Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Charleston , South Carolina
Need Heat AC Advice

Tailgated in Columbia SC in our 2017 Interstate. It was a great experience! It was hotter than heck outside. Got in our RV to drive home and it really never cooled down - despite running the AC and the Fantastic Fan. I tried every possible scenario windows cracked, fan running. I had both ACs going.

The AC was blowing cold air but it never really made it back to rear sitting area.

Any advice or ideas on how to cool down would be very much appreciated!
Charleston40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Need Heat AC Advice

We live in Texas and it is always hot. What I do is only have fan and windows open when everything else is off. When I run the generator/power to run back ac I close all the windows/fan and it brings down the temps. I then start the AI and run front air on circulate. I also keep all the shades down. Most of the time I can then turn off the back ac.

When we stop somewhere for lunch I keep it all closed up but run the generator and ac.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston40 View Post
Tailgated in Columbia SC in our 2017 Interstate. It was a great experience! It was hotter than heck outside. Got in our RV to drive home and it really never cooled down - despite running the AC and the Fantastic Fan. I tried every possible scenario windows cracked, fan running. I had both ACs going.

The AC was blowing cold air but it never really made it back to rear sitting area.

I was all set to recommend you run the roof a/c on generator, until I saw you did. Now is a very hot time of year, especially in a parking lot with no shade.

My best guess is too many bodies going in and out? Plus, I don't think windows cracked or running Fantastic Fan were ultimately detrimental.

Did you have any reflective window coverings in place, especially the front cab? This is a huge source of heat.

There is a lengthy thread on the subject of trying to keep cool in your Insterstate at:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...in-164449.html

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
If it is that hot outside, having windows or vents open is defeating your cooling purpose. One other suggestion might be to get on site a early as possible to get a head start on cooling down your Airstream. Any direct sun coming in the windows? That radiant heating has an effect. A lot of in-and-out of the trailer doesn’t help.
I am not that familiar with the details of an Interstate.... what is the roof like? Does it have a white, reflective covering already? If not, I would consider making it that way. Surely it can be coated in an inconspicuous manner? It can make an great difference.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I live in the southwest where the air is usually dry. On our recent venture east in the height of the summer heat, I found the interior was unbearable at times but things improved if I blocked out as much of the humidity as possible by running the AC with all windows and vents closed and driving with the cab AC on recirculate.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
If it is that hot outside, having windows or vents open is defeating your cooling purpose.

Agree, I mis-edited my post and meant to say openings are detrimental.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston40 View Post

CHARLESTON40 - tint front windows & winshield, all window shades down (day & night shades), always cover front windows & windshield when parked. We live in Las Vegas and our 100° F days started in June. The hottest was around 110-115 for many weeks. It is only now that we are finally down to low 100's. So for 3 months every year, it is always above 100°F. The only way AI can deal with that kind of temp is to not let the interior get that hot (or hotter if left closed up). It is easier on house & chassis A/C if they only have to maintain 70° F rather than try to cool down from 100° F. You just have to run the house A/C either from shore or gen all the time. In extreme heat, your strategy should be to MAINTAIN rather than trying to bridge a 30 or 40 degree differential. I timed my AI and it took a 12 hrs. to bridge that 40 degrees from 110° and 4hrs. of it was night time
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #8
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I'll reiterate the window tinting suggestion. There's another thread on the subject. We recently had 3M Crystalline window tinting applied to the windshield and driver & passenger doors. It makes a BIG difference.

When we're parked - tailgating, extended shopping, sightseeing, etc. - we use our HeatShield screens on the windshield and driver & passenger doors. Yes, it makes the interior much darker but wow does it ever keep the solar load in check.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 04:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
The 3M crystalline 90 makes huge difference on the windshield deflecting heat. I cool mine with AC on overnight plugged in at home the night before travelling. My fantastic fan sucks air out while pulling air thru back windows so running it with air conditioner would pull cool air out. With the heat, you have to keep shades down, put out awning if you can and put your front cabin window covers on and minimize going in and out.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Defeating (or at least minimizing) heat gain in an Interstate requires a multi-pronged approach. Here are two threads that you might want to research.

Declaring war on Interstate summer heat gain

Front clip protection and window tint

On the cab tint, I went with 3M CR-70 instead of the referenced CR-90, and I'm very glad I did.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
If you go with tint on your windshield, just be sure it is legal in your state. Plus, you will lose it when and if you have to replace your windshield. I'm glad I only did the driver and passenger side widows because on our very next trip we got a big crack on our windshield before even getting out of our city limits.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
ROWIEBOWIE - That sucks. Good you didn't have it tint yet. Was going mention same, some states only CR90 is legal on windshield, so could be risky if stopped. We lucky in NV, CR70 is legal.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
ROWIEBOWIE - That sucks. Good you didn't have it tint yet. Was going mention same, some states only CR90 is legal on windshield, so could be risky if stopped. We lucky in NV, CR70 is legal.

Yeah, I would have wasted $500 (their quote). As it turns out, the replacement windshield was only $325. Guess they can't charge all the plumber's out there driving Chevy Express vans too high a price for relacement.

If it weren't for night driving (which I avoid anyway), I'd probably attempt to flaunt local laws and go all "Vegas" on my van. Mmmmm, limo tint on the front cab side windows.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Yeah, I would have wasted $500 (their quote). As it turns out, the replacement windshield was only $325. Guess they can't charge all the plumber's out there driving Chevy Express vans too high a price for relacement.

If it weren't for night driving (which I avoid anyway), I'd probably attempt to flaunt local laws and go all "Vegas" on my van. Mmmmm, limo tint on the front cab side windows.
ROWIEBOWIE - At the rate our local plumbers charge, I would think they would charge you more to get even

If you don't drive a lot at night and your local law enforcement does not hassle drivers just based on tinting, and you are a careful driver, I would go all "Vegas" When I inherited an old Toyota Corolla from my dad, I limo tinted all 4 side windows and rear hatch. But when I drove at night on dimly lit streets, I had to roll down widows to see. Same thing when parking. But we drove it 99.9% during daytime anyways, so did not become an issue. But for such an old 4-dr economy car that did not even have fancy wheels, that tinting made it look really "cool" & definitely brought temps inside way down.