Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAtom View Post
Ha!, that little sucker has gotten me more than once. Plug something in in the blind and it's easy to hit the trip button.
Surprised that Airstream didn't put it in a more accessible location like maybe next to the macerator pump.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #62
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
This may be a silly question but what do you have to do to disconnect the solenoid? Simply disconnect the cables from both sides of the solenoid and connect them directly? Is it ok to leave the other wires connected?
bigfishdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #63
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Simply join the cables on a single stud of the solenoid and leave the other stud empty. Since they are both positive, this will complete the circuit and also secure the union of both cables. 😃

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #64
1 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
Ahhh. That's easy. Thanks!! I kept getting the "no comm" message. After trying other things I finally tapped on the solenoid and heard a click and then it started working. After I read your earlier message about a solenoid being hot I felt mine and it was really hot. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
DuBois , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
On your Magnum you will see a little grey re-set button next to a green LED. No comm means that the ME-MR and your MMS-1012 are not speaking.
I am having a similar problem. I keep getting the "Fault NO COMM" error. It seems to be intermittent. But it now seems to be happening each time I plug into shore power (15 amp at home). One time it suddenly resolved itself. Another time I ran the engine for 10 mins and it resolved itself. Another time it seemed to resolve when I turned the house switch off then back on. But that is not consistently working. The batteries are new but I suspect the previous batteries went bad possibly due to the same issue. The voltage has been above 12.6 when this is happening so the batteries don't seem to be too low. Today I did Magnum reset with the gray button beside the green light. That cleared the error (idea from a previous post). Does anyone know why I am getting this error? Will I have to do the reset every time? Or do I just need to wait longer? Any ideas about what could be going on would be greatly appreciated.
Backpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:05 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
I have had this happen and found it doesn’t happen if I make sure the house power is OFF when I connect the shore power.
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:55 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

DuBois , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLife View Post
I have had this happen and found it doesn’t happen if I make sure the house power is OFF when I connect the shore power.
Thanks MountainLife. But I have tried this and I still have the error. I turn off the house switch and the shore power breaker. Then, 1st I plug into the RV. 2nd I plug into the shore power. 3rd I turn on the shore power breaker. The error appears. 4th I turn on the house switch. Still have the error. Sometimes it will resolve itself. Other times the error remains until I turn off the house switch for a few minutes and then turn it back on. I have not been able to identify a pattern. We are planning a month long trip so my concern is it will decide to not resolve itself in the middle of the trip. Maybe the problem is unique to my interstate. It just feels like I am missing something simple. I wonder if anyone else has run into this?
Old 11-29-2022, 07:19 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The cable between the ME-MR control panel and the MMS-1012 Inverter/Charger might be loose or damaged. They are just the old 4-pin telephone cables and can fail.

Time to check the wires. Attaching the ME-MR manual in case you don't have one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ME-MR Manual (64-0031 Rev E)_Web rev1.2.pdf (518.1 KB, 16 views)
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:01 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

DuBois , Pennsylvania
Still intermittent. Any thoughts?

Thanks. I have tested a different 4-pin telephone cable. That is not the problem. I also made sure the cables on the charger were tight (one post said that corrected the issue). I have recently noticed that the GFCI outlets are also not working when I get the "fault no comm" I suspect this is always the case. I have tried to reset the GFCIs by pushing the reset button but nothing happens. So far the problem seems to come and go intermittently. The GFCI outlets even start working. I cannot establish a pattern. The best guess I have at this point is that when the battery gets so low it requires charging that triggers something that removes the "fault no comm" error and causes the GFCI outlets to work. But that is just a guess. So far it has not left me without battery when I need it but it did leave us without the GFCI outlet when we needed them. I am afraid to go on long trip without knowing for sure what is going on. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2023, 05:32 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Our GFI circuit kept tripping and concluded it was the curbside receptacle outside our AI that was causing the problem. We replaced it and made sure it was better sealed from water. We also replaced the related circuit breaker.
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:34 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

DuBois , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLife View Post
Our GFI circuit kept tripping and concluded it was the curbside receptacle outside our AI that was causing the problem. We replaced it and made sure it was better sealed from water. We also replaced the related circuit breaker.
Thanks. That might be worth a try. Is it a standard GFI receptacle I could get at a hardware store or do I need to go to Airstream?
Old 03-04-2023, 06:39 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

DuBois , Pennsylvania
Actually, as I continue to think about this I realize that the GFI breaker is not actually tripping. When the "fault no comm" message on the Magnum mysteriously goes away the outlets all work again without hitting a reset button.
Old 03-04-2023, 06:48 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpacker View Post
Thanks. That might be worth a try. Is it a standard GFI receptacle I could get at a hardware store or do I need to go to Airstream?

You can get a regular outlet for the exterior as all of the outlets from that breaker are GFCI protected. The breaker that you need to replace it with is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H04XXQQ?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_HPAAMYYBY38GWE1CP1 2E
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:36 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

DuBois , Pennsylvania
Solenoid?

I am still trying to establish a consistent cause for the "Fault No Comm". I have read that a bad solenoid (mine is pictured) can cause similar issues. I also read if it is getting hot it could be bad. Mine, at times, is getting pretty hot to the touch. Has anyone changed out this solenoid on a 2016 AI? Does anyone know if any 200 Amp 12V Dual Battery Isolator would work? Or is there a specific one required? Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solenoid.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	428911  
Old 03-10-2023, 02:04 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

DuBois , Pennsylvania
Will try a swap out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid.png
Views:	29
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	429003

Since no one has weighed in I suspect no-one has been down this road. I have ordered this solenoid. I plan to swap it out to see if it corrects the problem. If there is no change I may just swap it back and send it back. Of course I am open to further cautions and input. I will post my results. Thanks for the help so far.

Rich
Old 03-10-2023, 02:14 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Salem , New Hampshire
Quote:
Attachment 429003

Since no one has weighed in I suspect no-one has been down this road. I have ordered this solenoid. I plan to swap it out to see if it corrects the problem. If there is no change I may just swap it back and send it back. Of course I am open to further cautions and input. I will post my results. Thanks for the help so far.

Rich
Rich, I replaced our Magnum last year so I don't have any more info for you. However, I do remember reading somewhere on here where the solenoid was creating a problem and folks removing it to solve the problem. I think that even Airstream might have some documentation on this issue. I could be completely off and maybe it's something different but I swear I remember reading something about the solenoid. Maybe some others can chime in on the subject or can point you to that thread.

Good luck!
StogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:03 AM   #77
1 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
Quote:
Attachment 429003

Rich

Rich, I have a 2015 Ext Lounge and had the same problem. It sounds like your issue is definitely the solenoid. Earlier in the thread I followed Lewster’s advice on how to bypass the solenoid and I did that until I could have it switched out. Years ago I had Colonial Airstream switch it out as I had a service appt scheduled with them for other things. I looked for my paperwork to see what solenoid they used but couldn’t find it. I remember them telling me that the original was junk and I shouldn’t have a problem with the replacement. So far, years later, I haven’t had the issue again. Good luck.

Dennis
Old 03-21-2023, 08:24 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

DuBois , Pennsylvania
Here is an update. I installed the new solenoid (pictured earlier) yesterday. And it seems the problem may be solved because it no longer seems to be intermittent. I have only tested it 4 times so far. When I plug the shore power in, with the house switch off, I get the "fault no comm" error. But as soon as I turn on the house switch the error goes away and the display indicates the system is bulk charging. It still seems strange that the error appears until I turn on the house switch but at least that is consistent. If this continues I believe the problem is solved. It seems counter intuitive but I plan to try turning on the shore power with the house switch on to see if I get the error.

To install the solenoid I just unhooked the 3 black cables from the bolt right behind the solenoid (tip from a mechanic friend). This enabled me to work on the solenoid without current.

If there is any change I will come back with another update. But I think I am all set.

Thank you StogieMan and Dennis for Your help.
Rich
Old 03-28-2023, 08:40 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

DuBois , Pennsylvania
A farther update:
It seems the solenoid has solved many things:
1. I no longer get the "fault no comm" if the house switch is on when I turn on shore power.
2. When I do get the error by turning on the shore power before turning on the house switch, turning on the house switch makes it go away consistently.
3. So, of course the GFCI outlets work fine without the error.
4. I can turn on the inverter (magnum panel) any time the house switch is on (including with the engine running) and I have power at GFCI outlets (including TVs).
5. I know this can quickly kill the batteries so I am careful not to do this without engine or shore power. With the new solenoid I can now test these limits.

This has changed everything for me. That bad solenoid sure made me question everything including my sanity. It still seems strange that the error appears if I turn on shore power without the house switch on but that is something I can live with.
I hope my experience helps someone else. I am now looking forward to some great adventures.