Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Low-point drain valve

I know this is such a noob question but what position is the handle in when the valve is open? parallel or perpendicular?

I never seem to get this correct.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Parallel
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Another check is to see if there's water on the ground behind the curbside duals and on the ground near the street-side furnace exhaust.

Just remember that cross-wise blocks the flow.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Thanks everyone. Started to winterize today and was confused because of the two points under the freezer for the water pump had one turned one way and one turned the other. When they worked on the fridge they must have turned these off and then forgot to turn one back on. Haven't used the water pump since I got it back.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Another way to remember this, that we used to teach electronics technicians about water valves was, "righty tighty, lefty loosey". Turn the valve to the right and it closes, to the left and it opens.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Guess that theory works depending on which way you approach the valve. Are you laying on your back looking up at the valve or are you reaching underneath from outside the trailer? Could get confusing for some. I just turned mine until water came out. If I forget to close it after winterizing, it would become apparent when you started to charge the lines in the spring.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqdor View Post
. . .
I just turned mine until water came out. If I forget to close it after winterizing, it would become apparent when you started to charge the lines in the spring.
Now we're talkin' !!!

Good old-fashioned common sense . . .

The low-point and water tank drain valves come in all kinds of configurations IMO, so it is very difficult to provide accurate fail-proof advice to another poster here about his or her valve, unless you have an identical trailer or motor home including the model year. The OP has a 2015 Interstate MH, so advice from trailer owners seems unsound IMO, unless they know the layout of a 2015 Interstate model matching the OP's unit.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote