Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ventura , California
Mass Electrical Problems

Hi all,
I purchased my Class B just over a year ago. I have spent more time at the Airstream repair shop than I have on trips.
Nav/ media turns off when key is off occasionally. Inconsistent.
Isolator was replaced but, engine battery drains when I'm boondocking.
DVD player turned on when house power is activated; have to keep turning it off at the player.
Inverter fuse keeps blowing.
Mercedes reports that something stays on in the coach even with coach power switch off.
I'm beside myself. I can't camp without worring that I will have to find someone to give the engine a jump. Several trips have been ruined or canceled. I'm trying a second Airstream shop but am getting quite worried at this point that Airstream doesn't have the means to fix it.
Any suggestions?

Dena
Land Sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Sorry about your electrical problems. Hang in there, another Interstate owner will be sure to chime in to help you.
In the mean time I would order a lithium battery jump box when you need to start your Interstate. I suggest, from Amazon, DBPOWER 600A 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter for #69.99.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Hi Dena,
The problem with Fusion Rasio/Nav have been mentioned on this forum before. It was reported as a wiring problem. Hopefully the second dealer will be able to fix your problems. I see you are in Ventura, California - perhaps someone on this forum from your area can help by recommending a good dealer.

Your 2017 GT should have solar panels, but they might not be working correctly if you are having so many problems.

The inverter fuse blowing would indicate you have some serious problems if it is the fuse. Or is it the circuit breaker on the Magnum inverter/charger? That can be caused by overloading the inverter. It is only 1000 Watts so it can’t power much.

Also you might want to plan a trip to Airstream factory in Jackson Center, OH to get a good factory fix. Sounds like you have some real problems.

Good Luck.
- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Hire a good attorney and revoke your acceptance of this lemon under California's generally-pro-consumer laws?

At least this option should be given serious consideration IMO. After one year, to have such continuing problems is exactly what the consumer protection laws were designed to take of.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Hire a good attorney and revoke your acceptance of this lemon under California's generally-pro-consumer laws?
I was wondering if anyone was going to broach that option. Here is a lengthy thread describing a case of an owner who investigated that route to resolution.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Ventura , California
Thank you. Funny, I just bought one of the lithium jumpers!

Dena
Old 04-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Ventura , California
My engine battery is dead after one night of boondocking. I've made sure the Nav red light was off. Coach seems to be pulling all power from the engine battery. Solutions? Isolator wired wrong? It's ok when parked with battery disconnect off.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
El Paso , TX
Has the electrical issue been fixed or identified so other repair shops can make the necessary repair? I just bought a 2017 Airstream Interstate Ext and am finding that my batteries are draining within two days. It is also affecting my chassis battery causing my engine not to start. I have heard that this problem is not uncommon with the Airstream / Mercedes combination.
lrlevine117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

FYI this thread is a couple of years old. Not sure, given your low post count, if you can send a PM [Private Message] to the OP [Original Poster], but here is a Quote which may get Dena's attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena m View Post
Hi all,
I purchased my Class B just over a year ago. I have spent more time at the Airstream repair shop than I have on trips.
Nav/ media turns off when key is off occasionally. Inconsistent.
Isolator was replaced but, engine battery drains when I'm boondocking.
DVD player turned on when house power is activated; have to keep turning it off at the player.
Inverter fuse keeps blowing.
Mercedes reports that something stays on in the coach even with coach power switch off.
I'm beside myself. I can't camp without worring that I will have to find someone to give the engine a jump. Several trips have been ruined or canceled. I'm trying a second Airstream shop but am getting quite worried at this point that Airstream doesn't have the means to fix it.
Any suggestions?

Dena
Alternatively, maybe "go up" to this forum's listings, and start a "New Thread" for your problem, via the blue button at the top left?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/

Sorry I can't help with your problems, but someone more knowledgeable should show up soon. In the meantime these "Interstate battery drain" search results may lead to helpful info:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Inte...=airforums.com

PS -- Dena is active on this current thread FYI: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...de-189657.html

Good luck,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 Interstate 24GL
Denver , North Carolina
I have just collected a 2021 interstate GL and experienced the same problem with the chassis battery going completely flat. To be clear if your battery voltage drops below 7 - 6 volts your battery is probably scrap. My vehicle ended up being towed to a Mercedes dealer and I insisted on a battery test. It took 3 hours to charge and test before they would replace battery the battery. I believe with a delayed delivery of my vehicle from April to July the battery was not looked after and was destroyed before I took ownership even though it charged fine.
morley8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #11
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by morley8000 View Post
I have just collected a 2021 interstate GL and experienced the same problem with the chassis battery going completely flat. To be clear if your battery voltage drops below 7 - 6 volts your battery is probably scrap. My vehicle ended up being towed to a Mercedes dealer and I insisted on a battery test. It took 3 hours to charge and test before they would replace battery the battery. I believe with a delayed delivery of my vehicle from April to July the battery was not looked after and was destroyed before I took ownership even though it charged fine.
Airstream and its dealers definitely take trailer coach batteries for granted, so it's no surprise they may do the same for Interstates. If it were my vehicle, I'd insist on the same check on the coach batteries that you just got on the vehicle's battery.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote