Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2019, 12:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Macerator pump blowing fuse

Black and gray tank valve motors work. Hose real works, but can't turn on macerator. It blows 20 fuse immediately. History...macerator fell off last year on way to Jackson center. They replaced it and remounted it. Was in Jackson center this past May for small drip leak while using macerator. They said they "resealed everything". Got home and still small drip while dumping. The drip did not smell, it looked like water. Now the fuse blows as soon as I flip the switch for the macerator. Was prepping for international rally in Virginia but can't go with this problem. Last year my gray valve pump quit and when we removed the pump housing it was full of water which corroded the motor. I'm wondering if water got into macerator and did same. Any suggestions. I called Airstream, but went to voicemail. I don't think I can get a replacement in time for rally. I have to depend on 4 motors to dump which seems like a disaster always waiting to happen.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:29 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Maybe it is as simple as a stuck blade in the macerator. It can be manually turned with a screwdriver. Here is a link with some good info on your problem.
I see you had no problem crawling under before so this should be an easy check.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...es-170131.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190712_061755.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	346191  
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I think Getridaone nailed it for you. Happened to me too and was an easy fix. Had to use a large flat blade screwdriver and rotate both directions to get it freed up.

You brought up dripping while dumping and we may have the same problem. I have a drip quite often (but not always) when just parked while I have fluid in my grey tank. Pretty sure I've got a leaky grey dump valve which then allows the plumbing before the macerator to fill up halfway. I say halfway because there are two weep holes in sides of the big pipe you can see while crouched beside the van. Not sure if these are for air to get in and assist with the dumping process, of if they are there to indicate a leak like I have. I'm leery of getting tossed out of a campground for active leaking of my sewer system, even though it's grey water (no smell on my finger).

Does anyone have experience fixing this? In anticipation of a future failure of one of the dump valve motors, I purchased one of these: https://amzn.to/2xInVLP

but you only get the motor box and not the blade / gate mechanism. I think our dump valve / blade / gate is a little different from this photo anyway. Not sure if removing & cleaning what I have will solve the problem, or if it needs to be replaced. Does anyone know where to find the full mechanism?

If I'm going to pay to have servicing done on this mess, I may as well replace both motors, the gate valves, the macerator (have one) and maybe have them do the manual dump bypass that some here have done. I've tackled a lot of projects myself but I think this one is beyond my ability, especially being on the road full time.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
When I purchased my 2013 AI a little over a month ago, my issue started with blow fuses, then the pump died completely. Hopefully the screwdriver works for you. When I got mine off, there was an o-ring and a bunch of what looked like fabric, but may have been some kind of bladder material hanging out of the end where the blades are. Prior owner had it for 2 years and reported having blown fuse issues when I purchased it, but said it worked for him the few times he needed to use it after replacing the fuse. Given its age, mine had outlived its useful life by the time I took delivery. Good luck with yours. I think Airstream's "re-sealing" process involves a bunch of silicone, which IMHO shouldn't be the OEM installation process when there are obvious better materials and methods available.
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #5
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I replaced the 20A macerator fuse with a slow-blow 20A fuse. Never have blown one since. If I don't hear the motor start, I have time to get my finger off the switch before the fuse will blow.

It took some time to search the net for slow-blow fuses, but it is worth it for peace of mind. I think I had to buy 10 fuses.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
I replaced the 20A macerator fuse with a slow-blow 20A fuse. Never have blown one since. If I don't hear the motor start, I have time to get my finger off the switch before the fuse will blow.

It took some time to search the net for slow-blow fuses, but it is worth it for peace of mind. I think I had to buy 10 fuses.
John, is this a blade fuse? Do not have the AI at home... would like to order it.

Like this one?

https://www.electricalhub.com/littel...RoCk5IQAvD_BwE
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #7
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
Black and gray tank valve motors work. Hose real works, but can't turn on macerator. It blows 20 fuse immediately. History...macerator fell off last year on way to Jackson center. They replaced it and remounted it. Was in Jackson center this past May for small drip leak while using macerator. They said they "resealed everything". Got home and still small drip while dumping. The drip did not smell, it looked like water. Now the fuse blows as soon as I flip the switch for the macerator. Was prepping for international rally in Virginia but can't go with this problem. Last year my gray valve pump quit and when we removed the pump housing it was full of water which corroded the motor. I'm wondering if water got into macerator and did same. Any suggestions. I called Airstream, but went to voicemail. I don't think I can get a replacement in time for rally. I have to depend on 4 motors to dump which seems like a disaster always waiting to happen.
Hi Mansderm161,*

Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
If you were here, I'd give you a big hug. It crossed my mind, but it burned the fuse as soon as it turned on so I was thinking short somewhere. Plus I've had a small drip when dumping so I thought water got into housing. At your suggestion, I turned the screw and VOILA! Back in business. Thanks soooooooo much. So I am going to head to international rally and see if Virginia airstream can fix the drip while I'm there....plan B is back to Jackson in August. They still have not even returned my call. If you are at the rally....please look me up. Thanks again. This forum is full of wonderful people!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #9
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
John, is this a blade fuse? Do not have the AI at home... would like to order it.

Like this one?

https://www.electricalhub.com/littel...RoCk5IQAvD_BwE
That looks like those I have. Hard to distinguish by eye from the original fuses.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Problem solved!

Yeeaaayyy!!!

Have a great trip.

Maggie
Old 07-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
Maybe it is as simple as a stuck blade in the macerator. It can be manually turned with a screwdriver. Here is a link with some good info on your problem.
I see you had no problem crawling under before so this should be an easy check.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...es-170131.html
Quote:
If you were here, I'd give you a big hug. It crossed my mind, but it burned the fuse as soon as it turned on so I was thinking short somewhere. Plus I've had a small drip when dumping so I thought water got into housing. At your suggestion, I turned the screw and VOILA! Back in business. Thanks soooooooo much...
Woohooo!!! Great news!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:17 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
Quote:
If you were here, I'd give you a big hug. It crossed my mind, but it burned the fuse as soon as it turned on so I was thinking short somewhere. Plus I've had a small drip when dumping so I thought water got into housing. At your suggestion, I turned the screw and VOILA! Back in business. Thanks soooooooo much. So I am going to head to international rally and see if Virginia airstream can fix the drip while I'm there....plan B is back to Jackson in August. They still have not even returned my call. If you are at the rally....please look me up. Thanks again. This forum is full of wonderful people!
I am glad you got the problem fixed and are off to the rally next week. I have a septic tank so I am able to clean my tanks out at home. I fill the black tank with water and drive the two miles to the park with about ten speed bumps in the parking lot. It is amazing how much toliet paper comes out when you think it is clean. Dried paper in the macerator is probably the cause.
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 19
Menlo Park , California
Where is the Fuse Box for the Macerator 20A on the 2020 Interstate 19

My macerator doesn't work....where can I find the CB3 20A fuse?
csb333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 04:36 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by csb333 View Post
My macerator doesn't work....where can I find the CB3 20A fuse?
The fuse box on my interstate is under the panel under the seat in back, drivers side. I have bought fuses both at Walmart and a RV service center. Before you just change fuse and try again, there is a screw located on the macerator to manually turn the blades. If they are stuck, it will blow the fuse each time. So locate fuse, remove blown, turn screw, replace fuse and hopefully you are good to go. Refer to manual to verify this info. My screw on the macerator was covered with a rubber cap, so I had to remove that to get to it.
Old 04-16-2022, 03:43 PM   #15

Billimgs , Alaska
Any suggestions for getting the screw on the macerator pump to rotate (in either direction)? Mine seems to be frozen with rust and/or corrosion. I sprayed anti-rust lube on the screw head, let it soak for about an hour. Still, no go. Thanks.
dwgaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 08:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgaub View Post
Any suggestions for getting the screw on the macerator pump to rotate (in either direction)? Mine seems to be frozen with rust and/or corrosion. I sprayed anti-rust lube on the screw head, let it soak for about an hour. Still, no go. Thanks.
Mine was very hard to turn. You might try using a blow dryer to heat or warm the area and try again
Old 04-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Assuming that you don't mean the ice kind of frozen, then the macerator is seized. The screwdriver slot is used to loose a mild plug, the kind that causes the fuse to blow. It should take WD-40 or excessive force to turn the shaft with a screwdriver. Turning the shaft back and forth with a screwdriver will (might) loosen the plug (TP or hair or ?) If the shaft turns 'relatively easily' with a screwdriver, and the fuse is good, but the pump won't turn, then the motor is likely burnt out. You could possibly use an electric drill with a screwdriver bit to spin the shaft and drain the tanks - if you aren't in a hurry, because a working motor may turn faster than does a drill.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #18

Billimgs , Alaska
Problem solved, using tip I found on Amazon associated with the Flo-Jet pump. Two-person operation: one person at the ready at the pump switch, other person with a screwdriver inserted in the impeller slot. Turn on pump simultaneously with moving screwdriver clockwise. Schazm! The pump worked and the rotational force knocked the screwdriver out of my hands. We're happy campers. Hope we don't have to do this often.
dwgaub is offline   Reply With Quote