Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2023, 05:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherman Oaks , California
Mercedes Doesn’t Know?!?

We are hearing an audible alarm every time we press the brakes. There is a light on the dashboard that lights up in the center and then spreads left and right, at the same time. Does anyone know what the alarm goes to? Local MB Sprinter service doesn’t. They want $1900 to take front bumper off to investigate further.

2014.5 Interstate

Thank you for the help,
Rhonda
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 11:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Ha! They should pay you $1,900 for the opportunity to learn what they should know.
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Conservatively, over the past 8 years, my husband and I have done maintenance, repairs, and upfitting work on our Interstate that probably would have cost us $30,000 in labor alone if we had instead hired it out.

Every Interstate owner should consider becoming a DIYer, or if that is not a personal preference, then find an independent mechanic if the vehicle is out of warranty. They will be cheaper than MB.

And of course use the forums to help troubleshoot. This sounds like it is probably a Sprinter issue, so Sprinter Forum may bear more fruit than Air Forums.

Do your research first, though, because Sprinter Forum is more of a tech-oriented rather than a social forum, and therefore it is home to a lot of users who become prickly when faced with questions that they consider to be lazy or un-researched.
InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:54 AM   #4
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Rhonda, is it the brake pad wear warning light you are describing? (It can be red or amber and some have a "!" in the middle)
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2023, 08:22 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePlaces View Post
We are hearing an audible alarm every time we press the brakes. There is a light on the dashboard that lights up in the center and then spreads left and right, at the same time. Does anyone know what the alarm goes to? Local MB Sprinter service doesn’t. They want $1900 to take front bumper off to investigate further.

2014.5 Interstate

Thank you for the help,
Rhonda

They don't 'know'? Taking the bumper off may indicate they suspect a faulty air bag sensor but again the warning light for that is pretty obvious.
Maybe it's time for another dealer.
Spend some time in the manual...it should be covered there.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 01-23-2023, 09:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Rhonda - just saw your post with photo on the Sprinter forum. I'll add my same answer here for benefit of other Airstream Interstate owners.

"Those lights and the alarm are from the PARKTRONIC proximity warning system. They should not be coming on when you use the brakes unless you are stopping very close to the vehicle in front of you. The system is active below about 10 mph. I occasionally get the warning on my Airstream Interstate in heavy traffic if someone gets too close to me."
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhThePlaces View Post

2014.5 Interstate

Thank you for the help,
Rhonda
Your local MB Sprinter shop knows you are getting those PARKTRONIC warnings. But they don’t have to remove the front bumper to check the sensors. You also have sensors in rear bumper and the outside mirrors. Try to find another Sprinter shop that can give you better help. My system gave me erroneous warnings a few years ago and it only costed a few $100. They used a test scanner device to check the system and determined what part needed replacement.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote