of the shunt goes to the Battery negative.

Hereís how it looks on my Globetrotter installation. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7D7081DD-2814-49D9-BCEA-65F444736FC3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	373868   Click image for larger version

Name:	FD92BBD0-6591-490D-9D0B-7F680444E409.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	373869  

__________________
2019 27í Globetrotter FBT Walnut/Dublin Slate
2018 FC23FB
2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi Laramie Blue Ox 1000#
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:00 PM   #31
Rivet Master
 
PB_NB's Avatar
 
2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 800
Images: 9
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
I purchased the SmartShunt and based on the literature, it doesn't come with a temp sensor but has the option to be added. I looked under the van tonight and saw the Magnum temp sensor and traced it back to the Magnum inverter. I'll do a test with and without the temp sensor in order to see the difference in the readings.


Does anyone see a problem with this setup, Negative battery wire to Battery Minus : Load Minus to Ground to Inverter negative?
I think the concept is the same for the SmartShunt and the 712.

I think this is what you are looking at: Inverter to the LOAD side of the Shunt and to the Positive Battery post or as close to it as possible with 2 or 0 ga wire and a HD fuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 7.54.49 PM.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	373867  
__________________
--------------------
Peter.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
 
jhayesas's Avatar
 
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 94
All lastnight and today, I just can't seem to locate the negative bus bar on the schematics, driving me nuts. The only thing I know for sure is that CBL11 comes off the negative terminal of the batteries and into the ground welded bolt. Now I understand GoingPhishin's frustration.

The white wire in the schematics is the ground for the body harness. When I follow the WHT(150), it goes throughout the coach connecting to other harnesses. I'm wondering if this is the "buss bar" in this rig's design.
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
PB_NB's Avatar
 
2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 800
Images: 9
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
All lastnight and today, I just can't seem to locate the negative bus bar on the schematics, driving me nuts. The only thing I know for sure is that CBL11 comes off the negative terminal of the batteries and into the ground welded bolt. Now I understand GoingPhishin's frustration.

The white wire in the schematics is the ground for the body harness. When I follow the WHT(150), it goes throughout the coach connecting to other harnesses. I'm wondering if this is the "buss bar" in this rig's design.
This could be the difference between the coach wiring and trailer wiring. If the chassis is ground then effectively you have a great big bus bar!

So plan to use that bolt and run a lead to the LOAD side of the shunt. That temp sensor should be removed so that the connection is clean of any other wires between the neg post and the batt side of the shunt.
__________________
--------------------
Peter.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:08 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member
 
GoingPhishin's Avatar
 
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Castle Rock , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
All lastnight and today, I just can't seem to locate the negative bus bar on the schematics, driving me nuts. The only thing I know for sure is that CBL11 comes off the negative terminal of the batteries and into the ground welded bolt. Now I understand GoingPhishin's frustration.

The white wire in the schematics is the ground for the body harness. When I follow the WHT(150), it goes throughout the coach connecting to other harnesses. I'm wondering if this is the "buss bar" in this rig's design.

jhayesas, I have not forgotten the picture. I have just been away from my van. I'll try to get to it this week. Sorry for the delay. I believe, however, that the photo in my second post shows the set-up correctly.



In terms of the negative buss bar, it is on your schematic. It is where you marked "shunt" on the schematic over the welded bolt. The welded single bolt is the negative buss bar on the Interstate. Based on your shcematic, CBL-11, and only CBL-11, should come off the negative buss bar and go to the shunt. Then you need a short cable from the shunt to the negative buss bar to close the loop.
GoingPhishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #35
Rivet Master
 
gator.bigfoot's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 765
See this article.

https://marinehowto.com/installing-a-battery-monitor/
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member
 
jhayesas's Avatar
 
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post

I reviewed that link, thanks for sharing. I got my SmartShunt and cable today and will be completely installing it tomorrow. I did get the positive wire connected and test the shunt to confirm it works.



Tomorrow I'll be hooking it all up and hopefully get the readings I'm looking for. Still not sure about the negative ground for the battery and the white wire and because I still don't know what the white wire is for but I'm hoping it's connected to the 12V distribution negative bus bar. Still haven't heard from Airstream so I guess I'll find out soon enough.
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #37
Rivet Master
 
gator.bigfoot's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhayesas View Post
I reviewed that link, thanks for sharing. I got my SmartShunt and cable today and will be completely installing it tomorrow. I did get the positive wire connected and test the shunt to confirm it works.



Tomorrow I'll be hooking it all up and hopefully get the readings I'm looking for. Still not sure about the negative ground for the battery and the white wire and because I still don't know what the white wire is for but I'm hoping it's connected to the 12V distribution negative bus bar. Still haven't heard from Airstream so I guess I'll find out soon enough.
I am not seeing a "white wire" in your diagram. Could you point it out. You are correct in where you want to put the shunt. You want the shunt between the negative battery terminal and the ground lug. I noticed there was another connection to the negative of the battery, but that appears to be a temperature sensor (Labelled "Temp"). Please make sure that is all it is. Then your location for the shunt will work.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member
 
jhayesas's Avatar
 
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
I am not seeing a "white wire" in your diagram. Could you point it out. You are correct in where you want to put the shunt. You want the shunt between the negative battery terminal and the ground lug. I noticed there was another connection to the negative of the battery, but that appears to be a temperature sensor (Labelled "Temp"). Please make sure that is all it is. Then your location for the shunt will work.

See below which is the same image that I previously displayed above. In this image, I added another arrow with a caption. When I look at the schematics, the body harness is attached throughout the rig to different harnesses, like it pig tailed off to harnesses if that makes sense. Yes, the Temp is the temperature sensor for the Magnum Inverter remote control display.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PreShuntInstalCableRunl.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	374354
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #39
Rivet Master
 
gator.bigfoot's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 765
I don't think the harness color matters. The wire inside is labeled as a black wire on your drawing. Looks like a #1/0 gauge wire according to the drawing. That's the wire that is currently ground. And it is attached to the ground lug. This is all that matters.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member
 
jhayesas's Avatar
 
Kansas City , Missouri
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator.bigfoot View Post
I don't think the harness color matters. The wire inside is labeled as a black wire on your drawing. Looks like a #1/0 gauge wire according to the drawing. That's the wire that is currently ground. And it is attached to the ground lug. This is all that matters.

There are two wires attached to the ground, the black wire which is the batteries wire is 2/0 and the white wire 8 awg which is the body harness wires. The black 1/0 that you mentioned is the negative connections that's attached to the Magnum inverter. I'm assuming that connection wouldn't be connected to the 12v distribution negative bus bar. With that being said, I can only assume that maybe the white 8 awg is connected to the 12v distribution neg buss bar, maybe. Let me go take a pic of what I have setup so far. Waiting for the 3/8" black cable to come in today, I order the wrong size 5/16" but I can use it for testing at the moment.
jhayesas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Victron BMV-712 Battery Monitor Shunt Install location 5150mike Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 35 06-25-2020 05:50 AM
Victron BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor Install&Review lzhome Generators & Solar Power 0 10-03-2019 05:05 AM
Victron BMV-712 Install Question Rounder44 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 25 11-23-2018 05:53 PM
Question regarding Victron BMV-712 billrector Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 26 05-30-2018 03:21 PM
Victron BMV-712 install in 2017 30 International dmcgaugh Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 3 03-09-2018 12:24 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.