Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2021, 10:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 Interstate 19
Hammondsport , New York
Macerator fuse location

I’m a new-to-me owner of an Interstate 19 Tommy Bahama. The sprinter is a 2019 model, but the sticker said it was a 2020 Airstream. Not sure that matters.

I have quite a few issues to work through and plan to take it to the Airstream dealer in Buffalo NY. Issues include a not-yet-functional LP system, awning not extending/retracting, step not extending/retracting, and macerator pump not operating. I am able to turn the blade manually so I don’t think it is stuck… hoping this might be a fuse issue.

I’ve studied the manual, including wiring diagrams, but I’m still stumped about where the fuse is located. I *think* it is in the box under the passenger side jump seat from reading prior posts in this forum. The labeling doesn’t make it obvious, though I believe there’s only a single 20A fuse there. Is that the likely one?

The grey and black valve controls work fine, the hose retract works fine. But when I flip the pump switch, nothing.
CavemanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:34 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
We are newer AI owners and learning the power and water systems takes time. You are correct, the macerator pump fuse is under the side jump seat on the driver’s side. I found the fuse designations in my Airstream manual. I think it’s available on line as well. Your step is run by the chassis battery and the fuses for chassis diagram came in a separate booklet for the Sprinter. Our AI also straddles two years. Sprinter is 2016 and the Airstream is 2017. Don’t get discouraged. It will be worth the learning curve once you hit the open road. We love it!
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:38 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 Interstate 19
Hammondsport , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLife View Post
I found the fuse designations in my Airstream manual. I think it’s available on line as well.
Thanks for the tips. I’m curious where you found the fuse designations. I’ve poured over the 2019 and 2020 manuals and I find vague references, plus wiring diagrams that are mostly indecipherable (and I’m an electrical engineer). I wonder if the manuals have changed a lot over the years, or if I’m just missing something right in front of my nose.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Something to consider:

The Airstream factory is over in Jackson Center OH. It's not a crazy long drive from your location. Service at the factory is normally first rate. Cost wise it's no better / no worse than the typical dealer.

Why make that drive? There are a number of dealers out there that are not as good as they should be when it comes to service. I know absolutely nothing at all about the dealer you are looking at using. They could be the best one in the world. I would check their "abilities" out .....

The downside of any RV service right now is getting an appointment. If the outfit is good, they are booked out a ways. Even if they aren't very good, there still may be a bit of a wait ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 05:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2020 Interstate 19
Hammondsport , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Why make that drive? There are a number of dealers out there that are not as good as they should be when it comes to service. I know absolutely nothing at all about the dealer you are looking at using. They could be the best one in the world. I would check their "abilities" out .....

The downside of any RV service right now is getting an appointment. If the outfit is good, they are booked out a ways. Even if they aren't very good, there still may be a bit of a wait ....

Bob
Thanks Bob - I’m definitely considering that. About a 9 hour drive for me. The NY options seem to be very far out… will try to talk to Airstream central tomorrow.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:26 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Mount Jackson , VA
Fuse label

I finally remembered that the fuses are labeled right next to each fuse in the 12v power system located under the jump seat. Macerate fuse is circuit 9 and 20 amps. We’ve replaced it a few times when our macerate kept jamming. The fuse protected the macerate as it should. Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A539D54-073A-4D6C-99BB-38CBC95D8D54.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	399956  
MountainLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:38 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanB View Post
Thanks Bob - I’m definitely considering that. About a 9 hour drive for me. The NY options seem to be very far out… will try to talk to Airstream central tomorrow.
Hi

Except for the inevitable construction, it's a pretty easy drive. I've done the interstate part of it a *lot* of times. If you are a Harvest Hosts member, there are some pretty good stopping points along the way to break up the drive.

Once you get to JC, the "camping" is free if you are getting service. Even if you aren't it's still dirt cheap for full hookups. The downside is that they come get your RV at some ungodly hour ( 7 AM ... I try to forget major trauma like that ... ). If you are in a van (with nothing in tow), you are sort of stuck there at the service area while they do the work.

With the border opening up, CanAm in Ontario might be on the list. I *assume* they do work on vans .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 Interstate 19
Hammondsport , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainLife View Post
I finally remembered that the fuses are labeled right next to each fuse in the 12v power system located under the jump seat. Macerate fuse is circuit 9 and 20 amps. We’ve replaced it a few times when our macerate kept jamming. The fuse protected the macerate as it should. Hope that helps.
Thanks so much - that’s exactly what I’ve been looking at and is nice to see that it is called out clearly on your labels.

I’ve attached mine - doesn’t help that the label was printed offset, clipping some of the text, but I don’t see macerator anywhere on mine. Am I missing something? Does this mean my fuse is likely elsewhere? Or just on one of these circuits but not actually labeled?

The 20 amp fuse in my panel is not blown, so I’m wondering if I actually have a blown pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0BAFA59F-24D3-4B10-82F6-00DA9D38A490.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	333.4 KB
ID:	400051  
Old 07-21-2021, 10:33 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Magnolia , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanB View Post
Thanks so much - that’s exactly what I’ve been looking at and is nice to see that it is called out clearly on your labels.

I’ve attached mine - doesn’t help that the label was printed offset, clipping some of the text, but I don’t see macerator anywhere on mine. Am I missing something? Does this mean my fuse is likely elsewhere? Or just on one of these circuits but not actually labeled?

The 20 amp fuse in my panel is not blown, so I’m wondering if I actually have a blown pump.
I downloaded your AI 19 owners manual. Looks like your macerator circuit is NOT on the regular fuse panel but on a separate fused busbar with self resetting circuit breakers (see pic1, yellow highlights below). That bus bar on mine is hiding behind a 4 screw panel to the left of the fuse box (see pics #2 and #3). If I were trying to troubleshoot this, I'd first test for 12 volt power at that busbar circuit (shows it as an orange/white wire on your wiring diagram). If no power there, then it's the circuit breaker. If power there, then test at the macerator switch, and then with the switch on, again at the pump. If the wire is hot all the way, it's the pump. If it's hot at the circuit breaker but not at the pump, then likely a problem with the switch.

WeekendBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I will say the complicated switch panel on the side of the van with controls for the macerator pump, the valves and the macerator hose reel is a festival of opportunity for dirty contacts that can interfere with operations.

At one point my macerator hose reel stopped retracting, though it would still unreel. Turns out the issue was a dirty contact behind that panel. I opened that panel, carefully slid each suspect wire, one at a time, off its respective pin, sprayed contact cleaner liberally about, and pushed the wire back onto the pin. Voila! Hose reel worked again. Super cheap fix, something to consider.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 Interstate 19
Hammondsport , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendBob View Post
I downloaded your AI 19 owners manual. Looks like your macerator circuit is NOT on the regular fuse panel but on a separate fused busbar with self resetting circuit breakers (see pic1, yellow highlights below).
I was wondering if the lack of a fuse indication on that drawing meant it was isolated that way. I know where to look now and will do some testing. THANK YOU all and I’ll report back soon.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
It’s usually the fuse on the power supply panel that blows. Don’t sweat it, they blow super easily for the macerator when and if you have problems. Pretty much when. It’s probably better for it to blow than you to have a major backup when it isn’t working quite properly and/or stuck, if you think about it in those terms.

My recommendation is to make sure you have a fuse kit with you at all times. You’ll thank yourself later.

I just replaced the fuse for the awning this spring. Thankfully I thought of checking the fuse and had a fuse with, otherwise I’d been listening to the warning beep for a two hour drive home. Just part of owning a RV, you have to learn to troubleshoot on the fly. Unfortunate to have issues from the start.

You might have a loose wire or broken wire under your Interstate. Not the easiest to crawl under it to check but might be worth your time, especially with your step not functioning either. They are fairly close to the same location, at least on our model.

Welcome to the owner’s club! Safe travels-
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Interesting that they changed to macerator from a blade fuse to a thermal breaker. On mine the thermal breakers are for the lounge motor, solar controlled to battery, Kenwood radio, gray/fresh heat pads, and a feed through the cut-off switch to the blade fuse panel. Guess that was their solution to blowing macerator fuses.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Good note Titus, I had missed that last post that they are not a fuse but a circuit breaker.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:18 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 Interstate 19
Hammondsport , New York
Update: tested voltage on the bus, at the switch, and at the pump. Had 12V / 12V / 10V so it looks like the pump is the problem. I have a mobile RV guy coming on Monday so hopefully a replacement is in our future. Thanks all for the help.
Old 07-09-2023, 03:39 PM   #16

Aptos , California
I also have a beeping noise we think from the awning. We have the awning strapped shut, and have taken the fuse out to help prevent deploying. But the fuse out still has the beeping. DO you know how to make it stop beeping?
dolsberryd is offline   Reply With Quote