Old 07-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Magnum inverter question

My magnum is not powering up at all on DC power and is giving a “Fault ! No Comm” when connected to Shore or generator. I suspect this is a problem with the SB-164 solenoid not opening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	298.8 KB
ID:	318120

When I check the voltage from the left red terminal to black I get 12 volts with main dc switch off or on. And 0-1 volts from the right red terminal to black. I’m no expert but I assume when the RC power is turned on the solenoid should close and I should get 12 v from either of the terminals to black

Am I understanding this correctly? If so any recommendations for a replacement solenoid?

Thanks
Eric
Schmitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You are correct. There should be continuity through the solenoid. That solenoid is a total piece of junk and never should have been used in an Interstate.

I replaced mine with a heavy-duty battery switch mounted to the right of the fuse panel. I can turn it off manually if I store the AI without external power.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Thanks!
Just ordered this one...
Cole Hersee 24213 12V 200A Continuous Solenoid
Old 07-27-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitte View Post
Thanks!
Just ordered this one...
Cole Hersee 24213 12V 200A Continuous Solenoid
That will be another power hug. The right solution is to get a battery disconnect and put it in the path. Or just bypass it and know that there will always be some power consumption.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:36 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Thanks. Never thought about the extra power draw to keep the circuit closed when on battery power. I’m new to the RV world on limited power. Can’t find any info on the power consumption of the solenoid.

pahashka: Can you share the info of switch you used and a pic of the install?
Old 07-28-2018, 06:42 AM   #6
Contributing Member

Quote:
pahashka: Can you share the info of switch you used and a pic of the install?
I happened to have several HD battery switches laying around in the shop that I picked up for a song at flea markets. Here's what they looked like. Lots of sources on the net. Just search for battery switches.

Just remove the heavy cables from the solenoid and attach to the switch. I put the switch on the front panel to the right of the fuse panel. Plenty of cable length.

Just tape off the small wires to the solenoid. I used those wires to power a habdy cigarette-lighter type outlet.
Attached Images

WBCCI #9632
Old 07-30-2018, 07:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Libertyville , Illinois
Thanks Pahaska. I tried measuring current across the small wire terminals when energized and it was either (1) below the detection limit of my multimeter or 2) user error. So, for now I just replaced the solenoid and solved my immediate problem with shore charging. If power draw becomes an issue I will swap out the solenoid for the switch.

Eric
Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
Contributing Member

The Airstream-supplied solenoid in mine, after being energized for a time, was so hot that I couldn't lay hand on it. That's a lot of wasted power!
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Thanks Pahaska. I tried measuring current across the small wire terminals when energized and it was either (1) below the detection limit of my multimeter or 2) user error. So, for now I just replaced the solenoid and solved my immediate problem with shore charging. If power draw becomes an issue I will swap out the solenoid for the switch.

Eric
You should see ~0.6 amps (7-8 Watts). To measure the current take one of the wires off the small terminals and measure the current between the wire and terminal you just removed it from.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:50 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Springdale , Arkansas
Similar issue with 2018 Interstate Lounge

I have a 2018 with the computer panel for info on what is operating etc....
Flipping the red switch does nothing.
Acts like house batteries are dead.
When I plug in the shore power I get the same fault, No comm on the inverter remote.
I tried to charge the house batteries via the connector switch on the dash, but no luck. Also radio system is out (which looks like it is powered direct through the bus bar and NOT through the disconnect.
Should the vehicle battery be able to charge the house batteries after a minute of holding down the dash connector?
Should I just take jumper cables from vehicle batteries to house batteries?
Not sure what is happening or what to do. Oh, and we are on vacation
Any help appreciated!
tnx
Jeff
BlueMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #11
Contributing Member

Holding down the dash switch will soon kill the chassis battery if the house batteries are flat. Not a good idea. The switch is meant to let the house battery help start the engine, not the other way around.

The Magnum will not charge a flat battery. There has to be substantial voltage before the Magnum will switch on its charger. Many portable chargers will not charge big batteries from flat. A shop with a better charger may be needed.

Driving or idling the engine will put some charge into the batteries through the BIM.

The question arises: why are the batteries that flat?
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Springdale , Arkansas
Good question on why are they flat.
My wife had it parked with (I believe) the red disconnect turned on for a few days. That and the gas solenoid was no too.
I'll get a battery charger and put it on the house batteries for a few hours and see what happens. In Steamboat and not sure there is really an RV dealer here. May be a diesel shop with charger if a regular charger doesn't work. Will let you guy know.
Thanks!
Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Springdale , Arkansas
If the charger doesn't work, I'll get a set at the Advanced Auto locally.
What model / battery do you guys suggest?
tnx
Jeff
Old 09-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMesa View Post
Good question on why are they flat.
My wife had it parked with (I believe) the red disconnect turned on for a few days. That and the gas solenoid was no too.
I'll get a battery charger and put it on the house batteries for a few hours and see what happens. In Steamboat and not sure there is really an RV dealer here. May be a diesel shop with charger if a regular charger doesn't work. Will let you guy know.
Thanks!
Not plugged into shore power with LP on for a few days drains the batteries - that is why your batteries are dead. You need to get your house batteries up to at least 10 volts before the Magnum charger will work.

If you buy a charger make sure it will charge a dead battery - most sold in an auto parts store wont do it as they require some voltage on the battery to be charged.

As Pahaska mentioned don't use the boost switch on dash; unless the engine is running or else your Sprinter battery will soon also be dead. But you can use the boost to send power to the house batteries just like jump starting. Several members on this forum have used it to start the generator. That is a two person task. One holding boost while another starts the generator. But the generator won't help you yet as the batteries seem to be to flat.

You might be able to get your batteries charged without buying another chargers using these steps.

Step 1. Make sure you have the loads minimized, like the LP valve, TV boost and other things are OFF. I'd recommend leaving the disconnect ON.

Step 2. Start your van and drive it for a few minutes to get all the systems up to full temperature.

Step 3. Then park your van where you can plug it in and leave the engine idling. But don't plug it in right away.

Step 4. Press and hold the battery boost switch on left side of lower drive side dash. Keep the engine running. This will put some energy into your batteries just like you would to jump start a vehicle with a dead battery. You will have to do this for a few minutes to get enough into the dead batteries. Since you have already done this you might have to do it several times to get the house batteries up to 10 volts.

Step 5. Now plug into shore power. Leave the van idling. You don't need a 30A outlet as a 15-20A is enough to just run the Magnum charger.

Step 6. Check to see it the Magnum is now charging. If not press and hold the boost again while plugged in to see if Magnum will start charging.

If this doesn't work then your house batteries are too far gone. You will need to get a strong battery charger hooked directly to the batteries under van. Something like a full service auto garage will have. Once the batteries get recharged to above 10 volts, get plugged in to run the Magnum for at least 24 hours to recover the batteries.

Good Luck,
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:01 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Springdale , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Not plugged into shore power with LP on for a few days drains the batteries - that is why your batteries are dead. You need to get your house batteries up to at least 10 volts before the Magnum charger will work.

If you buy a charger make sure it will charge a dead battery - most sold in an auto parts store wont do it as they require some voltage on the battery to be charged.

As Pahaska mentioned don't use the boost switch on dash; unless the engine is running or else your Sprinter battery will soon also be dead. But you can use the boost to send power to the house batteries just like jump starting. Several members on this forum have used it to start the generator. That is a two person task. One holding boost while another starts the generator. But the generator won't help you yet as the batteries seem to be to flat.

You might be able to get your batteries charged without buying another chargers using these steps.

Step 1. Make sure you have the loads minimized, like the LP valve, TV boost and other things are OFF. I'd recommend leaving the disconnect ON.

Step 2. Start your van and drive it for a few minutes to get all the systems up to full temperature.

Step 3. Then park your van where you can plug it in and leave the engine idling. But don't plug it in right away.

Step 4. Press and hold the battery boost switch on left side of lower drive side dash. Keep the engine running. This will put some energy into your batteries just like you would to jump start a vehicle with a dead battery. You will have to do this for a few minutes to get enough into the dead batteries. Since you have already done this you might have to do it several times to get the house batteries up to 10 volts.

Step 5. Now plug into shore power. Leave the van idling. You don't need a 30A outlet as a 15-20A is enough to just run the Magnum charger.

Step 6. Check to see it the Magnum is now charging. If not press and hold the boost again while plugged in to see if Magnum will start charging.

If this doesn't work then your house batteries are too far gone. You will need to get a strong battery charger hooked directly to the batteries under van. Something like a full service auto garage will have. Once the batteries get recharged to above 10 volts, get plugged in to run the Magnum for at least 24 hours to recover the batteries.

Good Luck,

Ok. Thanks all.
I bought a trickle charger and hooked directly to house batteries. They were about 9.7v. Brought them up to 12.4v after 18 hrs. Now all good. I think wife had left the red disconnect switch on. Solar seems to top off batteries ok if sunny (Colorado), and LP switch on.
Also I created this simple drawing to help here. Not perfect but may help others. Airstream should publish a better one.
Thanks again.
BlueMesa
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	472.4 KB
ID:	323750
Old 09-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Great - glad to hear you got it working again. Thanks for the follow-up and the diagram.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:36 PM   #17
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMesa View Post
Also I created this simple drawing to help here. Not perfect but may help others. Airstream should publish a better one.
Thanks again.
BlueMesa
BLUEMESA - glad issue is resolved. Good diagram. When I first got my rv in March, I made similar diagram even though the User's Manual has very elaborate ones. Did so for me to understand rv systems better. I have degrees in Electrical & Electronics Engineering & Computer Science and very used to reading schematics. But the rv industry diagrams their systems differently, so I needed lots of help until I started to understand their documentation methodology.
Alex AVI is online now   Reply With Quote