Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Houston , Texas
Need advice on selling my Interstate.

Hello everyone,

As you may know that I had so many issues with my 2014 1/2 Interstate Ext lounge model that I bought brand new so I have finally decided to get rid of it before I have more headaches with it in the future. I have never sell anything like this in my life and I need some advices like how much I should ask for or where I could just go and sell it straight out without having to worry about people coming to test it out like a CarMax for RV. Thanks!
Dungrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Are the issues you had really that serious? Do you think anything was operator error? You may have most the bugs worked out now and be ready for some fun times.

First thing I would do is ask your dealer what they would give you for it if only for a reference point as I know it will probably be below what you will take.

Second, if selling privately make a list of all the known issues and fully disclose same to perspective Buyers. I know you made some posts here that they may eventually find anyway. If everything has been taken care of that's All the better.

Third, check online sites like rvtrader and see what others are asking.

Fourth, be willing to take a pretty hefty bath over what you paid to get rid of it.

Good Luck
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Definitely post an ad up here.

What color, interior and how many miles?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
It's black on black with only 2700 miles. All the issues that I had are fixed under warranty, but I just worry about future problems without the warranty. Talked to the wife about the big lost in the down payment or more and she agreed to let it go. I can't stand buying new stuff and have to get it fix after a few months of usage. I feel like all the original parts are gone and the dealer techs probably missing a few screws here and there when they took stuff out to repair.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Sorry you had that experience. Ours has been a lot of fun so far. We have almost 11,000 miles on ours since May and leaving again on Sunday.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Check here.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Nada didn't show a price for 2014.
Also you have the chassis upgrade with your 2014.5 which was about $7k
Old 09-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
We love having the Interstate, it's so versatile and easy to use.. Day trips to the beach or an amusement park or long trips across country... It is so nice having a small easy to maneuver home on wheels... That's a shame you had so many problems I can see how that can be frustrating after spending what we all spent on these coaches!!
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you follow the "Won't Start" thread, you'll know I'm having problems with my Interstate right now as well. But I'm growing more philosophical about the whole thing, especially since I got a good story to tell about my misadventure. I can't even imagine selling mine; my current spot of bad luck will pass, and I'll be back on the road soon enough.

I'm sorry you've had such poor luck with yours, and I wish you well in your quest to sell.

Just to toss out a suggestion for consideration, have you considered taking it to a dealer to sell on consignment? It may not get you quite top dollar, because the dealer will naturally take his cut, but you can tell him the minimum amount you'll accept for it (NOT counting his commission) so that the dealer can't negotiate the price lower than you're willing to go. And you save a few hassles because it's stored on his lot and he's responsible for keeping it up until such time as it's sold. The consignment dealer also becomes responsible for vetting the buyers to make sure no one gets ripped off.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Have you thought about getting an extended warranty from Good Sam, CornerStone, or Coach Net? Mine is at RBM in Atlanta for battery and propane issues and I have the same thought but I did purchase an extended warranty for a greater peace of mind...might cover the depreciation cost...just thoughts.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
2013 Interstate Coach
Grand Rapids , Michigan
PPL Motorhomes sell a ton of consignments. Also you can (dig a little and) look at their sold prices.

It is a rare RV that doesn't need some bugs worked through. Used or new.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
fonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I know how you feel. After spending a week at Jackson Center, and then the next day finding more things needed fixing that didn't get fixed, I was about ready to let it go at a loss as it is very frustrating. You start to hate it with a passion reserved for ex-spouses. I'm glad I didn't trade it though, and I'll tell you why.

I made another stop and Airstream while nearby a bit later, and they fixed the remaining issues. Now, the van is almost what it should have been when I took delivery and I'm happy with it (I still have a minor issue that I will fix myself). Just returned from a 7000 mile trip across the entire NE continent. The van never caused a single problem and just cruised on down the road day after very long day and all systems worked as they should.

It sounds to me that for some reason, an electrical issue of some sort blew out your electronics. About the only thing that could do that is a very serious surge (not likely but possible), maybe caused by a nearby lightning strike while plugged into the AC, or plugging into a higher than allowed voltage by someone (maybe even the dealer), or even a power issue beyond your control.

It sounds like they fixed the issues, although you have more patience than I would have had in getting it done. Since you have most of the warranty still left, if there should be any issue, it would still be covered. Realize that Airstream just outfits these vans, and that consists of running the wiring, installing the components like the microwave, generator, tanks, plumbing, etc, but MB builds the chassis and that's where the major components that can fail are and I doubt you will have a problem in that regard. In all likelihood, what's broke has been fixed, and won't fail again. There will be other things you will find go wrong, but most of them should be minor. The biggest cost item is the generator and if that works now, it likely will in the future.

My Interstate did not have as serious issue as yours out of the box, but it probably had more minor and frustrating defects. And all of them have been resolved. To sell an almost brand new Interstate will cost you about 20% or more of what you paid new-and that is not pocket change. And even worse, unless you have one custom made to your specifications by a company like Advanced RV where you can be sure it's made correctly at much higher cost, there is no guarantee the next one will be much better. Take Roadtrek, for instance. Looks great in fit and finish. No insulation anywhere behind the panels, and shortcuts you can't see, though, and won't know about until you live in it awhile and discover the shortcomings. That's not much of an improvement. It is my opinion all of the manufacturer's except those like Advanced RV that do one-offs (that charge about 1/3 or more for the privilege) take as many short-cuts as they can get by with. Airstream takes that philosophy to the limit. And it's a shame because they do use better components, and build it on a upgraded van. Quantity, not quality, is their current operating procedure. And until someone comes along, for a competitive price, and does better, that's not likely to change.

Fortunately, most of things that can go wrong are not that hard to fix.

My advice, is stick with it awhile longer and use it. See if anything major crops up while it is still in warranty (and don't worry about the little things, because that's normal). If no major issues arise, you may be glad you did not sell it, because I'm sure glad I didn't, in an emotional moment, shell out another $50,000 to trade it for something else.

And that's why I'm glad I didn't.

Good luck, in any event.

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungrace View Post
Hello everyone,

As you may know that I had so many issues with my 2014 1/2 Interstate Ext lounge model that I bought brand new so I have finally decided to get rid of it before I have more headaches with it in the future. I have never sell anything like this in my life and I need some advices like how much I should ask for or where I could just go and sell it straight out without having to worry about people coming to test it out like a CarMax for RV. Thanks!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Gerald,
I agree with your sentiment. Our 2005 Interstate came with many inexcusable problems. The worst one was an issue that intermittently caused ABS and cruise control errors with no apparent cause. Everyone assumed that it was a Sprinter issue, but it turned out to be a sloppily-installed (by Airstream) trailer-brake prewire socket that was just left dangling under the dash where it occasionally shorted out. VERY hard to find. There were many other problems.

As you say, though, we stuck it out and eventually got everything sorted. It was very painful and should never have been necessary, but in the end we had 9 very happy years with our van. I was proud to pass it on to the next owner in much better shape than AS delivered it to us. As many have observed, the Interstate is brilliantly designed but shoddily executed. If you are willing to work through the shoddiness, you will be rewarded by the great design.

I don't regret keeping our Interstate for as long as we did. Never again would I buy one, though.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I had similar sloppy electrical issues. A loose connector on the BIM under the rear seat caused much frustration. But it got fixed under warranty. We just completed over 10,000 mile trip to Alaska with no issues. Our rig now has over 40,000 miles on it and is working fine. I would also recommend keeping it.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Another point worth noting is that if you're thinking of getting another RV from any of the other mainstream manufacturers, you're likely to have to put up with similar shakedown issues all over again.
With your Interstate, it's really worth pursing - especially since you have a 3 year warranty. They can all be resolved given time and patience.
Good luck with your decision.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
I concur with everyone above. It's human nature to complain and feel bad when things go wrong (me included), but in the end, I love my Interstate. I admit to looking around to see what else is out there, but I haven't yet found anything better in this price range. Just my 2 c.
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Wife and I brought our Interstate in to see how much we can sell it for today and I was in shock when he told us how much. We said thank you and walk out the place without looking back, but at least we got a free waste dump. We were going to lose almost 22000 for only a few months of usage if we had decide to sell it, but I can't picture losing that much money. I just want to say thank you to everyone for the great advices and all the Infos I get from this forum.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
And then they would turn around and sell it for at least $10,000 of that $22,000 I suspect.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
If you would only lose $22k including your sales tax then that doesn't seem that bad to me. You will probably lose more by waiting. Not sure how it works with the sales tax in Texas. I know in CA mine was around $10k

You will also lose your monthly payments as more time goes by and if you wait until the 2016s are out, your unit will be worth less.

You bought a high ticket item, you can't just take it back a few months later and not expect to lose $$$.

Check you PM
Old 09-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Need advice on selling my Interstate.

If you don't want an RV at all then selling now to cut your losses is probably a good idea. However if you still want to have a B-van or some other RV keeping your Interstate makes sense. Sure it will be worth less in each future year - but you will use it and that's just the cost of use or depreciation.

Again, just my 2 cents. Best of luck in you decision.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote