Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Thanks for sharing that paper towel story. I'm sure you didn't find it funny at the time, but it made me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #22
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I've always been a firm believer of RTFM and make sure anyone traveling knows the rules too.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
As an aside, there's an informative and fun website called TheFitRV run by an amusing couple; they tested out tank flushing and toilet appear and came to a recommendation for the best RV paper to use:
http://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/toil...with-children/

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I'm glad I can laugh about it now... No it wasn't funny at the time but It's good to know the brand of paper towel I buy is sure durable!! What is RTFM?? I'm guessing Respect the F#$^ing motorhome.... Roll the floor mat... Relive the fond memories!!
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:35 PM   #25
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjgman View Post
What is RTFM??
Read the effing manual. A close cousin of Government standard MIL-TDD-41 (Make it like the danged drawings for once).
Old 07-28-2014, 04:43 PM   #26
2011 Airstream Interstate

2011 Interstate Coach
Energy , Illinois
I am having a heck of a time finding the manual override bolt.
raddocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #27

2011 Interstate Coach
Energy , Illinois
Barker 24130 3" Auto Drain, is what I see when I crawl under and I don't see an override bolt. Am I looking in the wrong spot?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Can you please clarify the problem a little better:
You say the macerator pump rotates freely, so what exactly are you trying to free up?
Do the black and grey drain valves open and close properly? You should be able to hear them moving for a couple of seconds and then the red light on the valve switch should come on. Remember you can only have one valve open at a time, and its conventional to open the black one first.
If its one of the drain valve that is stuck, then take a look at the attached (hopefully) pdf doc which describes how to free it.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Nope, won't let me download a pdf. Have a look at this link:
http://drainmaster.com/site/sites/de...ride_image.gif
Old 07-28-2014, 10:58 PM   #30

2011 Interstate Coach
Energy , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Can you please clarify the problem a little better:
You say the macerator pump rotates freely, so what exactly are you trying to free up?
Do the black and grey drain valves open and close properly? You should be able to hear them moving for a couple of seconds and then the red light on the valve switch should come on. Remember you can only have one valve open at a time, and its conventional to open the black one first.
If its one of the drain valve that is stuck, then take a look at the attached (hopefully) pdf doc which describes how to free it.
Sorry if I haven't been descriptive enough So, My electric valves will not open, the grey valve is stuck open and the black valve is closed. The macerator/ pump works great and emptied my grey tank. I looked at my fuses and circuit 7 20 amp fuse was blown.

I replaced it, turned the power back on and it blew immediately. I have tried every order of turning on the inverter and the power. I have gone through 8 fuses. I have turned the macerator pump frontward and backward more than 20 times. Still no result.

I need to empty the black tank, it is full, so I looked for manual override of the grey valve to close it and to open the black tank. I can't find them. I can see the valves and what looks like the electrical motor that says Auto Drain. I have read through the manufacture's website, where it states they have an easy manual override. But, it doesn't say where it is.

I could really use some help.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 11:01 PM   #31

2011 Interstate Coach
Energy , Illinois
Fuses to electric dump valves

Quote:
Nope, won't let me download a pdf. Have a look at this link:
http://drainmaster.com/site/sites/de...ride_image.gif

Thanks, so much for the link, that is the kind of thing I am looking for, but I don't think I have a drain master, My valve looks like this.
http://www.barkermfg.com/autodrain.html
Old 07-29-2014, 12:38 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
LB , California
Had fuses blow again!
Last time (original post) turns out the wires UNDER the camper were knocked loose from debris on dirt road we were driving on that weekend on camping trip. Apparently, that caused fuse to blow over and over. In order to dump - Had to crawl under camper and manually push open and close the valves to dump (not too hard to do) till figured out that problem when got home and camper over to our local airstream shop.
Then again- different Fuse blew - macerator fuse - right in middle of a dump! Yikes - turns out something jammed it up - (prob not enough liquid...) tried turning macerator w screw behind rubber cap but no luck. Again airstream shop took care of it - shop told me that something was stuck and cleared it and while there I asked about by-passing. They said only way is to take tube off between valve and macerator. Eek.
Supercatspjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by raddocc View Post
Thanks, so much for the link, that is the kind of thing I am looking for, but I don't think I have a drain master, My valve looks like this.
Barker_AutoDrain
On that same page you provided is a button to download the owner's manual, and in there is a diagram of the parts of the valve; it also tells you how to manually open/close the valve: remove the 2 screws indicated to free the auto drain from the housing and this will allow you to push/pull the valve to open/close it.

The arrangement you have is clearly different from mine, so you should also check the Airstream manual for the dumping procedure to see if the grey valve has to be closed before you can open the black valve, which I'm sure is likely to be the case.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #34

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
The arrangement you have is clearly different from mine, so you should also check the Airstream manual for the dumping procedure to see if the grey valve has to be closed before you can open the black valve, which I'm sure is likely to be the case.
On mine, you can only operate one valve at a time, but there is no interlock requiring one valve to be closed before you can open the other; it's just that only one valve can be in motion at a time without blowing the fuse. I found that out the last time I hit the dump station.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #35

2011 Interstate Coach
Energy , Illinois
Thanks both of you, I must have over looked it. Thanks, again, I will work on it today.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Looked under mine today and saw that I have the Auto-Drain valves. To get under there to remove the two screws to operate the valve manually would require that the van is either straddling a ditch or on a lift. Neither are probably available at most dump stations.

Thanks to raddocc and UKDUDE for the valve links.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
To get under there to remove the two screws to operate the valve manually would require that the van is either straddling a ditch or on a lift. Neither are probably available at most dump stations.
Yes, I'm dreading the day when I have trouble with my waterworks.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:57 AM   #38

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Looked under mine today and saw that I have the Auto-Drain valves. To get under there to remove the two screws to operate the valve manually would require that the van is either straddling a ditch or on a lift. Neither are probably available at most dump stations.
I carry leveling blocks anyway to level my Interstate while camping. If I park on a flat surface I can use those blocks to obtain a little bit of elevation of at least one end of the vehicle for wiggling underneath if need be. It's remarkable how much difference just a couple of inches makes.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:22 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Is new always an upgrade? Think about it! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post