Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckdave View Post
Blondie2015, I'm liking this idea too! I been thinking about removing the large table "foot" from between the two side bench seats. We've had our van a couple of years, and we have never used the table. Aside from trying the parts out, determining that the table doesn't fit to make it into a bed, and redoing the table to make it fit—the table has never been used as a table or sleeping surface. I'm seeing a lot more storage potential under the couch, and removal of the large table disk from the center of the floor will make things more comfortable for us all.

The cargo D-rings would fit up under the lip of the couch and be largely out of the way. I'll be looking into this idea. Might even have the parts "in stock". Thanks!

I echo the idea to install D-rings to the interior wood pieces that you never see back there... where the attachment bolts would have their heads facing rearward and the drill you use to make the bolt holes facing forwards. Then install your favorite buckle strap or whatever to keep it from flying forward in case of accident.

Very discrete and way better looking than an outboard mounted rack or cage hanging off the back. It sounds like you already have a way to secure the cooler outside at when you are camped.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
2006 22' Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Still working on an elegant solution to flying cooler problem...

We went camping for three days last week, just 7 miles from our home. It rained all three days, and stayed hot. Preping now for a week long trip to Lake Ouachita starting tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be much cooler, and there is usually a nice breeze off the lake.

I had some time to try a couple of things.

1) The door stops did not work. I have not yet ordered the non-skid pieces that was suggested to use with the door stops. That might work.

I did remove the floor ring that secures the dining table, and put it and the table and post away in the warehouse. Do not miss it at all, and loving the extra space.

2) I did try using the non-skid shelf lining rubber. I had a big sheet of it, so I cut it to fit the cooler bottom. With the empty cooler in place, I happened to brake medium-hard for a light change, and the Yeti came charging all the way up to the front. Yikes. Might have worked better with 30 lbs of ice and stuff in the cooler, IDK.

3) I put my board back into service. The cooler goes with the handles facing forward and aft, the board fits through the rear handle and behind the aft sides of the facing side seats. It's too long to slide out, the board has to be positioned/removed from the top. Not very elegant, but I talked very eloquently to the board and got full cooperation. It worked great.

4) I'm currently seeking some nice D-rings. I've been to two hardware stores, but all they had were really bulky ugly ones, way over-size for this application. But my wife's Prius has very nice chrome D-ring tie downs in the back...Hmmm.

Interblog, your solutions are always so well thought out and executed. I really appreciate what you share with our community. With my rear couch arrangement, much of my storage is behind/under the couch and I need to be able to open both rear doors for access. When using the bike rack, it swings away to one side and the spare swings to the other so I can get into both doors.

Tronadora, that's the way I'm leaning right now. Your suggestions are good. I may get away with a tie-down on just one side. I can build a custom tether with a carabiner for quick release/attach.

Thanks, everyone for kicking in gear with the suggestions. Very helpful.
2010 GMC 2500HD Sierra Crew 4x Diesel
2006/07 Airstream Interstate
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Austin , Texas
My wife put on some "furniture grippers" - haven't tried it yet, but will report back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	378227
pd_austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2019 ​Interstate Nineteen
Austin , Texas
Well, to follow-up - those do work great at keeping the cooler in place. But I think - at least with carpet - it probably doesn’t slide enough to move w/o lifting on a bigger YETI.

My YETI is the 35 so just not as much weight - so with the grippers it grips well enough (on carpet) to stay but can move around/drag a bit if needed to get in/out.
pd_austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
2006 22' Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Prius Tie Down Hooks for securing Yeti

Well, I've looked in at least 4 hardware stores for decent looking "D" ring tie downs as suggested by Blondie2015AI-Lounge and Tronadora and have not been able to locate anything that doesn't really just belong on a farm tractor or some such. One thing I thought was amazing: All the hardware store (I'm talking little hardware stores, not "big box" like Home Despot) have virtually the same hardware. When you look in all the aisles just to make sure you haven't missed the perfect solution, you get pretty familiar with all their stock.

Anyway, I mentioned earlier that I had found the perfect D-ring tie downs in the back of my wife's Prius. But, I really didn't want to salvage those, but I was getting desperate. Today, it came to me! So I google searched "Prius V tie-down hook" and BINGO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prius Tie Down Hooks.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	379628

Coming from eBay. And I'm getting 3 of them. I need to figure out something to do with the extras.

Thanks, all for your helpful comments and suggestions. See ya down the road!
2010 GMC 2500HD Sierra Crew 4x Diesel
2006/07 Airstream Interstate
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I haven't been paying close attention to this thread, but then I saw that pic.

A good source for all things connector-ish is Strapworks in Eugene Oregon. They sell a stainless steel version of this that I have used maybe a dozen places in our Interstate. It pairs superbly with the perforated aluminum I've used to craft multiple ergonomic accessories.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:33 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Denton , Texas
If anyone needs a new set of YETI feet, let me know. My cooler is so old, and their employees so new, I keep getting the wrong set sent to me. I have two different NEW sets that do not fit my 45 (and still do not have the correct ones). My skiff is about to be covered with SeaDek, so it won't matter much after that.
One tip YETI put out years ago that works for me: Cover the cooler with a towel to add insulation value. I did that with two towels and got days of extra ice in Texas summer sun.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
As previously noted...

I really can't help...I've never had a cooler that could talk.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Need an eloquent way to secure Yeti cooler

With the name facing out so everyone can see you have a Yeti, of course.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #30
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Write "Cheap Yeti Knockoff" on the other side with a big sharpie marker and put that side out. Much safer.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Looks like this thread is turning into something you'd find on F*cebook