Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
My 2014.5 is really part 2015 on a 2014 chassis. One of the things that disappeared was the panel for the coffee maker outlet. However, I do have a 120v wire in the area that, I think, was the coffee maker wire since I can't find anything it feeds. The wire can be seen in one of the photos in the first post.

It may go nowhere and simply be taped off at the end. I'll try to pull it out, but it may be trapped. I'll investigate the wiring schematics and if that is what it is, I'll use it for my new microwave. I may have to cut it off if it is trapped

Ok - I now see that yellow wire in your first photos. Looks like they eliminated the panel but left the wiring.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Except it was nearly spot-on when tested against a 100w incandescent bulb and a 1600w hair dryer. I think the are other significant draws involved in a microwave oven.
Reason I asked is that I don't know how the manufacturers come up with these numbers, or if anyone verifies them in actual use scenarios.

My large Dell mobile workstation (17-inches with a fancy screen and a lot of power-hungry guts) has 240 watts stamped on its "brick" (the power adapter that inserts between the computer and the wall socket). We sized our lithium / inverter system partly around this representation of the power that it was supposedly going to require. As it turned out, it doesn't want anywhere near that amount - and whether its internal battery is full or depleted (i.e., charging while operating or not) doesn't seem to make much difference (I can't provide a firm figure of what it DOES draw because our Interstate is in storage right now).

This is good news, but at the same time, it's a head-scratcher. Where did 240 watts come from? Maybe I'm not understanding correctly.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Interblog,

As you may know, the brick is nothing more than an AC/DC converter. The Watt rating of the brick is the maximum wattage output of the device. It is a "one size fits all" scenario. Computer manufacturers size these bricks to support many of their computers. The computer will draw varying amounts of power depending on how hard it is working. Measure the amperage draw when you are just browsing the web and again when playing a high speed, high resolution video game. There is quite a difference.

Pat
pdavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #24
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Ok - I now see that yellow wire in your first photos. Looks like they eliminated the panel but left the wiring.
It took a lot of pulling and prying, but out of the wall came an outlet. It is a one-plug outlet like the one for the original microwave. It was trapped in one of the voids behind the cabinet. That solves the power problem.

I fitted the new microwave, and I had to remove some more of the metal at the rear of the cabinet. I went ahead and removed the strip of metal at the bottom that I had originally intended to leave in place. This allowed me to remove a piece of wood and allow the microwave to slide back another 3/4".

The microwave will be mounted higher in the cabinet. I need the trim that comes today to determine how high. I may start with a 2x4 and run it through the planer as needed to get the right thickness. I have plenty of matching laminate to trim around the MW.

I made a cup of coffee in the new microwave, so I know it works. It is a bit slower to heat than the big one, but I expected that.

I also found that true to typical Airstream design, the vents on the left side of the MW are hard up against a wall in the 19'. See the photo on my original post. The specs call for 3" clearance on that side. I'll compromise by adding about 1 1/2" clearance on that side and also routing out 1/2" in the 3/4" thick partition. There is an intake vent in the rear of the MW, so I will seal off the glass insulation to prevent it from blocking the vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MW outlet.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	326786   Click image for larger version

Name:	MW test fit.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	326787  

Name:	Cabinet void.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	326788  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:16 AM   #25
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
JOHN - Looking nice already even without the trim. Too bad you can't push in further so you can use original curved door to hide it in when not in use That lower cabinet void would be perfect spot for our Igloo ice maker . . . Hmmmm, something to think about, since we use the ice maker more than the microwave. Need to talk to wifey what she prefers
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 07:19 AM   #26
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
That lower cabinet void would be perfect spot for our Igloo ice maker .
My lower cabinet will have a 3-sided box of 1/2" plywood. The top 3rd will be a roll-out drawer and the bottom 2/3 will be general storage. The front will be a drop-down door, limited to 90 degree drop. I already ordered the needed parts from Rockler.com. The box will be screwed into the face frame and be easily removable to access everything behind it.

I had matching paint to the edge trim mixed when I did the twin bed mod. I'll use that on the cabinet interior rather than laminating it. I'll paint the door front since we have a rally coming up shortly. I'll laminate the door later when the laminate I ordered arrives.

The trim has straps that lay on the top and sides of the MW and attach at the rear. That positions the trim on the MW and limits just how far I can embed the MW. I won't know till I try it, but it will take some wood framing at the front like on the 19'. I have plenty of matching laminate pieces to do whatever is needed.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-02-2018, 07:33 AM   #27
van guru

1994 28' Excella
Hood River , Oregon
Nice upgrade. Are you going to cover the fiberglass insulation? I presume there is air flowing behind the new microwave which could dislodge the fibers (vibration can too) and blow them around. Not a huge concern but not a bad idea to at least cover it.

All the best,
Hein
Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:05 AM   #28
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein View Post
Nice upgrade. Are you going to cover the fiberglass insulation? I presume there is air flowing behind the new microwave which could dislodge the fibers (vibration can too) and blow them around. Not a huge concern but not a bad idea to at least cover it.
All the best,
Hein
The insulation will be covered as I mentioned in a prior post. I don't want it drawn into the intake on the rear of the MW.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
The wires and outlet were just inside the panel covering the opening. The panel was removable, held in by a few screws. Attached photos show what I did to add an outlet in this area.
MIKE - hmmm . . . wonder if mine also still has the wires in there. I do have the box and cover panel. I did open it up awhile back when relocated the bath round mirror inside that overhead and screwed into that panel. Saw a few wires but at that time was not searching
for specific wires. Maybe too much wishful thinking.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #30
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MIKE - hmmm . . . wonder if mine also still has the wires in there. I do have the box and cover panel.
I think that after about 2014.5, that circuit may have gone away. That's when the inverter and such were relocated to under the RS jump seat. That required a major rerouting of wires and would have been a prime opportunity to drop the coffee maker circuit. The power shades were another change to the wiring.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #31

Quote:
I think that after about 2014.5, that circuit may have gone away. That's when the inverter and such were relocated to under the RS jump seat. That required a major rerouting of wires and would have been a prime opportunity to drop the coffee maker circuit. The power shades were another change to the wiring.
JOHN - t'was nice dreamin' until you woke me up But since I still have the exact box enclosure there, it may be possible to fish wires down to galley and across to electrical compartment (in case I need to pursue something similar in future). Don't mind me, just daydreaming again. I got other furniture projects ahead of this to keep me busy awhile in between trips
Old 11-02-2018, 04:47 PM   #32
Contributing Member

Micro is installed

Brought the AI home today and installed the micro. I had to block it up some to make the trim come out right. I ran some short pieces of 2x4 through the thickness planer to get just the right lift.

The top of the trim is even with the wood at the top of the cabinet, while the bottom of the trim sits against the vertical part of the aluminum at the bottom. I put in some heavy wood blocks to screw into to make sure the MW doesn't move.

I still have the left end of the cabinet to trim out. I left plenty of clearance for the vents on the left end of the micro to meet the 3" spec.

Worst part of the morning was installing the trim on the MW. Straps go around the micro and fasten to screws on the back (or are supposed to). The 4 screws were some sort of hex heads with a very shallow indentation. Obviously, they were not supposed to be removable. I have piles of hex wrenches, and I tried every one with no success. I finally got one out with a small Torq, but the others would not even budge. I finally drilled next to the screws and used small metal screws to attach the straps. This was about an hour wasted trying to get those screws out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181102_172439.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	326881  
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #33
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
That came out great John!

So the remaining space, are you planning a small curved door to cover it?

I wonder if I use the same microwave you got but inthe stock location, if that would give me the clearance needed to install the deep sink....hummm
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 05:57 PM   #34
Contributing Member

I'm going to try a cut down curved door. I might put the knob at the far left and just use the one hinge. That way, there would be negligible twisting moment when the knob is used to raise the door. If that doesn't work, I can mount the hinge I removed at the right end. I have plenty of door to play with.

When I was at Alumapalooza, they had a curved door with the right laminate at their garage sale for $20. I bought one, not knowing what I would do with it. I have that one, too.

wachuco ... Good idea on the smaller micro to install a deeper sink. That is something I could do now.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-03-2018, 06:07 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavitt View Post
.... It is a "one size fits all" scenario. Computer manufacturers size these bricks to support many of their computers. The computer will draw varying amounts of power depending on how hard it is working. Measure the amperage draw when you are just browsing the web and again when playing a high speed, high resolution video game. There is quite a difference....
In ordinary circumstances, yes. But I've got a Precision series Dell, a type which almost doesn't exist in e-nature. They represent such a small market segment that we could neither purchase nor fabricate any kind of DC to DC power supply / adapter for the thing (we looked into it). So, in THIS case, I have a feeling that the brick was purpose-built, or close to it. It doesn't go with any other workstation configuration.

BUT, that being said, do I crank videos or games on this box? Heck, no. I just do (gasp!) REAL WORK on it (surfing, email, word processing, Excel, PPT, Acrobat payware, regulatory software, etc.). Maybe that's causing the discrepancy I'm seeing.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:48 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Quote:
I went through Radar school at Keesler in late 1951-early 1952. Those were the days of photographic flashbulbs. We had a magazine photographer come to photograph for an article. He climbed up a ladder in the hanger to get a better angle when all of his flashbulbs exploded as he hit the beam from one of those rocking-horse type Radars.

Lots of energy in a microwave beam.

My brother went through Keesler in the mid 60’s. That story was still being told....he told me about it in a letter home. Interesting.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:11 AM   #37
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
When I had my 700W microwave pulled out, I plugged it into a Kil-A-Watt and ran it on a house ac outlet. I don't recall the exact number, but it drew well over 1150 watts. I think nearly 1400.

Tested another 700W microwave, thinking there was something wrong. Nope, it drew the same amount of power.
Hi

Microwaves when rated for "power" are talking about the amount of RF energy they deliver to the "stuff" inside the chamber. None of them are 100% efficient at converting AC power in to RF power. 50% efficiency would be a bit poor in this case. Anything over 70% is doing pretty well. Getting up around 80 or 90% is going to cost you a *lot* of money ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:01 AM   #38
Contributing Member

The current built-in microwave in our kitchen was purchased at Fry's. It is an inverter microwave that replaced the failed original the builder put in. It is about 1/3 of the weight of the conventional microwave I took out.

I wish someone would release an inverter microwave for RV use. Instead of the 26# that the one I installed weighs, it would have probably weighed half of that. It would be worth a few $$$ to have the lighter weight.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #39
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
The current built-in microwave in our kitchen was purchased at Fry's. It is an inverter microwave that replaced the failed original the builder put in. It is about 1/3 of the weight of the conventional microwave I took out.

I wish someone would release an inverter microwave for RV use. Instead of the 26# that the one I installed weighs, it would have probably weighed half of that. It would be worth a few $$$ to have the lighter weight.
Hi

Would it be worth $4,000 to buy one? RV microwaves are a *very* small market. Volume matters on appliances ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavitt View Post
Interblog,
As you may know, the brick is nothing more than an AC/DC converter. The Watt rating of the brick is the maximum wattage output of the device. It is a "one size fits all" scenario. Computer manufacturers size these bricks to support many of their computers. The computer will draw varying amounts of power depending on how hard it is working. Measure the amperage draw when you are just browsing the web and again when playing a high speed, high resolution video game. There is quite a difference.
Pat
PAT - 100% correct here. Hi PAT, nice to hear back from ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
As it turned out, it doesn't want anywhere near that amount - and whether its internal battery is full or depleted (i.e., charging while operating or not) doesn't seem to make much difference (I can't provide a firm figure of what it DOES draw because our Interstate is in storage right now).
INTERBLOG - It makes a difference, depends on what it is running. I spent 2 yrs. in R&D and helped in prototype support work for HP's Precision Architecture 64-bit technology in the '80s. Here is some of what we did to pull out max current, power, & temps - crank up a "benchmark test" that is capable of bogging down all the multiple processors including it's built in graphics card, at the same time purposely throttle down the input A/C voltage, run the screen at max brightness, contrast, & saturation, crank up the stereo audio to max volume, enable all hw & sw antennas & tethering sw (gps, bluetooth, nfs), enable cam in constant auto-focus mode with a constant moving subject, plug a device in every available usb, rca, 3.5mm, hdmi ports, have a constant signal transmitting to rf & infrared sensors, connect modem to a constant busy signal in re-dial mode (and I forgot a few dozen more we did). You get the point - the rating on your brick is worse case scenario (+at least 20%) that protects primarily the manufacturer from a meltdown. But it is also a protection for consumer that no matter how/what they run, their laptop & power system will not meltdown. That is GOOD for everyone to be conservative on power ratings. Heard of any laptops or tablets or cell phones melt or explode lately? Most likely due to not having enough headroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
In ordinary circumstances, yes. But I've got a Precision series Dell, a type which almost doesn't exist in e-nature. They represent such a small market segment that we could neither purchase nor fabricate any kind of DC to DC power supply / adapter for the thing (we looked into it). So, in THIS case, I have a feeling that the brick was purpose-built, or close to it. It doesn't go with any other workstation configuration.

BUT, that being said, do I crank videos or games on this box? Heck, no. I just do (gasp!) REAL WORK on it (surfing, email, word processing, Excel, PPT, Acrobat payware, regulatory software, etc.). Maybe that's causing the discrepancy I'm seeing.
INTERBLOG - Sorry, your brick is not a purpose-built unit just for that series of Dell. No computer manufacturer does, trust me on this. During my last 10yrs. at HP, they allowed me to work from home in LV. Being far away from Palo Alto, I had to be self sufficient. So I had redundant pieces of hw & sw in my home office. I was one of ONLY 2 engineers that had this capacity/ability in the entire West Coast of the USA. As part of that arrangement, I had a 'doomsday laptop' that could run any/all apps that I was using on my desktop pc. This was a 'true' purpose built unit just for us 2 engineers. No one could buy these units, it was not publicized. If you were the CEO of HP, you can't have one. It required certain knowledge & circumventing of safety protocols to use. You had to sign a waiver to use it. BUT what type of brick power supply did it use? A standard of the shelf unit obtained, not even from our computer division, but from a more robust one from our laser printer division. Point of the long post is, HP never did it, Dell is even worse, IBM is no different (sorry I am showing my HP bias ). We all use power supply bricks from the spare parts bin, some of them from very old technology. In fact, the very nature of a physical external brick rather than a built-in internal power supply in unit, is the very big tip-off that it was not purpose built.

BTW - Your "real work" (and my "real work" or anyone else's for that matter) is in almost every situation not enough to stress your computer to absolute max power draw. So, yes, that's why the discrepancy. Your laptop is essentially just sitting in idle when doing most of our typical corporate work. Ironically, child's play and/or HD graphics intensive gaming is what can draw much, much more. Remember War Games WOPR " shall we play a game?"

Such a long dissertation - nothing to do with this thread? Well, it does. Going back to ROWIEBOWIE question of why the Kilowatt meter discrepancy - there are inherent power supply ineffiencies involved. OUTPUT power is ALWAYS LESS than INPUT power. There will always be a drop in the transmission lines and/or conversion technology. Byproduct is much excess heat, in the ROWIEBOWIE example of 50% efficiency, almost 700w of heat. Thus the need for PAHASKA venting for such a small microwave. Ironic at times is the smaller units require same or more venting because they are less efficient and generate wasted heat. The time we reach 100% efficiency is the holy grail. If we go over 100%, then Mission Impossible prophecy was not so sci-fi after all.

WHEW, finally tied it back to the subject matter of original thread Didn't want JOHN thinking we are hijacking his thread.