Old 08-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
2006 22' Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Need an eloquent way to secure Yeti cooler inside van...

I got a pretty good size Yeti cooler as a gift. It fits in the aisle of our 06/07 Interstate when we travel for extra refrigerated space. While camping we keep it outside (sometimes chained to a wheel or something) to hold ice, drinks and miscellany. This type of cooler really holds cold well.

But even empty, it is very heavy, and it takes up a big space, with surprisingly small space for contents. It came with rubber feet. This was a good thing, b/c it didn't slide around on the floor of the van while underway. This was a bad thing, b/c you could not slide it into place, you had to pick it up. Did I mention it's heavy!

So I got a kit from Yeti and replace the feet with plastic slider feet. This was a good thing b/c now I can slide it down the aisle instead of picking it up. This is a bad thing b/c if we have to make a sudden stop, it slides toward the front. The dog is distrustful.

We have the rear bed model with the jack-knife sofa across the back, opens up to make the bed. I figured out a way to secure it in the back by placing a board that goes from the left cabinet where the cupholders are to right side, same place, routing said board through a handle. Not very eloquent, but it works.

Any suggestions about how to more eloquently secure this cooler while underway. I can't mount it on the bumper, like InterBlog does, my spare tire is mounted there. I've thought about removing the round plate that you put the table leg into (we never use the table) and mounting a block of wood in just the right place to hold the cooler in place. That would work, but I just know I'll kick the dang thing in the dark and bust a toe.
2010 GMC 2500HD Sierra Crew 4x Diesel
2006/07 Airstream Interstate
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
To confirm, you want to store that cooler INSIDE your Interstate?

Why?

EDIT: I didn’t see your spare tire comment until I re-read. Even so, if I were you, I would devise some means of keeping it on the tail.

ICYMI, we carry our Yeti on our tail. Yes, it’s a hassle to get a proper hitch carrier for it (we welded our own). But holy crap, it’s worth every penny / hour of effort to achieve. Mark my words - you would not regret it.

This year, it was even more essential for us because it allowed us to carry our ice blocks into quarantine.

A few pics, including an early pic of the carrier when it was almost finished, plus this year’s cache. Ice blocks still solid after 5 days in the Yeti. Ice blocks being unloaded in the woods, almost 3,000 miles from where they were prepared.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 05:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
No matter how eloquent you are, talking to it won't help.

Old 08-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Is there any way to keep the handle from pinching your fingers every time you touch the thing while the feet are stuck to the truck bed? Glad to hear about the plastic feet. Guess I will try to find them.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
2006 22' Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Elegant! Dang it!!!

In an attempt to be eloquent, I misspoke when I meant "elegant". I should blame autocorrect, but its just bone-headedness!
Old 08-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
2006 22' Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Is there any way to keep the handle from pinching your fingers every time you touch the thing while the feet are stuck to the truck bed? Glad to hear about the plastic feet. Guess I will try to find them.
I may have gotten the “feet replacement kit” direct from Yeti, but I sorta remember getting it from a fishing shop that was well stocked with Yeti accessories. You’ll want to watch a YouTube on doing the swap. My rubber feet tore up, so there’s no going back. No regrets.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Velcro strips?
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:45 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I have a Pelican, indeed, these buggers are heavy!

Maybe reinstall the rubber feet on only one end and slide the other end. Or a door stop, with or without non-slide material on the bottom--velcro as JCWDCW suggested, if carpet, or if smooth, this stuff
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The ROOS stuff really works on smooth surfaces.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Austin , Texas
My 2015 Sprinter has cargo D rings near the floor behind both the driver and passenger seats. If your van has them, perhaps you can secure the yeti to the D ring. Best wishes!
Blondie2015AI-Lounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Denton , Texas
I believe those sliders are a YETI exclusive product, unless Chinese have knocked it off too. Trust me, the feet of a YETI can be as different as a real yeti's feet. They have sent me two replacement sets (non-skid) so far, and both are wrong. So if anyone needs non-skid, send me a pic of yours. These fit, were supposed to fit, a 45-qt and maybe they still do fit a newer cooler?
Old 08-27-2020, 06:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Suggest you try setting a piece of that rubbery shelf liner stuff under one edge of the cooler and then the other by lifting up one handle and keep the other side on the floor. Do both sides. See if that is non-skid enough to keep it in place.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I forgot to ask... what size of Yeti is it?

It re-raises the spare tire issue. Has anyone on this forum ever replaced their own Interstate tire? Or is the spare just hauled around as dead weight while a road-side service is invoked to take care of any issues?

At this point, we are carrying ours only because of the pandemic. We entered Canada and were required to quarantine for 14 days. En route and while here, if we had had a tire issue, yes, in that context, we would have had to replace it ourselves, hence I bought a new one before we left Houston (the original was 14 years old and had dry rot).

But even while in Canada previously, when I had tire issues, I’ve always just called Good Sam to deal with it, and they’ve done a great job. I wouldn’t change my own tire unless forced by prevailing legal circumstances. When we get back to Texas, we might dismount the thing and store it in our garage.
Old 08-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
2006 22' Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillfromWI View Post
I have a Pelican, indeed, these buggers are heavy!

Maybe reinstall the rubber feet on only one end and slide the other end. Or a door stop, with or without non-slide material on the bottom--velcro as JCWDCW suggested, if carpet, or if smooth, this stuff
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The ROOS stuff really works on smooth surfaces.
A DOORSTOP! Wow, great idea. Come to think of it, I actually had this idea when we first faced this problem, but I forgot about it. I like what I read about the ROOS stuff, maybe a doorstop with a piece of ROOS on the bottom. I mentioned the doorstop idea to my wife, she stuck her head in a closet and came out with two brand new doorstops. So that idea will be easy to try.

Thanks, BillfromWI!
Old 08-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
2006 22' Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie2015 View Post
My 2015 Sprinter has cargo D rings near the floor behind both the driver and passenger seats. If your van has them, perhaps you can secure the yeti to the D ring. Best wishes!
Blondie2015, I'm liking this idea too! I been thinking about removing the large table "foot" from between the two side bench seats. We've had our van a couple of years, and we have never used the table. Aside from trying the parts out, determining that the table doesn't fit to make it into a bed, and redoing the table to make it fit—the table has never been used as a table or sleeping surface. I'm seeing a lot more storage potential under the couch, and removal of the large table disk from the center of the floor will make things more comfortable for us all.

The cargo D-rings would fit up under the lip of the couch and be largely out of the way. I'll be looking into this idea. Might even have the parts "in stock". Thanks!
Old 08-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
2006 22' Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
I believe those sliders are a YETI exclusive product, unless Chinese have knocked it off too. Trust me, the feet of a YETI can be as different as a real yeti's feet. They have sent me two replacement sets (non-skid) so far, and both are wrong. So if anyone needs non-skid, send me a pic of yours. These fit, were supposed to fit, a 45-qt and maybe they still do fit a newer cooler?
Here's a picture of my non-slip feet that I replaced on my YETI 45.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yeti45 non-slip feet.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	377108
You can see, they did not come off without some damage. My YETI is approximately 3 years old.

I now recall, I got the replacement slider feet at Southern Reel in Little Rock, a fishing store that stocks the full line of YETI accessories. I also believe a place like Bass Pro Shop carries a lot of accessories.

Indeed, I was able to find the YETI Tundra Slider Feet on the Southern Reel website, but not anything like non-skid feet. Just curious, why are you replacing them? As hard as they were to remove, I can't imagine what might damage them.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
2006 22' Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I forgot to ask... what size of Yeti is it?

It re-raises the spare tire issue. Has anyone on this forum ever replaced their own Interstate tire? Or is the spare just hauled around as dead weight while a road-side service is invoked to take care of any issues?
Ours is a YETI Tundra 45, I believe it's the same model as yours (but in white). You raise a valid point: "Do we really need a spare time?" I think the main reason I still have one is inertia. I would have to rewire the license plate lights and remove the hardware holding the swing-out spare mount.

I will say, I do feel some comfort in having a spare. But I offer a warning to anyone else so comforted...Make sure you have what you need to actually change a tire. Right after I got ours, I was checking our lug-bolt torques, something you're supposed to do periodically with aluminum wheels. I decided to see if I could mount the spare. I ran into two problems: 1) The spare is mounted on a steel wheel and the lug-bolts you need are different from the ones used for the aluminum wheels. Without those shorter bolts you could do some serious damage to the running gear. 2) The tires are seriously heavy! And they mount with bolts, not the usual nuts like most vehicles. With the lugs on the brake drum, it's not a major problem to hang the wheel on the lug and start a nut. But with no place to hang the wheel, because the lugs are on the bolt, not sticking out of the brake drum, you have to hold the heavy wheel/tire in perfect alignment to get the lug-bolt started. Turns out the tire changing kit is not only supposed to have shorter lug bolts for the spare, but also supposed to have "lug studs". These thread into the mounting holes in the wheel, before you try to mount the tire. This give you something to "hang" the wheel from, so you can align the rest of the lug-bolts. Then you remove the studs and replace them with the remaining bolts. Both these items were missing in my kit, but are absolutely required if you are going to change your own tires. I believe the shorter lug bolts might not be standard equipment on most service vehicles you might get to help you get out of the boonies.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:55 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
2006 22' Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Suggest you try setting a piece of that rubbery shelf liner stuff under one edge of the cooler and then the other by lifting up one handle and keep the other side on the floor. Do both sides. See if that is non-skid enough to keep it in place.
This is an easy enough thing to try. I definitely have some of this stuff in stock. Well worth a try. Thanks Piggy Bank!
Old 09-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

spartanburg , South Carolina
Yeti coolers are in high demand so thieves are looking for them. I would stick to the indoor solution so you don't have it stolen. I have even read to not put a Yeti sticker on your vehicle or someone will break in to take the cooler. We had ours stolen on a cross country trip last year (it was inside our truck). Ours was just a small over the shoulder one but we did not replace it. Decided the Walmart brand worked just fine.
patriciaphal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Troutdale , Oregon
How about putting the rubber feet on one end of the cooler, and the plastic feet on the other? When you need to slide it, just pick up the rubber end an inch, and push/pull on the plastic feet. Hopefully two rubber feet would be enough to hold it in place while underway. Best of both worlds!
Spamcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciaphal View Post
Yeti coolers are in high demand so thieves are looking for them. I would stick to the indoor solution so you don't have it stolen. I have even read to not put a Yeti sticker on your vehicle or someone will break in to take the cooler. We had ours stolen on a cross country trip last year (it was inside our truck). Ours was just a small over the shoulder one but we did not replace it. Decided the Walmart brand worked just fine.
Welcome to the forum!

I don’t recommend a Yeti at all because they are poorly designed from a security perspective. If I were buying new right now, I would buy a Cabela’s cooler with handles through which chains could be run, if they are still available (due to merge with Bass Pro).

That being said, we bought our Yeti years ago when there was no competition, no other high-end coolers, so we had no such choice of brand. Therefore, when we designed our hitch carrier, we made the Yeti virtually un-steal-able. It would take so much effort to steal it that nobody would try.

First, we attached the hitch carrier (which is itself a custom design) to our Interstate’s frame using a Pewag chain which is almost impossible to cut:

Second, we welded thick metal bars that extended through the slots in the Yeti and which padlock underneath the hitch carrier - where it would be almost impossible to cut them off (no access for bolt cutters):

I describe the design and construction process more fully in this blog post, and others linked to it.

Bottom line: Nobody has stolen our Yeti in 4 years of carrying it on our tail. I will be amazed if anyone ever gets through all the security we’ve attached to it.