Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
NCV3 Interstate - Removing Exterior Plastic Trim?

Has anyone ever removed the Airstream installed trim and simply left the Mercedes trim in place on an NCV3 Sprinter?

We purchased a 2010 Interstate (used) and question the quality and integrity of the paint on the plastic trim and method of attachment of said trim. It appears the painted trim (locations identified in the picture below) is simply glued on (perhaps double-sided tape) to the existing black trim installed by Mercedes.

There are lots of Sprinter vans running around with black trim and bumpers and they look fine. Yes, it's neat that our Interstate has the monochromatic silver look but it also looks a bit shabby due to paint and plastic that are oxidizing a different rates and some of the trim is actually coming loose.

Most of the trim seems to be glued/taped in place. The bumper covers are also riveted in a few locations. Seems all of that trim could be removed and with a bit of elbow grease get the black trim looking pretty good.

I've seen reference to some Interstate owners obtaining warranty work to repaint or replace discolored and ill-attached trim but our van is well beyond the warranty period.

Comments/suggestions...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trim_locations.PNG
Views:	226
Size:	480.3 KB
ID:	306461  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Interstate_Trim.pdf (204.7 KB, 54 views)
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Boy, you hit a nerve with this one.

My 2011, purchased new, uses the same trim. It started falling off almost immediately because of the lack of surface prep Airstream did when they slapped it on (and I mean that literally). What didn't start falling off, within two years, started to develop spider type paint defects, so what wasn't falling off looked horrible, to the point I wished it would all fall off.

But, it didn't. It instead flapped in the wind, AND looked horrible.

So, when I had my 2011 in Jackson City to fix other things under warranty, I pointed out the paint issues (I had already fixed the falling off problem). Airstream techs called the manufacturer, who told them to buff it out-and they did, right down to the black rubber underneath. At that point, I made them a deal because I'd already been there a week. I said if they'd just give me new ones, I'd replace them myself, because pulling off the trim, removing the panels and adhesive, and replacing is very labor intensive. And that's what I've been doing as they either come loose or look so bad I can't stand it anymore.

So, yes, I've removed them. And no, it's not easy. The underlying panel are held on with snaps and will pop off. You will be lucky only to break a couple but you can replace them. And it will likely be impossible to simply remove the plastic trim, because the adhesive leaves a mark that will not come off, at least, that was my experience.

And I agree, it would have been better if they had just left those things off. But then, beauty is skin deep, remember?

My advice is to purchase new trim from MB, put off the old ones, and replace them all if that's what you want to do.

Or, have them repainted. Maybe this time, by a firm that knows how to paint, and applied, by a firm that knows how to do a proper surface prep for double sided tape (or at least read the directions on the package!).
Old 03-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Our trim has never loosened and tried to come off, but we did have it all replaced because the paint was peeling and it looked like crap.

The replaced trim has then not been a problem, and it could be the quality of the replacement trim vs the original.

Might take your rig in to a trusted body shop and see what they suggest.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 03-16-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Ours looks blotchy too. The front bumper was loose and JC removed and reinstalled it. It was very labor intensive - most difficult was removing the old double stick. My thumb got sore just watching them rub it off. The re-installation has lasted 4 years. If I recall, the black plastic bumper underneath had holes hacked in it to mount something - maybe Parktronic - in the new Airstream molding. So the hacked up original would look crappy too.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:07 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Ditto for mine, a 2014.5 model year with only 26,000 miles, looks like somebody took a steel wool pad to them. I was shown a brand new 2017 with similar etching although much less visible. I’m thinking they just need a re spray using plastic friendly paint.
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Our trim has never loosened and tried to come off, but we did have it all replaced because the paint was peeling and it looked like crap.
I am curious as to what trim you are referring to.

And also I don't know if this information is useful to the NCV3 posters, but what they describe sounds like a straightforward product defect - I don't know if there's any formal way to get that remedied outside of warranty.

The added pieces, trim, ground effects, whatever they are to be called, on our Interstate are superb - Airstream did a great job of them. I'm in the middle of spring waxing and I took this picture yesterday evening. I'm really impressed with the way the paint job is standing up - this is a "soft" part, and it's eleven years old. There's very little age-related degradation visible anywhere, and this stuff is close to the ground so it takes the maximum beating.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The silver trim strips, as shown on your Interstate, tho my colors are different and my trim may be more extensive and in different areas.

Maggie
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The NCV3 trim is attached w/ 3M VHB tape or equivalent. If applied properly and to properly prepped surfaces, the foam will fail before the adhesive does.

The paint issue could be caused by poor prep, wrong materials, and/or poor application.

Mine had both problems.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:48 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Nags Head, NC , North Carolina
Yep, same on my 2015 AI. This has been around for some time. Surely there's a retired chemical engineer out there that could take this on as a project.
Ridgejockey is offline   Reply With Quote