Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2018, 10:15 AM   #501
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
This example furnished the best laugh we've had in a while (LB_3 was considerably more animated in his reaction off-Forum). A crap frozen pizza for about $3.99 and a $20,000 system to cook it, LOL. At least I legitimately do paying work out of our van. My use supplies a partial justification.

But like I said, if these redditors and IGers and the rest of them weren't spending all their time, money, and energy on van design, then they'd be out drinking hard liquor and robbing banks and chasing tail instead.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #502
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My Interstate Lithium Battery Adventures

Frozen pizza and all that overkill—kinda out of range even for me, the “overkill engineering “ department head.
I caught a lot of flack just for proposing going to power operated WD jacks! [emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #503

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
A crap frozen pizza for about $3.99 and a $20,000 system to cook it,

Military Defense Contractor?
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #504
Rivet Master

Corona , California
My Interstate Lithium Battery Adventures

Giggle!!
Seen even less sensible things than that—just sayin’
Old 07-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #505
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I do perfectly good pizza on my charcoal Volcano grill. Surely somewhere out there is a suitable cooker running on propane I should think.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #506
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Giggle!!
Seen even less sensible things than that—just sayin’
I’m scratching my head trying to figure out whether that was intended as a pun or not. #nerdhumor
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #507
Rivet Master

Corona , California
No pun. Observation from too many years of being involved with the military as both active duty and as a defense contractor.

600 dollar hammers, anyone?
Old 07-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #508
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Military Defense Contractor?
I like that question.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #509
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I got a question about how I configured the battery and how I wired the sense lines on the Electrodacus battery management system. Pictures are worth a thousand words so here’s a pic:

It may be a bit confusing but the positive and negative terminals of the battery are on the right side. The bottom right is the positive (red) terminal. The top 3 cells on the right have a band across them putting them in parallel. When 3 100 AH cells are configured in parallel, they are functionally serving a one larger 300AH cell. The battery is configured from 12 100AH cells with 4 cells in series and each of these cells consists of 3 individual cells in parallel, yielding a 12v 300AH battery.

Banding the individual cells into larger groups ensures that these individual cells are always at the exact same voltage so they only need 2 voltage sense wires instead of 6. One sense wire is measuring the negative terminal of the top right cell which is also the negative terminal of the entire battery. This is the reference voltage for all the other cells and it should be at 0 volts. The other sense wire on the red cell terminals of the top right group is measuring the voltage contributed from the 3 individual cells grouped together (~3.6v).

Since the positive cells on the top right are connected to the negative terminals on the top left group of 3 individual cells, they are at the same voltage (~3.6v) and can share the same sense wire. In all, only 5 wires should be needed to measure the voltages on a 4 cell battery.

But if you look closely, we’re using 6. This is because the electrodacus BMS is designed to also support 24 volt batteries with up to 8 cells (9 sense wires) and when only sensing a 12 volt battery(actually 14.4 volts), it uses cells 1, 2, 7, 8 so the wire shared between cells 2 and 3 (~7.2v)is not the same wire used between cells 6 and 7. Thus the redundant pair of sense wires on the left side of the battery measuring the exact same voltage.

There is a better pic in the BMS manual. I’ll try to post that shortly.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #510
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'd suggest grabbing a tube of RTV and sticking the sense wires down to the top of the batteries. It doesn't take much, you don't need to glue the entire length. A glob by the end and one or two along the length of the wire is plenty.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #511
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I'd suggest grabbing a tube of RTV and sticking the sense wires down to the top of the batteries. It doesn't take much, you don't need to glue the entire length. A glob by the end and one or two along the length of the wire is plenty.

Bob
Thats a good idea. The tops of each cell has a little groove that holds the wires but where I had to cross over the connecting bands I added electrical tape for a bit more friction protection.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #512
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Graphic from the manual:
Old 01-24-2019, 07:33 AM   #513
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
After a long hiatus, I finished the third of my four-part electrical system summary description. Link and reference photo below.

LITHIUM BATTERY UPGRADE, PART 3: CHARGING / INVERTER SYSTEM

EDIT: My tardy completion of this description was inspired by a Sprinter Forum thread titled Can a lithium pack be charged by alternator alone?

Given our recently-failed alternator and the PSA I published in response to it, of course I had comments to make about that topic. There were enough good ideas emerging on that thread that I decided to advance my own summary descriptions for general consideration.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:31 PM   #514
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I do perfectly good pizza on my charcoal Volcano grill. Surely somewhere out there is a suitable cooker running on propane I should think.
Roccbox. Worth every cent.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:59 PM   #515
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Given our recently-failed alternator and the PSA I published in response to it, of course I had comments to make about that topic. There were enough good ideas emerging on that thread that I decided to advance my own summary descriptions for general consideration.
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your alternator IB.

I don't think this is an issue with stock Interstates today. Every stock Interstate comes with charging system that pulls in excess of 100 amps to charge the AGM batteries. The Bosch alternator is rated at 220 amps and actually delivers almost 240 amps. If the clutch were to fail at these currents, we would hear about a ton of such problems from sprinter owners yet we don't.

As with all things mechanical, there are different products with different reliability metrics and ability to handle load. I suspect the 200 amp alternator you used is not as robust as what ships with Sprinter NC3s now.

Personally I have had my alternator charge the Lithium cells multiple times with no sign of any trouble. The load from the Sterling battery to battery charger is just a hair above what I used to measure with AGMs so I think durability is the same.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #516
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I wish there were a way I could determine it conclusively, Amir. Of course we simply could have gotten a $500 lemon alternator. Unfortunately, the way to test out that hypothesis to its logical extent might lead to loss of property and/or life, so I can't do it.

In other words, if I were to replicate the original operating conditions and I DIDN'T get a failure of the new Bosch, then that outcome would support the "lemon alternator" null hypothesis.

If that exercise instead led to another clutch pulley failure, I could also get the van destroyed and/or myself killed in the process of proving the alternate hypothesis.

There are enough anecdotal reports of clutch failures in a wide variety of high-demand operating scenarios that I can't accept "lemon" on its face, though. Failures seem to be endemic to the newer alternator designs, at least outside of a certain poorly-defined operating envelope. And so there we are.

You can bet your booty, though, that I will be posting back here if I discover more lithium users reporting this same failure mode in the future.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:07 AM   #517
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Some clever bugger on Sprinter Forum was largely the inspiration behind the design of this, a circuit that my husband stayed up way too late last night to work on. It never ceases to amaze me how much influence people we've never met and don't even know the names of have on our lives. Much of the time, I don't even know what countries they are located in. It's a true hive mind scenario.

Anyway, I already have a mechanism that can effectively manage alternator charging and which is protective of the clutch pulley. The corresponding circuit is embedded in my prefrontal cortex and the mechanism is attached to my shoulder and there are 5 digits at the distal end of it - WITH an opposable thumb to boot. This existing mechanism of mine affixes organically when needed to a switch on the panel which toggles between "on" and "off".

But that's not good enough for my husband, who decided to kick off his entire week with a too-late night. Once he gets this designed, he can have it commissioned as a build. It better not be the kind of circuit board that can develop tin whiskers, though.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:36 AM   #518
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Post-script on the solar facet of our electrical system --

A T1N Interstate owner contacted me off-forum (via my blog) and emailed me some pics of his rig. We (meaning LB_3) spent a veritable boat-load of money on the 80/20 frame that straps our panels to the existing T1N Interstate roof rack. A boat-load of money!! Ours is not the only viable design, however. If someone doesn't wish to spend a boat-load of money on a custom-fit frame, and alternatively, doesn't have the tools to do metal cutting and welding, there are other design options, such as this one.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:33 PM   #519
2 Rivet Member

Ouray , Colorado
or mine:https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu6siemp1l...65718.jpg?dl=0

IMG]http://https://www.dropbox.com/s/lu6siemp1la03kq/20161112_165718.jpg?dl=0[/IMG]
mineralfarme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:38 AM   #520
2 Rivet Member

Ouray , Colorado
I have 640 amp hours of victron lithium batteries as well as 640 watts of solar on the roof and I've had no trouble with my stock alternator for a year now. I do not use a battery to battery charger, just a victron control system. Works great. If anybody wants to check it out my van is for sale on the Forum :-) we are looking into a Leisure Vans Unity.
mineralfarme is offline   Reply With Quote