Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Unhappy Microwave browning oven

Brand new Interstate Tommy Bahama and I'm a little confused by the microwave. I thought it would be a convection oven as well but in looking at it and the user manual, it seems not to be. Instead it is called a microwave / browning oven. How exactly does one use that? If you use the combo microwave/browning setting, does that sort of work like a convection oven?
Also, I notice there is no turntable. Most of the microwaves I've seen lately have a turntable.

I'd certainly appreciate any feedback from people who have used these ovens successfully.

Thanks.

Richard
whitegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
That's the first I've ever heard of one. What brand is this thing? I am assuming that it came in your Airstream from the factory as you say it was in your brand new unit. I would also like to learn more.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:36 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
oven

Contoure rv-1000s-brw. The user guide is useless as is most of the other documentation that comes with the van.

Richard.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegs View Post
Contoure rv-1000s-brw.
They seem to fly under the Google radar. Not even a web site. But they are sold through several RV suppliers. I couldn't find any "1000s-brw" model reference.

I did see this quote:
Quote:
Providing all the convenience of a microwave, the innovative, black unit also offers enhanced browning, baking and crisping. Emitting radiant heat, it gives food that hot-off-the-grill taste. Users can reduce cooking time even more by adding convection heat in combination with microwave energy.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
They seem to fly under the Google radar. Not even a web site. But they are sold through several RV suppliers. I couldn't find any "1000s-brw" model reference.

I did see this quote:
Quote:
Providing all the convenience of a microwave, the innovative, black unit also offers enhanced browning, baking and crisping. Emitting radiant heat, it gives food that hot-off-the-grill taste. Users can reduce cooking time even more by adding convection heat in combination with microwave energy.
I'm not sure what that quote means since the control panel does not mention convection mode. They are probably talking about a different model but who can tell? As you say, I can't find anything on the web and the user manual is useless.

Richard
Old 06-25-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI a link to some manuals from the same mfg.:

http://d7258305.u68.sonicinet.com/pr...ve%20Ovens.pdf

. . . which takes a long time to load, without ever finishing from what I can see.

See also:

http://rvlife.com/contoure-microwave-with-grill/
http://www.floridaexportdirectory.co...mpanyId=971398

The website listed on the last link leads to a "ww17" URL which is basically an empty placeholder IMO.

Richard, does your dealer have any helpful information maybe?

Good luck!

Peter

Ps -- Amazon lists one MW from the same mfg.:

https://www.amazon.com/Built-Microwa...oure+microwave
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Convection oven = it blows hot air around inside the oven chamber to equalize the heat.

Browning oven = it uses radiant heat to heat up the surface of the item.

The best example of a browning oven is the toaster oven on your kitchen counter. It's great for making toast (where you want to crisp the outside). It's not quite as good for cooking stew (where you want to heat everything up uniformly). Things like bacon fall somewhere in-between and are a "try it and see" sort of thing. I happen to like "browning oven" bacon better than straight microwave oven bacon. Others disagree with my choice

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
microwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Convection oven = it blows hot air around inside the oven chamber to equalize the heat.

Browning oven = it uses radiant heat to heat up the surface of the item.

The best example of a browning oven is the toaster oven on your kitchen counter. It's great for making toast (where you want to crisp the outside). It's not quite as good for cooking stew (where you want to heat everything up uniformly). Things like bacon fall somewhere in-between and are a "try it and see" sort of thing. I happen to like "browning oven" bacon better than straight microwave oven bacon. Others disagree with my choice

Bob
Yes, I understand that. Just wondering how to use the microwave like a toaster oven. My toaster oven (Cuisinart) at home also has a convection setting. Not so on this microwave. And what is weird, the model doesn't come up on a Google search.

Richard
Old 06-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
And what is weird, the model doesn't come up on a Google search.
Yes. And the one manual I did find in PDF loaded sideways, so all the text was at 90 degrees.
Talk about a company who doesn't want to be found. Are they a CIA front?
Even Conture.com is not a link to their products.

Maybe the AS's CEO has a nephew who makes them in his basement.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Yes. And the one manual I did find in PDF loaded sideways, so all the text was at 90 degrees.
Talk about a company who doesn't want to be found. Are they a CIA front?
Even Conture.com is not a link to their products.

Maybe the AS's CEO has a nephew who makes them in his basement.
They appear to have given up the www.contoure.com web address and it looks like they don't do much with their web presence.

Here is their current web address:
http://d7258305.u68.sonicinet.com/

They look like a behind the scene wholesaler that has products made in China and other places then distributed from their Florida warehouse.

From their home page:
"Contoure® represents many quality manufacturers on the OEM / Wholesale level, including: Black & Decker, Broan, Contoure®, CookMate™, Frigidaire, General Electric, HeatMate™, LG Electronics / Goldstar, KitchenAid, Malber, Panasonic, Samsung, Sharp, Zenith.

If you don't see an OEM / Wholesale product of interest on our web site, we may still carry it. Simply call us to inquire at 888-551-1041.
Intercon Marketing is the exclusive U.S. sales agent for Contoure® compact appliances including built-in coffeemakers, 2 burner electric stoves, microwave ovens, convection microwave ovens, dish washers and more."

No mention of the Contoure rv-1000s-brw on their web site.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok so here's the deal:

Electrolux has been gobbling up pretty much every appliance company in the world for the last several decades. A long while back they gobbled up Tappan. For what ever reason, they now market the Tappan microwaves to the RV industry through a shell company in Florida known as Contoure. Why they do it this way ... I have absolutely no idea.

To find the operating manual, figure out which Tappan you have and download its manual. Since it's all one big Electrolux empire, you might also find the microwave with a Frigidare or other brand name on the face plate.

Totally useless information other than the "who's who":

http://d7258305.u68.sonicinet.com/pr...ens%20120v.pdf

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:30 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Anywhere USA , USA
There are only about 6 microwave oven manufacturers in the world right now and Electrolux, Whirlpool and GE are all not one of them. They all buy microwaves from Asia and slap their name on them. Electrolux likely sold their Tappan name to this Contoure company to gain extra licensing revenue.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
The microwave used in the previous couple of years was a Sharp drawer microwave with no convection or other means to brown food. I should imagine there's little or no choice for a convection drawer microwave. Hence this product.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Contoure rv-1000s-brw. The user guide is useless as is most of the other documentation that comes with the van.

Richard.
Could not find anything on this Contoure model. It looks like a clone between the Sharp and Bosch microwave drawers. They are expensive so that's likely why Airtsream sought something cheaper with more features. I did locate a good photo of the new Contoure microwave drawer - attached.

The panel has a Browner/Grill control so I looked for a browning microwave with those functions. Found a low end GE unit that likely works the same way as the Contoure. Here is link to manual if you want to give it a read and see if your oven work the same way.
http://products.geappliances.com/Mar...e=49-40497.pdf

BTW - I'm interested in this model as I'd like to upgrade my microwave to a drawer model. This one has all the features I want.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ContoureMicrowave.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	288306  
Old 06-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I looked a little more and found their current RV product web site:
http://www.contoureusa.com/

Still not a lot there but you can contact them and perhaps get some help.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Midwest city , Oklahoma
Just purchased new 2017 AI Grand...I have the same questions on the microwave/browning oven...interesting that you can use the microwave/browning feature together with different power settings..wish the manual provided more info on this unit. If anyone has used the unit, would appreciate your comments.

Tom
Tstidstfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Midwest city , Oklahoma
Mike,

I am newbie...and thought I understood the various tanks...however, I have a question...I am assuming the black tank is filled after use from the freshwater when flushing, etc????
Tstidstfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstidstfm View Post
Mike,

I am newbie...and thought I understood the various tanks...however, I have a question...I am assuming the black tank is filled after use from the freshwater when flushing, etc????
Black tank is only used when you flush the toilet. Nothing else.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Hephzibah , Georgia
Thumbs up

Attached is the PDF file I found for the CONTOUR Microwave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CONTOURE-MICROWAVE-MANUAL.pdf (3.78 MB, 222 views)
MISGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:16 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Hephzibah , Georgia
Please check my response @ 5:43 13 Nov 17 below. Attached is the Microwave PDF you are asking for.
MISGM is offline   Reply With Quote