Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge
Rye , NH
Mattress

New Owner of a 2016 Interstate. Does anyone have a recommendation for a "supplemental Mattress Cover"
GNFISHN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNFISHN1 View Post
New Owner of a 2016 Interstate. Does anyone have a recommendation for a "supplemental Mattress Cover"
I guess it would depend on what sort of bed topper you choose. I have seen inflatables and all sorts of pads used by different forum members. Some use sleep sacks of various types.

I converted to twin beds with real 7" custom mattresses.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
We use 3 inch memory foam as a mattress over the couch. We use a heated mattress pad over the memory foam. Makes getting into bed on a cool night very nice.

We leave the bed down all the time. The was a big draw for us to the lounge ext.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lakewood Ranch , Florida
After many trips with self inflating mattress pads we took a look at the My Pillow topper at the Tampa RV Super show. We liked it so we went for it. Unfortunately, straight out of the box it was too big but we still really liked it. Measure twice (or more ) and then breakout the electric carving knife.

Although we've only been able to sleep on it a couple of nights, those were good nights and were very happy with it.
Brezzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:09 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge
Rye , NH
Thanks so much...if i might bother you with a couple more...

* I assume this was manageable to to cut...
* Does it roll up tight for storage?

It's usually dumb not to ask a question...but I am not so sure in this case!
Old 05-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
We have a 4 inch thick king-size blow-up. It's pretty comfortable and since it's slightly wider than the AI bed, the mattress holds itself and the sheets in nicely. It also rolls up into a pretty small space during the day.
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lakewood Ranch , Florida
Quote:

* Does it roll up tight for storage?

Oh yea, an electric carving knife went right through it.
As to rolling it up, not so much. We ended up cutting the final pad in half length wise. Each half is then alot easier to roll up that way. We then went the extra step and bought some extra large vacuum suction bags from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 WE then suction the air out and put them behind the bench seat when in people mover mode

Like most, when we're in camper mode we just leave the bed made.
Brezzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge
Rye , NH
Thanks again...very helpful!
Warren
Old 05-06-2020, 11:24 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge
Rye , NH
Thanks so much...that might work!
Old 05-06-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge
Rye , NH
Thanks...there are more options than I thought!
Old 05-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
One thing we love is a luxurious bed and the AI is no exception.
It’s just two of us so we leave the bed down most of the time. We took off the jump seat side boards because we found them very uncomfortable. We put pool noodles over the hardware for now - until we find a better solution. We added two self inflating camp pads that work well. They are long enough and they stay together in the middle which is important for cuddle time.
I got spoiled when I experienced stonewashed linen sheets at a friends house. They are expensive but make our bed feel like heaven.
Our bottom “sheet” is a cushiony comforter that we put inside a luxurious stonewashed linen duvet cover. The top “sheet” is a 2nd linen duvet cover without anything inside. This gives us two layers of lightweight linen on top which is usually perfect for both warm and cool nights. Queen size is just right as we can tuck the sides in and the bed looks great. We have an extra blanket stored above if needed on cold nights. After 5 nights or so, we turn both duvets over so we have the clean side against our skin. We can go 10 nights or so before we launder the duvet covers. Removing and replacing the comforter inside the bottom duvet cover is a pain but worth it for us.
Also, I have a large canvas container underneath the bed that I can easily pull out and pushed back under. We use it to store gallon water jugs, bottles of wine and extra shoes. We use the space between the bench seat and the jump seats for storage of items we rarely use, like tools or emergency canned goods. If needed we simply roll up the bedding and retract the bench to access that area.
Blondie2015AI-Lounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Oh - and regarding the canvas container under the bed...it folds up nicely to store if/when needed.
Blondie2015AI-Lounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:34 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We got the sleep number 3” foam topper and it helps reduce the stress points a lot. Roll it up, secure with Velcro straps and stand it up behind the sofa when we need to. It’s heavy though. Can’t remember if it was the king or queen but fits perfectly and it doesn’t slide either.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:

Buy a California King foam mattress with cover. It will fit the bed of your Ext. lounge like gloves.
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote