Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2021, 08:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
OAKDALE , California
Multiplex Failure

Hi,
Our 2018 GT has a partial failure of the multiplex system; it will not show the levels of the fresh water, or the levels of the gray or black tank. The rest of the system does seem to be working correctly.
Please advise !
jldejong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldejong View Post
Hi,
Our 2018 GT has a partial failure of the multiplex system; it will not show the levels of the fresh water, or the levels of the gray or black tank. The rest of the system does seem to be working correctly.
Please advise !
There are two small PC boards tucked behind the main touch panel. I believe one of those boards handles the signals for the tank sensors. It is possible that a cable has become unattached or that one of those boards has failed.

I found those boards when I replaced the wood panel the touch panel is mounted on.
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OAKDALE , California
Thanks for your reply! Strangely enough, I went back out to check the fuse box and while I was out there I noticed the red disconnect switch underneath the back jumpseat. I flipped it off and flipped it back on. When I did that I looked back at the panel and it actually fixed the problem. I find this very strange but it’s what happened! So apparently now the panel is revealing the tank levels. Has anybody else had this issue?
Old 09-20-2021, 12:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Not too unusual for a power-off then a power-on to reset something in the brains of an electronic device. I suspect that is what happened.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Computer Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldejong View Post
Thanks for your reply!* Strangely enough, I went back out to check the fuse box and while I was out there I noticed the red disconnect switch underneath the back jumpseat. I flipped it off and flipped it back on. When I did that I looked back at the panel and it actually fixed the problem. I find this very strange but it’s what happened! So apparently now the panel is revealing the tank levels. Has anybody else had this issue?
For all intents & purposes TITUS is correct. Reset it and forget it. Afterall, what else can you do since it's working now? But the reality here is in the electronics & computer tech industry (of which I was employed-in since 1975 and now retired from) my beloved industry has coined a term to explain away a problem that can no longer be replicated after resetting the brains/computer/ECU, etc. The term we use for it is a "computer glitch". It is not surprising that the diagnosis of "computer glitch" has found it's way into the automotive & rv technician's lexicon since we have computers controlling everything now.

In the case of the 2018 AI the "brains" of the multiplex system is the FireFly G7A motherboard under the subwoofer under C/S jack knife bed. BUT the "brains" of the tank monitoring system is still the SEELEVEL RV-C system/display. The FireFly is only displaying what is being fed to it by SEELEVEL. FireFly is merely facilitating a common display location, hence the SEELEVEL can be hidden away.

As PAHASKA said, the SEELEVEL led display is tucked away behind one of the cabinets (in mine, behind the big FireFly color touchscreen). It used to be that the SEELEVEL was 1 part of a bigger system of many different discrete components to monitor or control different devices. The tank level sensors are connected to the SEELEVEL display and it reads out the display to you via the bright red leds. And that was as far as it went way back when. Now the SEELEVEL display has a built-in RV-C (RV-CAN bus) network interface so it communicates with the FireFly G7A using the orange wire bundle you see connected to the side of the SEELEVEL display and terminates amongst the 8 (actually only 7 since 1 is a terminator) that you see on the FireFly G7A motherboard. Those 8 inputs are those that usually require some sort of continuous status data that gets updated in realtime to show levels or temps or voltages or even trigger alarms. The A/C, vent fan and all 3 control panels are also connected to 1 of those inputs. The 2 power shades control modules are also connected there. I have no idea why the power shades modules have to communicate via the RV-C bus - designer choice?

The SEELEVEL RV-C display has plenty of built-in diagnostics. It is used to troubleshoot wiring or tank sender problems. It may have been displaying either SHT (short), OPN (open), ERR (error), or CAL (calibration) just to name a few of the common codes it could have experienced. But by resetting it BEFORE checking what the SEELEVEL display showed, you have lost the valuable info that could have told you what caused the issue. AFAIK based on info I read about the way FireFly handles error codes from SEELEVEL, those error codes may not get formatted properly by the FireFly G7A to a legible display format. Unfortunately, neither of the 2 "brains" keep a history. You will just have to hope it is a "computer glitch" that will not recur. Your chances are 50/50. But if it does recur, do not reset until you SEE what the SEELEVEL is displaying. It may help you proactively address the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180517_114007 1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	404558   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180517_142927 1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	404559  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OAKDALE , California
Alex! Wow. Thanks for the in depth explanation.
I sincerely hope it was a one time glitch. However, I would never assume that it won’t happen again.