Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2018, 08:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
MB spare tire storage bin

MB spare tire storage bin
Extra room for seldom used stuff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180930_192709.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	339.7 KB
ID:	324117   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180930_192740.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	324118  

Name:	20180930_192818.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	324119   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180930_192842.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	324120  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Interesting use of the space. Trying to figure out what I use, or hope to use, so seldom that I'd store it there. Maybe the spare intercooler hoses that I bought as a result of tincampers recent experience. They would not be harmed by a little dirt and they take up a lot of space in the rear overhead. Though come to think of it I could probably wrap them in plastic and store them there without even using the round plastic tub. I wouldn't want to risk exposing my $150 spare fuel filter to the elements. I use my power cord too often to drop the spare each time I want it. Also looks like a person would have to cut a large hole in the hub of the plastic tub to thread the tire hanger through it. (Or maybe your tire hanger is different?)
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
It is interesting use of space, but only works on later model Interstates that have VB Air-suspensions as they use the OEM spare tire carrier. Those Interstates also don't have the built-in storage box found on most Interstates.

I don't think this could easily be adapted to use on Interstates that have the cable winch spare tire system.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
LOL, we transport items in our spare tire with no container needed!!

Unless the items are very small and could fall through the rim openings, you can just pop them into a trash bag and toss them in there, maybe throw a bungee cord over the package so that it won't bounce out.

On this past trip, we carried various grades of motor oil both for the Sprinter and our chain saw, probably 3 or 4 quarts of oil, as well as LB_3's wilderness boots, or maybe they are called lineman's boots, big tall suckers that don't want to fit in many other places.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Interblog
Thanks for the clarification. I was not aware of a change to the spare tire carrier. It does seem to make more sense if there is not a cable to deal with.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
My AI has VB Air Suspension works well with spare tire storage bin. It now contains tools & parts related to flat tire repair. Power cables in pic just for testing. It is also standard equipment in my MB S500 sedan. MB puts all repair tools in there too from factory.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180719_123102-1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	324221  
Old 10-01-2018, 05:59 PM   #7
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Very cool gadget. That would make it better protected than just using a plastic bag as the bag could break with vibration against metal of the rim.

But it would have to be to hold the parts needed to change a tire or stuff seldom use that would be better left at home otherwise. Still inside a plastic bag to protect from the elements.

Link? Price? Or just something directly from Mercedes? The search is on. Anything I can move from inside is a small win. I am thinking wood block, plug tool kit, as many of the spare parts that would fit in there, etc.

Thank you Alex.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Very cool gadget. That would make it better protected than just using a plastic bag as the bag could break with vibration against metal of the rim.

But it would have to be to hold the parts needed to change a tire or stuff seldom use that would be better left at home otherwise. Still inside a plastic bag to protect from the elements.

Link? Price? Or just something directly from Mercedes? The search is on. Anything I can move from inside is a small win. I am thinking wood block, plug tool kit, as many of the spare parts that would fit in there, etc.

Thank you Alex.
WACHUKO - I have no link. Mercedes Benz p/n pic below. Part of S-class spare tire and has circular cover that goes on top. I did not want to buy top cover coz have to buy the expensive tools along with it. You could easily make your own 16" round cover made of plastic, wood, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181001_175653.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	324232  
Old 10-02-2018, 05:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Very cool gadget. That would make it better protected than just using a plastic bag as the bag could break with vibration against metal of the rim. ...
Does that device have a drain hole in it? We use bags in part because there WILL be spray accumulation in the area, and it needs a place to go. I wouldn't want a solid container.

Quarts of oil and boots don't mind if the bag breaks and they get wet. Kayak paddles and seats feel similarly (I store them on the shelf we installed next to the spare tire, the one that fit into the empty battery well). I wouldn't put anything valuable in that area.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Could somebody sent a picture of the current tire carrier without tire, and how the 'hook' side attaches to the frame when in the 'up' position. I can see part of the hinge side of it in post #6. Wondering if I could modify my current cable arrangement to the new approach.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #11

Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Does that device have a drain hole in it? We use bags in part because there WILL be spray accumulation in the area, and it needs a place to go. I wouldn't want a solid container.
I have the same question.

Having a hard time finding one... that is not the correct part number... and does not seem like I have the correct name for it since I can't get hits on google
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #12

Orlando , Florida
Okay... got the right part number for the one Alex used - it is Part No. 140 890 00 07

Ordered one from eBay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Part number.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	324267  
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Okay... got the right part number for the one Alex used - it is Part No. 140 890 00 07

Ordered one from eBay.
WACHUKO - Glad you found correct p/n
I thought it was the white label on top.

INTERBLOG - no drain hole. Can easy drill through hollow stem/pole or bucket body.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181002_115541.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	949.6 KB
ID:	324289  
Old 10-02-2018, 05:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
UPDATE:

INTERBLOG, WACHUKO - regarding drain hole, I do not & will not drill a drain hole or even multi small drain holes. I wanted the cavity completely sealed from bottom & topfrom wate & dust. I have cut a round Lexan cover for top attached on entire perimeter. Used Velcro on inner ring of perimeter and waterproof weatherstripping on outer ring of perimeter.

I will take pic when I have a later need to lower spare, but I am not going to right now, as it's not a 30 second job to lower it. But I think my description above gives a pretty vivid pic.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
...I wanted the cavity completely sealed from bottom & topfrom wate & dust. I have cut a round Lexan cover for top attached on entire perimeter. Used Velcro on inner ring of perimeter and waterproof weatherstripping on outer ring of perimeter.

I will take pic when I have a later need to lower spare, but I am not going to right now, as it's not a 30 second job to lower it. But I think my description above gives a pretty vivid pic.
Take a pic and also report back on how it performs. I have found it difficult to keep water out of anything I put under the chassis. It just blasts up in there from the force of the wheels, and the blasting is augmented by harsh road shaking which helps the water to distribute. I'm tempted to say, "Who wants to make book on whether this thing will work?" Heh.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #16

Orlando , Florida
I will be drilling a few holes and installing some rubber flaps from the outside in the hopes that any water that comes in, has a way to get out.
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
INTERBLOG, WACHUKO - It rains 2-4 times a year (annual avg. 4") here so I not worried for myself. But you guys live in rain country, probably should have drain holes or really sealed top or both. Though it depends on what you store in there. With my original intent of using for weatherproof power cords & non drinking water hoses, flip flops, and beach toys, bicycle spare tires & tubes, etc. it wouldn't have mattered. But sealed or not, I wouldn't store anything that is of critical value. Works very well for me for 8 mos. now YMMV
Old 10-03-2018, 07:50 PM   #18

Orlando , Florida
Alex, yes, with the amount of water we get it is bound to find its way into the tray. I will make a similar cover but will also make the holes as a precaution... I will move the tools that are meant for tire repair and spare parts... I do not want those to be floating in water and the tools rusting out if water ever makes it inside and through the bag.

On the other hand, I could vacuum seal each item, lol...
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I will move the tools that are meant for tire repair and spare parts... I do not want those to be floating in water and the tools rusting out if water ever makes it inside and through the bag.

WACHUKO - exactly - those the type of tools & parts I put in there, only related to flat tire repair since it means I have to lower spare anyways. You know, vacuum sealing them is not a bad idea. Think about it, you are not going to use these often anyway (hopefully never). So why not?
Old 10-04-2018, 06:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

Not in Florida you can't. Not with the consumer-grade sealing systems such as Foodsaver, anyway. Those are optimized for freezing food. The plastic melts at incredibly low temperatures. I found that out when I started trying to seal my spare parts for internal Interstate storage. Ambient temperatures in summertime will break the seals.