Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
My solution for storage capacity increase.

Another piece in my grand plan for a 45 day trip next year fell into place this week. I took delivery of a tear drop trailer called a 5x10 Silver Shadow manufactured by Little Guy Trailers.

From my point of view this solution provides a (sanity saver) spare bedroom with A/C (ladies get the Interstate, I get my own bedroom ) an external galley set up, plenty of additional storage space and a sanity preserver. It also provides flexibility for camp site security of stuff, holding a site as occupied and can be used by a multitude of vehicles in my household.

Only weighs about a 1000 lbs and tows like a dream. Given money to spend on a 4x8 or 4x6 enclosed utility trailer this turns out to be a much more flexible solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8338.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	284.7 KB
ID:	199931  
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I use a Honda Fit hatchback as a toad, with the 64cf of available cargo space in the Honda used to haul my outdoor gear— Cobb grill, patio chairs and mat, inflatable kayak, Coleman canopy for the campsite picnic table if I know that natural shade is sparse, a folding table if the campground doesn't provide picnic tables, whatever seems appropriate for the trip.

Plus I have the ability to make a grocery run or visit nearby attractions or whatever without having to break camp to do it.

I do have a question about towing your camping trailer behind your Interstate; do you expect you will come across a campground that doesn't allow you to set up both in the same campsite? Most campgrounds in my experience have one 30-amp outlet per site, so if you need 30-amp for each, you'd need two sites. Unless of course the campsite provides both 30 and 50 on the same pedestal, and you use a 50-to-30 adaptor for one of your units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0162-small.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	199937  
Old 11-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I looked at a tear drop trailer yesterday, sheltered bed and basic galley under the hatch. I would have died for one of these when young and traveling with a tent.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Pro,

For a long time I seriously pondered and researched the concept of a towable vehicle when I had my class C.

In the end I did not want another vehicle to maintain, to insure and in the driveway (with my kids vehicles, already have too many) not to mention the acquisition cost of said towable and necessary gear. It exposed a rabbit hole I did not want to descend into. Went down a similar hole in my former racing life.

As far as powering the trailer is concerned, thoughts that mirror your comments have floated through my head. I envision and am planning for single site use. However the power requirements for that teardrop are minimal, the largest being draw being the A/C at 4.8A / 515W. The second being a 110v/12v portable fridge at 3A. I will have to find a way to split the power from the pedestal on days that I actually hook up and manage the use. I may wind up designing a current sensing / relay based switch from stuff my company sells. The alternative is my 2kw honda generator or designing a solar set up and battery upgrade from the stock interstate marine in the unit now to a lifeline.

All fun and good stuff.
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiato View Post
As far as powering the trailer is concerned, thoughts that mirror your comments have floated through my head. I envision and am planning for single site use. However the power requirements for that teardrop are minimal, the largest being draw being the A/C at 4.8A / 515W. The second being a 110v/12v portable fridge at 3A. I will have to find a way to split the power from the pedestal on days that I actually hook up and manage the use. I may wind up designing a current sensing / relay based switch from stuff my company sells. The alternative is my 2kw honda generator or designing a solar set up and battery upgrade from the stock interstate marine in the unit now to a lifeline.
If power requirements are that low, then no problem. Most 30amp pedestals also include a pair of 15amp outlets alongside, and you could plug the trailer into one of those.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
A couple in our unit do something similar, with a customized teardrop towed behind a B190. I think they already had the teardrop when they bought the B190. The teardrop just has a 15A cord, and that's more than enough to supply the little AC unit, TV and lights. I don't remember if they have a refrigerator in the trailer or not. They do just what Protagonist said, they plug the B190 into the 30A and the teardrop into one of the 15A. I've yet to come across a campground that had only the 30A or 50A and no 15A sockets, but I'm sure there's one out there somewhere.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Some campgrounds have a rule against people sleeping in more then 1 vehicle on the same site or charge extra for it.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Space saving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiato View Post
Pro,

For a long time I seriously pondered and researched the concept of a towable vehicle when I had my class C.

In the end I did not want another vehicle to maintain, to insure and in the driveway (with my kids vehicles, already have too many) not to mention the acquisition cost of said towable and necessary gear. It exposed a rabbit hole I did not want to descend into. Went down a similar hole in my former racing life.

All fun and good stuff.
No need to complicate your need for power. All power pedestals I have encountered at state, federal and private campgrounds have a 20 amp receptacle that will be sufficient for any teardrop trailer unless you have a 13500 btu a/c. Do use a outdoor rated cord of no less than 12 rated wire.
herrick51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I love the idea, My first RV was a tear drop, loved that trailer, you came up with clever idea!
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote