Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
My propane tank is gone!!

Got my interstate back from getting the camera fixed last week and I looked underneath today after reading about the generator topic and how it is difficult to change the oil.. As I peaked under there to see where my drain plug was I was shocked by all this space.. I couldn't figure out right away what was missing but soon realized that my tank was gone..

After calling the service department and talking to the manager and getting a less than warm response, he acted as if I was asking for one of his kidneys.. He said he would have to investigate.. We shall see how it pans out but I have a feeling I will be buying a new tank and never using that dealership again...
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Were they working in the area of the tank? Possible it had to removed for access and they forget to put it back. QC is a problem everywhere these days. Was the unit strored a secure area or simply parked in an open lot? Two sides to every story. I hope yours ends satisfactorily.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:42 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
There is no reason why the ASME propane tank would have to be removed to do any work on the rearview camera.

There is also no way the tank could have simply fallen off. Between the propane lines coming from the fill port and going to the appliances and the bolts fastening it to the vehicle's frame, it should be pretty securely attached, and an 18-gallon propane tank falling off a Sprinter van would get anyone's attention.

Since it didn't just fall off, and didn't need to be removed for the work that was done, but was removed at some point, it was stolen. Period. Treat it as such.

So assuming the propane tank was stolen off the van, the next questions are when and where. When was the last time you used propane? Or had the tank filled, if you filled it since you last used it? You need to know when was the last time you knew it was there for the police report and insurance claim.

And did you photograph the propane lines that used to go to the tank to see if they were cut, broken, or unfastened? How it came to be disconnected from the fill port and the line running to the appliances may not tell you who did it, but at present you really have no other evidence than that so it probably is best to get photos.

Also, file a police report AND an insurance claim. Forget about trying to deal with the dealer yourself over this. Let the police and insurance adustor do it.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Protag. Just when I get use to calling tanks cylinders, you go back to calling them tanks Sorry to here this Mjgman. I hope things work out. Go camping after you get your cylinder replaced, and all will be forgotten.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
It had to of been stolen at the dealer.. The manager says that's impossible " we have cameras and motion sensors".. The last time I used it is on our last trip then it was put back into a locked garage and it would have been very apparent if someone broke in.. Then I took it to the dealer..

So either it was a technician working on the wrong coach and possibly ruined the tank and didn't want to get in trouble.. It was stolen or they are running an insurance scam.. Take my tank off, I file a claim and they get another service fee paid by the insurance to install a new tank..

I think I'm more upset at how the manager was so matter of fact about the situation and a bit rude..

I guess the lesson here is:

Check the whole coach over with the service advisor inside and out and under.. Both sign off that everything is there..

Who thinks to check for a propane tank?? Too crazy!!

I'll let you all know what happens..
Old 08-25-2015, 06:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Good grief, looks like I need to lock my tanks up, another key on the key chain to memorize and fumble with.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Hopefully whoever took it, disconnected it rather than just cutting the lines as that would necessitate running new lines. I've always been a little dubious of using soft copper lines in a high vibration environment which leads to work hardening.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I would think it would be very difficult to steal the tank while the AI is on the ground. It is difficult to get under the home in that area, you would have very limited room to work, and I would wonder if the tank would slide out from under the AI given the height from the ground to the lower body molding. Somebody would first have to know you even have a tank in that location and then know how to unhook everything so you didn't blow yourself up.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
What's the name of this place so we can avoid it?

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:35 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Agree. Name of dealer?
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:43 PM   #11

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Protag. Just when I get use to calling tanks cylinders, you go back to calling them tanks Sorry to here this Mjgman. I hope things work out. Go camping after you get your cylinder replaced, and all will be forgotten.
It is an ASME tank. It's a built-in on an Interstate. DoT cylinders are removable. Which makes it stranger that it was stolen, because someone had to get underneath to remove it. The fact that it's an ASME tank also means that it will be more expensive to replace than just buying a new one. It will have to be installed by an RVIA-certified technician. Thus my recommendation that an insurance claim be filed, which will probably require a police report.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:58 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I really think that a tech made a mistake and didn't want to get in trouble.. The odds are pretty good that I might not be going on a trip for several months and not realize it was missing until I go to fill it back up ( that would have been a real shocker) like I said who checks underneath on a regular basis.. I only happened to check because of the generator thread...

It is a dealership in Nakomis Fl. Just north of Venice, they are a Roadtrek dealer.. I took it to them because they are closer to me than the Airstream Dealer and the camera was out of warranty and under the extended.. I've used them before with my last coach but I certainly will never use them again...

I can accept mistakes and I am a pretty reasonable person, but when someone won't even own up to their mistakes and not really offer any solutions then I know they are not ones to do business with..
Old 08-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
What did the police and insurance have to say on this matter?
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #14
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Not related to the OP's troubles but I have twin 30 lb. aluminum tanks on my trailer.
I always remove them and store them inside with the curtains closed when I lock up and leave.
You just never know...
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This begs a larger question. *IF* that tank was stolen while the Interstate was sitting on a car lot, if it did occur I assume that would be for the value of the scrap metal??

Not necessarily a far-fetched idea as drug people will steal everything from everywhere, and I mean everything, including brass valves excavated from our subdivision's common area sprinkler system that had a scrap value of about five entire bucks.

However, my practical question is - if that occurred, how did they get the tank off and out?

I've raised this issue with my husband previously because I like to boondock in strange places. I've worried about strippage. The T1N's don't have locking wheel lugs like every other vehicle on the road these days. Plus there are other potential goodies under the chassis.

My husband's initial suspicion was that this kind of pilfering would not be a big risk for the simple reason that an Interstate is too heavy to lift using common tools of the theft trade. Now I am questioning that conclusion.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #16

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Not related to the OP's troubles but I have twin 30 lb. aluminum tanks on my trailer.
I always remove them and store them inside with the curtains closed when I lock up and leave.
You just never know...
Its not like the tank on the Interstate is in plain sight. You would have to crawl under the vehicle to even know there was one there. Someone had to know about the tank, have a good bit of time to remove it, and either a heavy duty jack or lift to get it out from under the vehicle. The scrap value of the tank would be unlikely to be worth the time, labor, and risk involved to steal it. That would seem to point the finger straight back to the dealer and/or the dealers technicians.

If I were the dealer I would do everything I could to deny it could have happened on my watch.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
I've already recommended filing a police report and an insurance claim over the missing propane tank. Remains to be seen whether the OP will actually do that, but hopefully he will because otherwise the entire cost of fixing the problem will come out of his own pocket.

But there is one other thing I'd recommend, and that's filing a complaint against the dealer with the Better Business Bureau. That's something that should be done any time you get unsatisfactory service with any vendor, especially if they refuse to make amends when you confront them about the problem.

Be very specific in describing your complaint, because the BBB does follow up on complaints received. Include photos if you've got them. And if possible send the complaint by certified mail, return receipt required, so that you get proof that they did receive the complaint. Sending a carbon copy of your complaint letter to the dealer is optional; he'll find out about it soon enough even if you don't send him a copy.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It is an ASME tank. It's a built-in on an Interstate. DoT cylinders are removable. Which makes it stranger that it was stolen, because someone had to get underneath to remove it. The fact that it's an ASME tank also means that it will be more expensive to replace than just buying a new one. It will have to be installed by an RVIA-certified technician. Thus my recommendation that an insurance claim be filed, which will probably require a police report.
I stand corrected again. One thing I'm learning, is to never question a engineer. If this was stolen the person would have ripped it out in a hurry.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Sheesh, even a half-full 18 gallon propane tank must weigh too much to handle upside down under a frickin' Sprinter. Honestly, nobody trying to make an easy buck wants to work that hard. I figure it hadda happen on the service lot. Helluva thing.

I have an "aluminum" powder coated 5-gallon propane bottle on my vintage aluminum trailer -- there, I said it: "bottle" -- held in place with two bolts through the cylinder's bottom collar into a matching collar on the A-frame. I'd hate to lose my powder coated tank, cylinder, bottle, whatever, but I'm not going to lock it up...

(I use a lock on the ball coupler whenever and wherever my trailer's off the truck; I really couldn't bear to lose my trailer.)
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
– Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Side note but may add to this - Our 79 has the 2 tanks on the front and polished. Don't want to pay to replace so since we have had it on the road, I added a steel cable through both tank handles on top, loop like a lasso, then the end padlocked around the frame behind the tanks. It isn't noticeable but sure does give me piece of mind.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote