Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
More Fusion weirdness.....

I know I reported in another thread to not use the USB port under the "hatch" on the dash to power your devices while the Fusion is on or it will do very strange things. I can now add that you should NEVER plug into that port, even with the Fusion OFF.

So, I was in my "mobile office" and needed to use my phone as a hotspot for my laptop as well as a speaker phone. I set the table up in the front as my desk, so I needed power to my phone because it was going to be consuming a fair bit of juice for a while. I turned the Fusion off via the "press and hold" of the power button, so I figured I was good (Main Disconnect was ON so I could run the Fantastic Fan for some fresh air). Nope. Halfway through a conference call the Fusion decided to turn itself on and start playing music....loudly. The screen wasn't on, it was just blasting tunes. Doh! I quickly reached back and started pressing soft buttons for both power and volume down to shut the thing up, but the damage was done. I blamed it on the dog, like I do for everything else.

Thankfully, this will be fixed in the near future by virtue of the fact that the new Sprinters will come with a much improved infotainment system (so no more Fusion), and based on reviews I've seen will have several USB ports in the dash to power your devices. In the mean time, I suggest you avoid the USB port under the "hatch" like the plague. Garmin/Fusion/Airstream should produce a Tech Bulletin or something telling people to only use that port for maintenance on the Fusion itself, but something tells me they won't bother given the impending EOL of the Fusion on the new Sprinters. With luck, other companies using the Fusion (Winnebago, others???) were smart enough to not include an external USB port so their customers won't be tempted to use it for general purposes and run into similar issues.....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Yeah, we do not use it at all... only for updates...

Which reminds me... need to follow up with them on getting the maps update. Got an email last month from them and have not heard back.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Western , Tennessee
Fusion install info. Not sure where to add this, or this may have been posted before. While going thru my owners manuals, included was the install brochure for the fusion. It references the infamous "red and yellow" wires.

First pic is the brochure title. Second pic is the primary wiring harness referenced in the spreadsheet. Pic 3 is wire diagram labels (spreadsheet).

Just an FYI for the group.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fusion 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	311136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fusion 2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	311137  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fusion 3.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	311139  
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
I can now add that you should NEVER plug into that port, even with the Fusion OFF.
So funny (not meaning to diminish the impact to you during a business call). This too has happened to me. I used to have an "avoid this USB" post-it note on it. But now, I find plugging in those usb-to-mini adapters serve same reminder to avoid it like the plague
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:03 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gallatin Gateway , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
So funny (not meaning to diminish the impact to you during a business call). This too has happened to me. I used to have an "avoid this USB" post-it note on it. But now, I find plugging in those usb-to-mini adapters serve same reminder to avoid it like the plague
Today is the first I've seen this thread. As such, I wasn't aware this USB port was problematic. I've been using it to keep my iPhone charged while driving and it's never created a problem for me. Of course, I haven't been on business conference calls either but regardless, the radio has operated normally during the time that the iPhone was plugged in. Maybe not all Fusion units have this problem. (By the way, I DID update the firmware to the latest version - maybe that fixed the problem?)
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob323 View Post
Today is the first I've seen this thread. As such, I wasn't aware this USB port was problematic. I've been using it to keep my iPhone charged while driving and it's never created a problem for me. Of course, I haven't been on business conference calls either but regardless, the radio has operated normally during the time that the iPhone was plugged in. Maybe not all Fusion units have this problem. (By the way, I DID update the firmware to the latest version - maybe that fixed the problem?)
Give it time Bob. It's just lulling you into a false sense of security and at the most inopportune time it's going to STRIKE!

In all seriousness, I've never been on a long(ish) trip with mine where it hasn't acted up, and I was able to resolve it by unplugging my iPhone. Maybe yours will never misbehave, but given that others have experienced the exact same symptoms as I have, regardless of FW version, my guess is yours will too, eventually.

FWIW, my solution is to plug a dual USB/cigarette lighter adapter (with 2 x 2A USB ports) into the 20A socket in the lower part of the dash and use that as my USB power going forward.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
FWIW, my solution is to plug a dual USB/cigarette lighter adapter (with 2 x 2A USB ports) into the 20A socket in the lower part of the dash and use that as my USB power going forward.
+1 from another Silicon Valley techie. I found one of those that has a 3A port for fast charge from Fry's Electronics. Make sure it uses QualComm 3.0 Quick Charge technology (not 2.0). A low tech solution to a 1st World Problem

Link Depot 2 Port / 5.4A USB Quick Charge Car Charger - Black
QualComm 3.0 Quick Charge technology
1 port 3.0A
1 port 2.4 A

Name:   8959433.01.prod.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  21.2 KB
Old 05-18-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
+1 from another Silicon Valley techie. I found one of those that has a 3A port for fast charge from Fry's Electronics. Make sure it uses QualComm 3.0 Quick Charge technology (not 2.0). A low tech solution to a 1st World Problem

Link Depot 2 Port / 5.4A USB Quick Charge Car Charger - Black
QualComm 3.0 Quick Charge technology
1 port 3.0A
1 port 2.4 A
Nice find Alex.

I see Amazon is going to get some more of my money.....
Old 05-18-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Nice find Alex.

I see Amazon is going to get some more of my money.....
Oops....no, Amazon won't be getting more of my money. I did some checking and QC 3.0 only works with iPhones via USB-C, so I'd have to buy a new phone cradle that has a Lightening -> USB-C cable (or some other way to convert Lightening to USB-C), because Apple only supports QC 3.0 via a USB-C connection. Nice going Apple.....

Guess I'll be sticking with my dual 2.4A adapter. At least it's compatible with everything we own.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Oops....no, Amazon won't be getting more of my money. I did some checking and QC 3.0 only works with iPhones via USB-C, so I'd have to buy a new phone cradle that has a Lightening -> USB-C cable (or some other way to convert Lightening to USB-C), because Apple only supports QC 3.0 via a USB-C connection. Nice going Apple.....

Guess I'll be sticking with my dual 2.4A adapter. At least it's compatible with everything we own.
All mine are Androids,. But daughter will not be happy to hear this. Uugh
Old 05-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
All mine are Androids,. But daughter will not be happy to hear this. Uugh
The adapter you linked has one QC port and one 2.4A port. Can't you use the QC port and she use the 2.4A port? Should work just fine.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Quick question/hijack of your thread. I've lent out my 2015 AI Ext. Lounge at the moment and the driver asked if the Fusion unit is Sirius XM compatible. From what I saw on-line I might have to buy an additional receiver to add Sirius capability. Anyone know if it's easy to set-up on this radio?
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoungca View Post
Quick question/hijack of your thread. I've lent out my 2015 AI Ext. Lounge at the moment and the driver asked if the Fusion unit is Sirius XM compatible. From what I saw on-line I might have to buy an additional receiver to add Sirius capability. Anyone know if it's easy to set-up on this radio?
Your '15 has a Kenwood unit, which I don't know anything about, sorry.

As for the '17's with the Fusion, yes, it has Sirius XM built in.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:45 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
Thanks, I looked at a pdf of the manual and confirmed it: Kenwood Excelon. Hoping someone knows the status of Sirius XM for that unit.
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
My prior AI was a 2014.5 model with the Kenwood, and i had a Sirius subscription.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote