Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
I also have to replace the macerator this upcoming weekend so first things first! Yuck... !
Good video on macerator replacement from Aaron of Irene Iron Fitness youtube channel.
https://youtu.be/cEHNLhvMpcc
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:15 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
That is a good video, thank you for the link. I understand his accent perfectly, too .
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:42 AM   #23
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
National Weather Service info

Here is the NWS page concerning the Derecho storm of August 10, 2020 (updated August 20, 2020.) Although there are photos, and they're informative and the damage in them looks horrible, they don't begin to show that actual damage spread across the entire eastern half of the State of Iowa.

https://www.weather.gov/dvn/summary_081020
Old 08-27-2020, 10:47 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Our son lives in Vidor.. He went to Katy to ride out the storm. Was back home today about noon and cleaned up the yard with a leaf blower. His fence was down, but NO further damage. He and family lucked out.
Weather channel missed this one, how fast things change. So sorry for those who got hit.
MJ
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:00 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Glad your son made it through the storm okay. It has to be worrisome waiting to see if a family member makes it through a storm of that magnitude with or without damage and more importantly, safely.

Going to switch gears back to a Goal Zero Yeti. I have replied a few times but our internet connection was sketchy for a bit with all the line damage so I lost a couple replies. To explain, the upgrade would not be to run our home during a storm. My goal is to make the Interstate more usable all the time. We camp in places that sometimes donít have good cell service, which has nothing to do with power, but itís just hilly and Iíd actually like to be able to be off the grid in places like that for a couple hours, especially when we have the dogs in the Interstate. Be nice to go have lunch and let them nap without the generator growling away and such. So my intentions to upgrade are not just in thinking of powering a fridge or our house. I understand the limitations of generators and solar units and such to a certain extent. Like I said, until you really are under crunch time with no water, or food where the more you open the door, the less cold it stays since the electricity is out, or a hot shower, you start to think about how you can make things work a bit better during times like that, but itís a dual goal. Iíd like to have a bit more flexibility to stay without being plugged in a bit of the time. Thereís enough posts that I can piece some of that together. Just didnít have the time or ability while in clean up mode or without electricity.

Iím going to see if anyone has invested in a smaller solar powered unit, as weight becomes an issue and since we have a bigger unit. I was looking at the Goal Zero Yeti 500 as an option to use outside the Interstate, to increase our abilities to charge different smaller items, and maybe be able to run our portable cooler. Anyone have any experience with one of the smaller Yetis? What can you power with them and possibly information as to how long?
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote