Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Lug nut covers

We do not have the lug nut covers for our Alcoa aluminum wheels on our 2014 AI (we are the second owner, we bought it that way). I don't know if they were stolen or damaged when the wheels were taken off by the prior owner, but all 24 are missing.

I have been having trouble locating lug nut covers for these wheels. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to purchase these lug nut covers at a reasonable price?

Alternatively, is there a way to replace the lug nuts with chrome or stainless lug nuts that would not rust and would be more theft resistant? Or would this be cost prohibitive? I just want the rusted lug nuts (and I'm not sure why they are already rusty, less than 2 years old) cosmetically covered.
BrianKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
We do not have the lug nut covers for our Alcoa aluminum wheels on our 2014 AI (we are the second owner, we bought it that way). I don't know if they were stolen or damaged when the wheels were taken off by the prior owner, but all 24 are missing.

I have been having trouble locating lug nut covers for these wheels. Does anyone have any recommendations for where to purchase these lug nut covers at a reasonable price?

Alternatively, is there a way to replace the lug nuts with chrome or stainless lug nuts that would not rust and would be more theft resistant? Or would this be cost prohibitive? I just want the rusted lug nuts (and I'm not sure why they are already rusty, less than 2 years old) cosmetically covered.
Replacements are available very inexpensively from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-1954...rds=B00DTLVOXY

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Lug nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Replacements are available very inexpensively from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-1954...rds=B00DTLVOXY

- Bart
Are you sure these would fit the 2014 AI? It's on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis, so I would assume the lugs would be measured in mm instead of inches?

Are these actual lug nuts with a thread? If yes, I don't see any thread in the pic at Amazon. Or do they go on top of the existing lug nuts?

Also, I don't have the tools to switch out the lugs, any idea how much it might cost to have the lugs replaced at a local tire shop?
Old 10-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
I'm not sure why they are already rusty, less than 2 years old
Probably because they're high-carbon steel for strength, and high-carbon steel tends to rust.

You'd do better to replace them with solid stainless or chrome-plated nuts instead of using covers. Covers are not airtight or watertight and so the lug nuts with covers will still rust; you just can't see the rust.

However, light surface rust doesn't affect their strength, only their appearance. As long as the threads don't rust and as long as there's no deep pitting anywhere on the nuts, they'll still hold your wheels on just fine.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
Got nice chrome replacements from Costco when I had the crappy tires replaced on both new trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Quote:
Are you sure these would fit the 2014 AI? It's on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis, so I would assume the lugs would be measured in mm instead of inches?

Are these actual lug nuts with a thread? If yes, I don't see any thread in the pic at Amazon. Or do they go on top of the existing lug nuts?

Also, I don't have the tools to switch out the lugs, any idea how much it might cost to have the lugs replaced at a local tire shop?
Sorry, I missed that this was a Sprinter-based Airstream. I don't know what sort of lugs these use, but the link was to nuts, which go over the studs coming out of the hub. I'd guess these are likely to be 14 mm x 1.5 mm, but you'll need to verify that. Chrome-plated nuts to fit your sprinter chassis are no doubt easily available.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Lug size

Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Sorry, I missed that this was a Sprinter-based Airstream. I don't know what sort of lugs these use, but the link was to nuts, which go over the studs coming out of the hub. I'd guess these are likely to be 14 mm x 1.5 mm, but you'll need to verify that. Chrome-plated nuts to fit your sprinter chassis are no doubt easily available.

- Bart
The lugs measure approximately 19mm across, but I don't know if that means these nuts would fit (at 3/4", pretty much the same as 19mm)?
Old 10-04-2015, 05:52 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The lugs measure approximately 19mm across, but I don't know if that means these nuts would fit (at 3/4", pretty much the same as 19mm)?
The size of lug wrench that will fit the new nuts is the least important measurement of all. Much more important are thread diameter, thread pitch, and whether the seats are flat or 60° angled. You can always find a new lug wrench, if necessary, to fit whatever nuts you end up using, but only lug nuts with the right threads and seats will hold the wheel on.

Unfortunately I don't know off the top of my head what the right dimensions are.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
There was a thread here or on the Sprinter forum discussing the replacement of the OEM lug nuts w/ aftermarket chrome ones. Can't remember since I've never had mine off whether the Alcoa wheels are lug-centric or hub-centric which is what you'll need to know to determine if you need 60* ones flat ones.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Go to this thread for details on getting the correct lug nut covers for your Alcoa wheels.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131013

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Related issue is the possibility of locking lugs. I've done prelim research for our T1N and I've located the OEM MB part, but they don't seem to have been offered by anyone (MB or aftermarket) in a lockable version analogous to what's on my daily driver. My husband doesn't think it's a concern because it would be too difficult for anyone to strip wheels off a 9,000-lb Interstate, but I had wheels stolen off my daily driver before the locking versions became available, and it's not a good situation, obviously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0979.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	249728  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
The post below is from an earlier thread. They've been on the AI for over a year now and still look new.

After searching for weeks for a suitable lug nut for the Sprinter I believe I've finally found them. I ordered an acorn style nut with a washer designed to fit it. The lug nuts are Gorilla brand heat treated and the washers are Gorilla brand as well. I found the at a company called Brandsport in Eugene Oregon. I dealt with Eric there who was very helpful in working with me to come up with a solution. The lug nut part # is GRLA-91148HT The washer part no. is GRLA-77916 Eric's email address is eric@brandsport.com No more dealing with those caps falling off. I found one the other day in my driveway that had been run over
Attached Thumbnails
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:45 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Here's a link to Alcoa replacements including the center cap. Rear kit is at bottom of linked page.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...&SEName=021120
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:52 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Lug nut covers will not work on Mercedes version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiato View Post
Here's a link to Alcoa replacements including the center cap. Rear kit is at bottom of linked page.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...&SEName=021120
Although it states on that page: "Lug nut covers will not work on Mercedes version." This would only work for the Dodge Sprinter van.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:56 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Lug nut or cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff64 View Post
The post below is from an earlier thread. They've been on the AI for over a year now and still look new.

After searching for weeks for a suitable lug nut for the Sprinter I believe I've finally found them. I ordered an acorn style nut with a washer designed to fit it. The lug nuts are Gorilla brand heat treated and the washers are Gorilla brand as well. I found the at a company called Brandsport in Eugene Oregon. I dealt with Eric there who was very helpful in working with me to come up with a solution. The lug nut part # is GRLA-91148HT The washer part no. is GRLA-77916 Eric's email address is eric@brandsport.com No more dealing with those caps falling off. I found one the other day in my driveway that had been run over
Attached Thumbnails
So are these actual lug nuts? Or covers? If lug nuts, did you have to take your RV in at a tire shop to get all of the lugs replaced? About how much was it to have them all replaced?
Old 10-16-2015, 06:44 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Quote:
Although it states on that page: "Lug nut covers will not work on Mercedes version." This would only work for the Dodge Sprinter van.

Interesting that there is a difference between the two. Why? Who knows. But, that set up will work on Sprinters that have the Alcoa wheels.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:50 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Quote:
So are these actual lug nuts? Or covers? If lug nuts, did you have to take your RV in at a tire shop to get all of the lugs replaced? About how much was it to have them all replaced?

Those are actual lug nuts that replace the factory nuts and aftermarket lug nut chrome covers. I wouldn't take that to a tire shop. Just DIY in your driveway one or several nuts at a time.

I actually like that solution better than the cheapo covers. May have to email the fellow referenced in Jeff's post.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:57 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
Closed chrome lug nuts for a Sprinter?

My wife and I just purchased a 2011 Airstream Interstate built on a 2008 Freightliner chassis. Several of the chrome lug nut covers have come off and replacing the covers looks like a losing battle. I found a post (from 2014) by Boxster1971 identifying

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-28563-611-295.aspx?

as the factory lug nuts for Airstream Interstates, but Dorman only includes first generation Dodge Sprinters (both 2500 and 3500 models) from 2003 to 2006 in the applications list for part 611-295. I presume that Boxster1971 is correct and that Dorman's application list is incomplete. According the various posts that I have seen on this forum, when chrome covers are installed over the factory lug nuts, the outside diameter of the lug nuts increases from 19mm to 21mm.

Dorman also lists at least two closed, chrome lug nuts, namely 611-264 and 611-268, that meet the specifications listed by Boxter1971 EXCEPT for the hex size and length. Both of these closed chrome lug nuts have a hex size of 21mm (matching the factory lug nuts plus cap covers). Their respective lengths are 51.83mm and 52.5mm, about 3/4" longer than the factory nuts plus covers, which I presume is a disadvantage. The application lists for both lug nuts only include Ford F250 and F350 models. The lists overlap but are not identical which seems strange. Are the any reasons why these lug nuts would not work on an Airstream Interstate?
ponderosaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:51 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

The Woodlands , Texas
I did more searching and found the following closed (sometimes called "dome" or "acorn") lug nuts with integrated washers (like the OEM Sprinter lug nuts):

http://prime-industries.myshopify.co...her-1-1-16-hex

which I purchased instead of either of Dorman products, because the Prime Industries nuts clearly included integrated washers that would not score the wheels as the nuts were tightened. I think the black bases on the Dorman lug nuts are probably integrated washers as well but the online pictures were ambiguous and I have not had the opportunity to actually examine the nuts. The Dorman nuts are smaller than the Prime Industries nuts that I bought which may be an advantage. The Prime Industries nuts look rather imposing on the front wheels of our RV.

Since many of the lug nuts sold by Prime Industries are stainless steel, I was hoping that the nuts I purchased would be as well, but they are chrome plated. Time will tell how well that plating holds up. I paid a total of about $50 including shipping for 24 lug nuts, which compares favorably with the cost of the washers in the washer + conical lug nut system suggested by Jeff64. I am not claiming that the Prime Industries closed end lug nuts that I bought are superior to washers + conical lug nuts. I chose the Prime Industries option because it was less expensive and I wanted to avoid dealing with separate washers and lug nuts. When I buy new tires for my RV at Discount Tire or equivalent, the lug nuts will not appreciably differ from those on my Honda Civic SI.

Incidentally, I found the new lug nuts much easier to tighten than the OEM nuts because their contact area with a deep socket (27mm) is much larger and less likely to slip. Some of the OEM lug nuts that I removed already had rusty, rounded corners yet my RV only has 20K miles on the odometer.

After replacing all of the OEM nuts and covers with closed end nuts, I am amazed that Airstream Interstate owners tolerate the separate lug-nut-and-cover system because it makes it difficult to maintain lug nut torque specifications and perform any maintenance operations (like changing a tire) that involve removing a wheel. Earlier today, I decided to increase the torque on my new lug nuts from 130 lb-ft to 140 lb-ft, which took about two minutes. With the Alcoa lug nut and cover system, it would take much longer, perhaps as much as half an hour if done conscientiously. Removing and placing the covers is tedious, time-consuming process and the covers inevitably get lost. Our used 2010 Airstream Interstate [my reference to purchasing a 2011 Airstream Interstate in my earlierposting was incorrect] was missing about six covers when we purchased it; it was impeccably maintained otherwise.

At any rate, there are integral, closed end lug nuts replacements available for the OEM lug open lug nuts + covers.
ponderosaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Good information - thanks for posting. Is there a reason you increased the lug nut torque above the recommended 130 ft/lbs?

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote