Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Need a new macerator pump

So I had some routine maintenance done on my 2014 airstream interstate and while I was at the shop I asked the guys to empty the tanks for me. I usually do this myself but it seemed convenient at the time so I asked. Three weeks later I finally go to dump the tanks myself and I see that they left the macerator pump turned on. It's hard for me to understand how that could have happened as it makes such a loud noise. Regardless, I believe that the macerator pump has burned out and will need to be replaced. I did check fuses and battery level just in case and that seemed fine. The valves will open and close but the macerator pump will not run. Water pump is also running fine. Have any of you replaced the macerator pump yourself? Where did you get the part and how much work is involved? Thanks in advance.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
We just had a discussion on this very topic. See: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-174052-2.html
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I couldn't open the link shared here directly but I did search up recent macerater pump posts and tried replacing the fuse and turning the shaft a few times with a screw driver. We found that the new fuses would blow immediately when we tried to turn the pump on.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I watched Jackson Center replace ours under warranty. About 1 hour of effort. Wires did not have quick connects - they cut them and used crimp butt connectors. They used a bunch of silicon (or something) to help seal the 3" hose at the macerator inlet.

My pump had a couple of the studs broken -studs that held the inlet section to the body. A recent thread talked about better studs being available - but that doesn't sound to be your problem.
Good Luck
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I changed mine out a couple of weeks ago after the Mercedes shop broke my plumbing and then left a shop towel in the repaired plumbing. Needless to say, that was the end of a pump!

It took me a couple of hours flat on my back with the van up on blocks to change it out. The pump is a FloJet model 18550-000, from Amazon at about $149 shipped. Mercedes is buying me a new pump.

Not too hard to change, but it took several different sockets and extensions to get the nuts off and on.

I just came back from a 5-day Airstream rally and the new pump worked just fine.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I changed mine a few months back. Mine being a 2013 the nuts been rusted on the studs. All 4 broke off and now I had to drill holes in the bracket and used screws and nuts to tie the macerator down.
It is a messy job for sure and if you add it do the mode Pahaska did it is on my to do list.
Good luck.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:08 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
So I had some routine maintenance done on my 2014 airstream interstate and while I was at the shop I asked the guys to empty the tanks for me. I usually do this myself but it seemed convenient at the time so I asked. Three weeks later I finally go to dump the tanks myself and I see that they left the macerator pump turned on. It's hard for me to understand how that could have happened as it makes such a loud noise.
Before you go to the expense of replacing the pump, check to make sure yours isn't just jammed. That could explain how they left it turned on, if it just stopped turning while they were using it and they left it that way.

It may turn out that you need a new pump after all, but it doesn't hurt to check. You have to crawl underneath with a flat-blade screwdriver, insert the screwdriver in the slot on the motor end of the pump, and manually turn it. Once you've done that, try the switch one more time. If it still doesn't run, THEN start looking for a replacement pump.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:18 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Manual dump?

Pump has been confirmed dead. Is there a way to manually dump? The shop we took it to "doesn't come across macerator pumps much". We will attempt to switch it out ourselves. Just hoping for a way to dump it first.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpearl View Post
Pump has been confirmed dead. Is there a way to manually dump? The shop we took it to "doesn't come across macerator pumps much". We will attempt to switch it out ourselves. Just hoping for a way to dump it first.

You will get your hands dirty (hopefully with your face shield on) once you disconnect the flex hose to the pump, even with the dump valves closed there’s a couple of gallons of standing gray water sitting in there (if you followed proper instructions on your last dump did you? ;-))I would then replace the pump, reconnect and drive to a dump station to empty the tanks.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote