Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ventura , California
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 89
Blog Entries: 1
Mass Electrical Problems

Hi all,
I purchased my Class B just over a year ago. I have spent more time at the Airstream repair shop than I have on trips.
Nav/ media turns off when key is off occasionally. Inconsistent.
Isolator was replaced but, engine battery drains when I'm boondocking.
DVD player turned on when house power is activated; have to keep turning it off at the player.
Inverter fuse keeps blowing.
Mercedes reports that something stays on in the coach even with coach power switch off.
I'm beside myself. I can't camp without worring that I will have to find someone to give the engine a jump. Several trips have been ruined or canceled. I'm trying a second Airstream shop but am getting quite worried at this point that Airstream doesn't have the means to fix it.
Any suggestions?

Dena
Dena m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
TouringDan's Avatar
 
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,880
Sorry about your electrical problems. Hang in there, another Interstate owner will be sure to chime in to help you.
In the mean time I would order a lithium battery jump box when you need to start your Interstate. I suggest, from Amazon, DBPOWER 600A 18000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter for #69.99.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,446
Hi Dena,
The problem with Fusion Rasio/Nav have been mentioned on this forum before. It was reported as a wiring problem. Hopefully the second dealer will be able to fix your problems. I see you are in Ventura, California - perhaps someone on this forum from your area can help by recommending a good dealer.

Your 2017 GT should have solar panels, but they might not be working correctly if you are having so many problems.

The inverter fuse blowing would indicate you have some serious problems if it is the fuse. Or is it the circuit breaker on the Magnum inverter/charger? That can be caused by overloading the inverter. It is only 1000 Watts so it canít power much.

Also you might want to plan a trip to Airstream factory in Jackson Center, OH to get a good factory fix. Sounds like you have some real problems.

Good Luck.
- - Mike
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 16,530
Hire a good attorney and revoke your acceptance of this lemon under California's generally-pro-consumer laws?



At least this option should be given serious consideration IMO. After one year, to have such continuing problems is exactly what the consumer protection laws were designed to take of.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Hire a good attorney and revoke your acceptance of this lemon under California's generally-pro-consumer laws?
...
I was wondering if anyone was going to broach that option. Here is a lengthy thread describing a case of an owner who investigated that route to resolution.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ventura , California
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 89
Blog Entries: 1
Thank you. Funny, I just bought one of the lithium jumpers!

Dena
Dena m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ventura , California
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 89
Blog Entries: 1
My engine battery is dead after one night of boondocking. I've made sure the Nav red light was off. Coach seems to be pulling all power from the engine battery. Solutions? Isolator wired wrong? It's ok when parked with battery disconnect off.
Dena m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
El Paso , TX
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 11
Has the electrical issue been fixed or identified so other repair shops can make the necessary repair? I just bought a 2017 Airstream Interstate Ext and am finding that my batteries are draining within two days. It is also affecting my chassis battery causing my engine not to start. I have heard that this problem is not uncommon with the Airstream / Mercedes combination.
lrlevine117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 16,530
Welcome to the forum!

FYI this thread is a couple of years old. Not sure, given your low post count, if you can send a PM [Private Message] to the OP [Original Poster], but here is a Quote which may get Dena's attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena m View Post
Hi all,
I purchased my Class B just over a year ago. I have spent more time at the Airstream repair shop than I have on trips.
Nav/ media turns off when key is off occasionally. Inconsistent.
Isolator was replaced but, engine battery drains when I'm boondocking.
DVD player turned on when house power is activated; have to keep turning it off at the player.
Inverter fuse keeps blowing.
Mercedes reports that something stays on in the coach even with coach power switch off.
I'm beside myself. I can't camp without worring that I will have to find someone to give the engine a jump. Several trips have been ruined or canceled. I'm trying a second Airstream shop but am getting quite worried at this point that Airstream doesn't have the means to fix it.
Any suggestions?

Dena
Alternatively, maybe "go up" to this forum's listings, and start a "New Thread" for your problem, via the blue button at the top left?

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f240/

Sorry I can't help with your problems, but someone more knowledgeable should show up soon. In the meantime these "Interstate battery drain" search results may lead to helpful info:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Inte...=airforums.com

PS -- Dena is active on this current thread FYI: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...de-189657.html

Good luck,
__________________

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Barboursville , West Virginia
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 19
I have just collected a 2021 interstate GL and experienced the same problem with the chassis battery going completely flat. To be clear if your battery voltage drops below 7 - 6 volts your battery is probably scrap. My vehicle ended up being towed to a Mercedes dealer and I insisted on a battery test. It took 3 hours to charge and test before they would replace battery the battery. I believe with a delayed delivery of my vehicle from April to July the battery was not looked after and was destroyed before I took ownership even though it charged fine.
morley8000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #11
Living Riveted since 2013
 
Rocinante's Avatar

 
2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7,092
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by morley8000 View Post
I have just collected a 2021 interstate GL and experienced the same problem with the chassis battery going completely flat. To be clear if your battery voltage drops below 7 - 6 volts your battery is probably scrap. My vehicle ended up being towed to a Mercedes dealer and I insisted on a battery test. It took 3 hours to charge and test before they would replace battery the battery. I believe with a delayed delivery of my vehicle from April to July the battery was not looked after and was destroyed before I took ownership even though it charged fine.
Airstream and its dealers definitely take trailer coach batteries for granted, so it's no surprise they may do the same for Interstates. If it were my vehicle, I'd insist on the same check on the coach batteries that you just got on the vehicle's battery.
__________________
Rocinante Piccolo is our new-to-us 2016 Interstate Lounge 3500 EXT
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")


Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone live in Mass? funchucky1 Our Community 5 12-22-2008 07:23 AM
Problems Problems Problems pjzuk General Motorhome Topics 6 09-03-2007 07:25 AM
New Member from Mass TimeTraveler Member Introductions 8 04-12-2007 07:34 PM
trailer delivery from Mass. to Calif? How much? dkutz Dollars & Cents 13 04-19-2006 04:01 PM
Mass Fuel Tax Rebate yukionna Off Topic Forum 15 09-21-2005 11:27 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.