Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2017, 10:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Denver , Colorado
Managing Special/Medical Needs

Has anyone with a recent model Interstate had experience with installation of a lift chair or lift platform for a disabled person? I'm NOT asking about a wheelchair lift here. We've ordered a 2017 Interstate GT. We've owned two Airstream trailers but my wife's disability makes it too difficult for her to get into both the tow vehicle and trailer multiple times a day. There are companies that install a small screw-lift seat at the sliding door. And one company has a photo of same on its website with an Interstate. But, as usual, I like to hear from my Airstream brethren about their experiences. What can you tell me?
My community is where, to quote Walt Whitman, I encounter"the beggar's tramp, the drunkard's stagger, the laughing party of mechanics, the escaped youth, the rich person's carriage, the fop, the eloping couple, the early market man, the hearse."
Redd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I've not heard of anyone doing this, but it would seem eminently workable.

The hoist of oneself up into the Interstate can be difficult, and I have seen use of a small step stool to ease that first step up.

Maggie
Old 04-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Disabled lift into Interstate or motorhome

There is a company called Coach Lift that has some examples on its website at www.coachlift.com . One of the pictures in the website appears to show it mounted on an Interstate. It is sold by S&S Mobility Products in Temple, AZ...although I wouldn't be surprised if there are other vendors.
If any Airstreamers out there have had experience with this type of lift, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

http://www.coachlift.com/vehicle-lift/
My community is where, to quote Walt Whitman, I encounter"the beggar's tramp, the drunkard's stagger, the laughing party of mechanics, the escaped youth, the rich person's carriage, the fop, the eloping couple, the early market man, the hearse."
Old 04-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
also COMPANY CALLED BRAUN. Check with your Physical or Occupational Therapist for suggestions/ referral. From SD, check with the ones in Des Moines Iowa or Craig institute in Colorado.
mj
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are a lot of vans on Sprinter chassis that are used to transport the elderly and the disabled, so I would think a modification would be pretty straightforward.

You may be the first to do this, Redd, at which point you must report back here.

Although not disabled, one of the extreme advantages of the Interstate that we noticed over the years is the ability to simply park and step to the back if the weather is bad....can run out to do electricity, if absolutely need be, but otherwise there is no hooking up or setting up needed.

Would be very amenable to a disabled passenger or even driver.

Maggie
Old 04-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Know how to get help in medical emergency

Do you know how to tell the 911 operator where you are if there is a medical emergency in the middle of the night? An idea I got from another Airstreamer was to write the current address and location on a white board every evening. That way you won't have to waste precious minutes looking for an address while trying to talk with 911. It might be an issue especially if you are boondocking or staying in a Walmart parking lot because there very well may be several Walmarts in the immediate territory.
This whole concept of 911 being able to track your GPS location by your cell phone is not as widely available and usable as one might think. In other words, don't rely on that alone.
Know your precise location if you want help the fastest.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Great suggestion.

Your 911 call will likely ping off the nearest tower however that's is not always so accurate.

When they say 911 what is your emergency, give your location and name then your crisis. The calls are likely recorded so they can replay that section to listen to your location if necessary.

If you dont know your location do your best to give them info that will help them find you and stay patient.

I once had to give a 911 call operator a location in a small rural town in Idaho. Although I knew no street names and we were off on a country rd they found us. I gave farm names, structure names and landmarks and the young county sheriff officer knew his area very well and was able to follow the vague directions.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Do you know how to tell the 911 operator where you are if there is a medical emergency in the middle of the night? An idea I got from another Airstreamer was to write the current address and location on a white board every evening. That way you won't have to waste precious minutes looking for an address while trying to talk with 911. It might be an issue especially if you are boondocking or staying in a Walmart parking lot because there very well may be several Walmarts in the immediate territory.
This whole concept of 911 being able to track your GPS location by your cell phone is not as widely available and usable as one might think. In other words, don't rely on that alone.
Know your precise location if you want help the fastest.
I have a "Where Am I At" app on my iPhone that tells me the precise location (latitude and longitude) that can be shared by email, text, etc, or simply read to a 911 operator.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
A SPOT satellite tracker or other device can summon 911 just about anywhere, even out of cell phone range. GPS coordinates built in.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
My wife hikes in the Smoky Mountains and uses inReach from DeLorme to track, send text messages....and God forbid call for help. We can use it on the road, or anywhere. It is very accurate and easy to use. The SOS feature goes to a central response center that then contacts responders near the source of the signal.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
CPAP machine and boondocking

What are you doing to power a CPAP machine while boon docking? Batteries, generator? If you're able to run it off batteries then how much battery depletion are you experiencing?
Old 04-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
My CPAP will consume about 60ahrs in an 8 hour night. It's one of the reasons we did our lithium upgrade.....480ahrs. I also have a pair of small lithium power cells that I can use when we have power outages at home. I could use them in the RV, but would have to recharge them somehow.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I have a T1N with a single 100 amp hour wet cell. I bought a 12 volt adapter, designed for my CPAP. If I don't use the humidifier I can go 2-3 nights. Using the CPAP humidifier barely gets me through one night. We have a 100 volt solar suitcase and have managed a week without driving or starting the generator. I'll probably go with an AGM Lifeline battery next and maybe eventually a single lithium. Our total daily usage just doesn't justify much more.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote