Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2019, 05:30 PM   #21
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
And it is out...

A couple of things that I noticed...

Instruction on the regulator mentions that is should be mounted with the vent facing down... mine was facing up. Edit: But it says "...to be installed under protective cover OR with the vent opening vertically down"... so I guess that is not the issue... it was under a cover, so that disclaimer is just to satisfy the legal aspect of the install

Also the black plastic cap was loose... Not by much but enough that I noticed it when I inspected just now...

So I am going to file a warranty claim... but first I will tighten the black cap all the way, install it, and check again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9341.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	344232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9342.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	344233  

Name:	IMG_9343.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	344234  
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #22
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
And it is out...

A couple of things that I noticed...

Instruction on the regulator mentions that is should be mounted with the vent facing down... mine was facing up. Edit: But it says "...to be installed under protective cover OR with the vent opening vertically down"... so I guess that is not the issue... it was under a cover, so that disclaimer is just to satisfy the legal aspect of the install

Also the black plastic cap was loose... Not by much but enough that I noticed it when I inspected just now...

So I am going to file a warranty claim... but first I will tighten the black cap all the way, install it, and check again.
You ARE INDEED an International Man of Mystery. Congratulations! Well played, and a man after my own heart!

So... yep. Didn't need the soap at all, didja?

Wow... I've never seen one do that. Nor have I ever seen a gas pressure regulator that looks like that one.

Now I'm anxious to hear how the re-install with the black-screw-in thingy goes and whether that makes any difference. And if it DOES... how in the world do you keep it from backing out again? I didn't see any evidence of loc-tite or pipe dope or anything similar.

Fascinating!
Old 06-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #23

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
You ARE INDEED an International Man of Mystery. Congratulations! Well played, and a man after my own heart!

So... yep. Didn't need the soap at all, didja?

Wow... I've never seen one do that. Nor have I ever seen a gas pressure regulator that looks like that one.

Now I'm anxious to hear how the re-install with the black-screw-in thingy goes and whether that makes any difference. And if it DOES... how in the world do you keep it from backing out again? I didn't see any evidence of loc-tite or pipe dope or anything similar.

Fascinating!
Tightening that black cap did nothing...

And yes, I did sprayed it all with soapy water as you suggested... that is what you see in the video. See! I know how to follow instructions

I need a new one ... will file a warranty claim asap.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #24
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Tightening that black cap did nothing...

And yes, I did sprayed it all with soapy water as you suggested... that is what you see in the video. See! I know how to follow instructions

I need a new one ... will file a warranty claim asap.
That's a whopping $20 part. Amazing. The innerds (diaphragm) must have failed... it looks like it was venting all of the pressure right to atmosphere.

Good luck!

https://www.jmesales.com/gas-flo-low...as-regulators/
Old 06-23-2019, 06:34 PM   #25

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
That's a whopping $20 part...
Or over twice that if you do not search and just go straight to Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Oh, I just tried buying it from that link you provided and they do not have it in stock....

Thank you anyway! I will order one as spare as I initially intended to do when I was making the list of spare parts...
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #26
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Or over twice that if you do not search and just go straight to Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Oh, I just tried buying it from that link you provided and they do not have it in stock....

Thank you anyway! I will order one as spare as I initially intended to do when I was making the list of spare parts...
Well, isn't THAT a bummer. At least you can get one! Well done!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:08 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Wonder if the black cap is to adjust the pressure? Or maybe you remove it to get to screw slot in the white plastic, and turning the white slot adjusts the pressure. Don't understand why the black peg goes into the hole in the white plastic. Do you know what to set the pressure at?

I remember that the foil cover wasn't fastened very well over my regulator. They apparently did that when doing the regulator recall repair before I purchased it. Didn't look to see which way my vent faced.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #28
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Wonder if the black cap is to adjust the pressure? Or maybe you remove it to get to screw slot in the white plastic, and turning the white slot adjusts the pressure. Don't understand why the black peg goes into the hole in the white plastic. Do you know what to set the pressure at?

I remember that the foil cover wasn't fastened very well over my regulator. They apparently did that when doing the regulator recall repair before I purchased it. Didn't look to see which way my vent faced.
I believe that the black cap is merely the dust cap. You're probably correct in that the white disk adjusts the pressure. The black peg likely just keeps it all in alignment. I believe in his case that the diaphragm is damaged and the regulator is venting lp straight to atmosphere. There's no adjusting this one.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:11 PM   #29

Orlando , Florida
Quote:

Quote:
I believe that the black cap is merely the dust cap. You're probably correct in that the white disk adjusts the pressure. The black peg likely just keeps it all in alignment. I believe in his case that the diaphragm is damaged and the regulator is venting lp straight to atmosphere. There's no adjusting this one.
Yes, black cap is just that, cover cap... I thought it served a different purpose.

Plastic cover over regulator on mine (that then had some foil tape over the holes they cut to allow for the hoses to go through) was secured with two plastic plugs into the metal plate below it.

Another thing that I did, and do not remember if it was mentioned in this forum or FB page, was to put a cover over the hose that connects to the output side of the regulator. Someone mentioned it was rubbing against the leaf spring... sure enough, mine was too.

For now I just used some plastic wire loom cover I had, but will be buying a better abrasion resistant sleeve...I used all the abrasive protection braided sleeve I had for the batterie cables, need to get more.

A few photos (plastic bag with a tie-wrap was just to keep fitting clean while the regulator gets here...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9344.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	344245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9346.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	344246  

Name:	IMG_9349.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	344247  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #30

Orlando , Florida
I have not heard from Airstream, will call them tomorrow to follow up.

The regulator I ordered did arrive today, so I will install this one for now to get it back in working order.

Once I receive the warranty replacement, I will keep that one as a spare.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9353.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	344515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9354.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	344516  

Name:	IMG_9355.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	344517  
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #31
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I used a manometer to check gas pressure on my trailers. I still have the manometer in my workshop, but I have never checked on either AI. My manometer has a magnet at the top and I would stick it to one of the posts in the storage bay while I filled and connected it.

There may be a port on the AI water heater that you can tap into, otherwise you can check at the stove. There should be 11" of gas pressure, measured with gas flowing. You can use whichever one you are not using for measurement to provide the flow. For the trailers, I always lit all burners on the stove and checked pressure at the refrigerator.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:42 AM   #32

Orlando , Florida
Regulator replaced, checked for leaks with the trusted soapy water test... all is back to normal. Now to call Airstream to see where they are with my claim.

Either way, I am getting a spare one to have in the AI in case this happens again it will not ruin any future trip.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-26-2019, 03:47 PM   #33
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Regulator replaced, checked for leaks with the trusted soapy water test... all is back to normal. Now to call Airstream to see where they are with my claim.

Either way, I am getting a spare one to have in the AI in case this happens again it will not ruin any future trip.
Good job! I just had my OWN LP woes... the high-pressure fill line on my '04 Interstate was rotted out... so I took it to the local dealer who fabricated a new one and installed it to the tune of $500! BUT the propane tank filled and held pressure and I thought that I might have gotten off pretty easily... until I ran out of propane on a 120 mile trip. The refrigerator wouldn't light. Nor would the stove and the generator wouldn't start. The sensor panel doesn't even SHOW the propane tank, much less the level. I've not used ANY propane to speak of since it was filled. So I got it filled again and left the valve on overnight. I got up the following morning and the propane sensor was screaming. (Obviously I wasn't sleeping in the van.) So I shut it off and made arrangements to take it back to the dealer for troubleshooting.

So, the furnace gas valve is leaking... as is the water heater valve, and the 80% over-flow valve apparently was leaking slightly at the threads. The parts are ordered.

So... the troubleshooting, parts, and labor to repair everything is going to be $850. But FINALLY my $12k Interstate (now with about $14k invested) will be road-ready with all systems functioning as designed. And it's about time!
Old 06-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Not sure how old my primary regualator is but it could be 25 years old.

The regulator has an oily/ greasy residue near the seam that holds the upper and lower sections together. I cleaned the residue and tightened the screws that holds the upper and lower sections (twice) but it still leaks. It does not appear to be leaking propane. Has anyone else had this experience?

The same problem happened on a previous regulator on another vintage Airstream and this one failed completely.

I bought a replacement but have not done the switch yet. The old regulator is still working.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:03 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Do you know what pressure the new regulator was set at, and whether that pressure was correct? Perhaps there is only one pressure that is 'standard' and they (hopefully) set it to that pressure. I see Pahaska says 11" H2O for a trailer. I assume the Interstate is the same. I wonder if you should check it with the generator running - as I assume it uses more gas than either the water heater of stove. Or maybe the amount of gas flowing is not that important.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #36

Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Do you know what pressure the new regulator was set at, and whether that pressure was correct? Perhaps there is only one pressure that is 'standard' and they (hopefully) set it to that pressure.
I do not... I thought this was a remove and replace procedure. Now I understand John's comment.

I did fire up everything (one by one and then all at the same time) that runs on propane to test it was all working.
WBCCI #26769
Old 06-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #37
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Do you know what pressure the new regulator was set at, and whether that pressure was correct? I see Pahaska says 11" H2O for a trailer. I assume the Interstate is the same.
1"" is standard for all RVs. That is what is expected at the stove and is standard for tank-type RV water heaters. There is nothing in the tankless WH install directions that calls for any other pressure.

I carried the manometer in my trailer and, over the years, helped a lot of fellow Airstreamers that had poor refrigerator performance by correcting their pressures. I mostly saw low pressures caused by the regulator getting tired.

I think the main thing is to have some flow occurring while the pressure is being checked.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote