Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Music in and out of the interstate

I think I know the answer but just want to make sure. So thanks for listening...

I enjoy easy listening music in the morning but don't want to use the chassis battery.

I'm guessing that the Kenwood in the dash is only powered by the chassis is that correct?

Any suggestions?

I'm not opposed to using an old school battery operated "boom box"

And any cool products out there that could pipe music outside of the Interstate in
an elegant way?

Thanks

Ben (Gamper1)
Glamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

"to" music
Old 11-25-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Actually, I believe that most of the Kenwood head units are powered by the house batteries.

Mine isn't, but that's because when my original Kenwood head unit was stolen, the subcontractor that my Airstream dealer hired to install the replacement unit couldn't get a copy of the wiring diagram from Airstream (I have no idea why they wouldn't send him a copy), and so he wired it like he does with most vehicles, to the chassis battery only. So, when the key is off, so is the stereo, period. It wasn't until the subject cropped up here on the Forums that I realized that mine was wired differently from normal.

As for simple and elegant ways to get the music outside, the obvious thought is bluetooth stereo speakers. Pair the speakers to the Kenwood unit, and you're set, as long as you're in range. And since you have exterior outlets on the passenger-side quarter panel to power the speakers…
Old 11-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Great idea thank you
Old 11-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
We are looking at Bluetooth speakers. DH is an audiophile. Someday we hope to install an outdoor theater set up.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I was going to say, "use headphones; road noise is too loud on the Interstate!" then realized you were talking about your motorhome....Bluetooth is way to go, as was mentioned...we have the Bose speaker unit and like it, but it is a little big and needs to be charged, unless plugged into external AC. Our kids got us the Soundfreq last Christmas and it works great via Bluetooth using cell phone recorded music or Pandora. Rechargeable or AC, but size is nice and quality pretty good for size and weight.
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...esort-and-spa/
The other nice thing about this unit is you can move around, keeping volume low if needed, so neighbors not affected..
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Music in and out of the interstate

The Kenwood unit is normally powered by the coach battery unless you disconnect the coach battery via the Disconnect Switch. Then it is powered by the starter battery. Bluetooth is a great way to go for outside music.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I gave my Bride a Bose Mini. It just flat works, inside, out...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I know most modern car stereo head units will receive Bluetooth signal from another device or phone, but will it transmit a Bluetooth signal to a Bluetooth speaker? I've never seen or heard of that application.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I've become a big fan of those little Bluetooth speakers in camp- your music is right in the middle of the action, and you don't have to blast out your neighbors. I don't really like the whole pairing thing, as it takes a long time, lots of fiddling, and large metal objects can block the signal. I tried to pair my speaker with the head unit in my trailer, and got very bad reception. I put silvered home-style tinting on all my windows, and that turned the trailer into a partial Faraday cage. At least I don't have to wear my foil hat to block the signals from the extraterrestrials anymore! You also have to dash back in to change the music, very inconvenient!

So I put the biggest SD card that would fit into my phone, and loaded it full of music. I can pipe that through the Airstream stereo, or take my phone outside with the Bluetooth speaker. I use a 6" audio cable to get the music to the portable speaker. Doesn't work for getting the Sirius/XM outside, I guess I'll have to get a really long cable for that.

As an aside, if you have a large collection of MP3s, you might try MediaMonkey to organize it. Works great! There's an app for the phone, as well.
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
I use my Bose QuietComfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones, with my IPod. Works great. I get to listen to all the music I want, and not bother anyone. Except my poor husband, the noise canceling really works I can't hear him.
LizabethLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
We used to carry a transistor radio which was iffy at best. Now we stream Sirius or Pandora from the smartphone via Bluetooth to a small speaker. No drain on the house battery and sounds great.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
I bought the Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker after comparing it to some of the larger Jambox's and found it to be a perfect option for us. The sound is less artificial and amazing for the size. It's also great to throw in a backpack to take on longer hikes or trips along the river.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I got a JBL Flip to use with my iPhone via Blue Tooth. It's small but puts out great sound for it's size. It has a nice zipper case that allows sound to escape but affords good protection even on the sand at the beach. Great indoors or out.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:47 AM   #15
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Not a gadget guru, but I did look at a BlueTooth speaker for the same reasons as many expressed. Actually bought one and then w/o a whole lot of extra money wasn't able to easily get a transmitter for my trailer radio. So after experimenting with the wireless speaker using my cell phone I determined that it was too fragile for a campfire environment, YMMV with your choice.

Decided to return the wireless and bought a DeWalt job site radio. Simple, durable, uses mini headphone jack as alt input, built for outdoors use and works with the same DeWalt batteries as your tools. Might not hit all of your gotta have it buttons but it passed its first outing with flying colors.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:05 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I don't generally bother with music at the campground; I much prefer to listen to the sounds of nature, as long as fellow campers don't drown them out with their stereos! However, if I ever get myself a traditional Airstream flamingo for my Airstream Interstate, then I'll go to the Audubon Zoo and record some flamingo sounds to play outdoors!
Old 11-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I listen to music at the campground. I use the Bluetooth stereo in the trailer and leave the door open. Before I had a Bluetooth stereo I used computer speakers with my iPod. It is not a big enough deal to me to buy a Bluetooth speaker. I can make do with what I have.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote