Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Low Point Drain for Freshwater Tank

So Iíve been hotfooting it home because of the coronavirus, and paid someone to winterize for me this morning, because I just didnít want to deal with it.

Got home, 6 hours later, emptying the rig and notice about 10 gallons of water still in the freshwater tank.

Called him, he presumed everything was empty, didnít ask me and didnít look.

He apparently put antifreeze in thru the city water portal, told me there is a low point drain just for the freshwater tank, which I can use.

If only I can find it.

Look in my service manual, you say? Well, I would be glad to if I hadn't left it there after looking something up for him.

They are mailing it back to me, meantime would anyone know where that drain would be located?

I canít find anything underneath, but canít get completely under the rig because even if I could they would have to send a rescue squad to get me out as there is not only very little clearance but I am on concrete so there is no ďslidingĒ of any kind.

Anyone know where the low point drain for the freshwater tank is?

This tank is under the galley, curbside. This is the picture under there, that valve you see doesnít seem to be it.

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0B8B1226-1BF4-4E4E-80F1-1180932EDE0C.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	363484  

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
You could send a PM to Protagonist?

I will look online for your manual.

Download or View here:

https://www.airstream.com/owners/man.../tc/year/2007/

Winterizing p. G-11 is pathetic IMO.
Drain valves p. G-9:

"On the Mid bath model the fresh water tank drain valve is located by the water pump
under the galley.

"The hot and cold water lines drain valves are located under the motorhome
on the roadside just behind the floor board and in front of the holding tank
dump valves."

In your photo, is the device in the red enclosure, with wires leading to it, behind the blue bag, the water pump? Above there way in the back, there appears to be a fitting going into the bottom of the tank, which is hidden in the photo. Is there a drain valve hidden up there?

Good luck,

Peter

Let the music lift you up . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Here you go, page E-6 https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-183.pdf . Stop freaking people out about the Chinese Covid-19 cold! If everyone does their part we will get through this.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have never looked the manual up before.

Thank you.

Maggie

Old 03-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
On page 69 of that manual, it shows the valve in my picture as the drain valve for the freshwater tank, but when I turn that nothing happens.

Maggie

Old 03-18-2020, 04:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I may have to run a space heater out there for the freezing nights coming up.

Maggie

Old 03-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
On page 69 of that manual, it shows the valve in my picture as the drain valve for the freshwater tank, but when I turn that nothing happens.

Maggie

If you are looking at the illustration on that page [PDF p. 69/99], it is for H/C shut-off valves, not the tank drain valve IMO.

Poor manual writing, to put that illustration directly under the upper heading "Drain Valve Locations" IMO.

Please see my earlier post when you have a chance, with questions about your pump in your photo.

Electric heater overnight is a good idea.

Peter

Old 03-18-2020, 04:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is what I’m reading...

“On the Mid bath model the fresh water tank drain valve is located by the water pump under the galley. The hot and cold water lines drain valves are located under the mo- torhome on the roadside just behind the floor board and in front of the holding tank dump valves.”

That’s what is in the picture I posted.

I did send a pm to Protag.

Maggie

Old 03-18-2020, 04:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Not sure we are reading from the same page here, so I will bow out. If you can get a heater out there for the night, it will give you a chance to review all the posts [incl. #2] and the manual in more detail.

And welcome home!

Good luck,

Peter

Old 03-18-2020, 04:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for your help, Peter.

Protag isn’t familiar with those details of my model year, I have pm’d InterBlog, who I should have thought of first.

Seriously, when I turn that valve nothing happens. Am afraid to force it.

Maggie

Old 03-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBiker View Post
Stop freaking people out about the Chinese Covid-19 cold!
That was rude! Maggie wasn't freaking anybody out about anything. She was just saying what she did ("hotfooting it home due to the bleep") that led up to the current problem of needing to find the freshwater drain valve. If one (not naming names) wishes to freak out at the mere mention of the word "bleep" regardless of the context, one shouldn't blame the person who used the word "bleep" for one's state of agitation. Of course, since I've used the word twice in this post— albeit bleeped out— clearly I must be trying to freak people out, too?
Old 03-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Unless it is very cold, it will take some time for 10 gallons to freeze, even then it is very unlikely to damage the tank or piping. Still, A space heater at 45-50F is not a bad idea. Given that the technician didn't drain the fresh tank, then the water pump and fittings near the water pump are likely not protected either. You might consider opening the outside shower cold water valve and just pumping the water out, then unscrew the pump screen shown in the photo and that will protect the pump from ice expansion. If it's going to be avove freezing tomorrow I wouldn't bother though.

The pictured valve sure looks like a drain valve. Strange nothing emptied.....
Old 03-18-2020, 05:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Brian.

I may back it out of my drive and onto level ground tomorrow, and play with it some more, see if anything happens.

There is an external shower hookup but no shower there. I suspect the previous owners had it freeze on them, and never replaced it.

We are not supposed to have freezing temps until Friday night, and then thru the weekend.

If I can’t get the water out of there, I’ll run a small space heater with the lower doors open, which should take care of it.

Maggie

Old 03-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Most drain valves [trailers anyway] have an open pipe on the "drain" end of the valve, so that water can just drain out by gravity. Your photo, and the illustration in the manual, only shows valves that have a closed pipe on both sides of the drain valve, so they don't look like traditional drain valves IMO. Maybe one of your pipes discharges under the RV? [so you don't drip water inside the mechanical space] If so, you should be able to see water dripping down when you open the correct valve.

If you found the correct valve, and it did not budge, it may be frozen closed, and you were wise not to force it for now. I forget where you got this unit after your accident . . . in the SW maybe? Is it possible they never had to drain the fresh water tank?

If you can get some better photos of that hidden area I mentioned in Post #2, we might be able to make some more-informed guesses. Can you hold your phone in there and get some shots, without having to preview the shots on the screen? You can review these later and pick the best one to post.

Peter

PS -- Assuming that large flat white-ish shape, at the top of your photo, is your water tank, maybe try this. There is a white plastic knurled connection, which appears to send water to the tank, just to the right of what I think is an inline pressure regulator, or an anti-siphon valve. We have connectors like this at our pump, and they are fairly easy to undo by hand. If you undo that connection, water should drain out of the tank IMO, but it will drip all over, so have some plastic containers, or sheeting, to catch or divert that water to the outside. Towels too.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, Peter.

I will work on this again tomorrow.

My brain canít handle one...more...thing...tonight.

Maggie

Old 03-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I missed this in your earlier post, Peter.

In your photo, is the device in the red enclosure, with wires leading to it, behind the blue bag, the water pump? Above there way in the back, there appears to be a fitting going into the bottom of the tank, which is hidden in the photo. Is there a drain valve hidden up there?

Tomorrow.

Maggie

Old 03-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Bayou,
That was unnecessary. It seemed like you were wanting to help Maggie out but then you had to throw a passive aggressive insult in there. She is a Solo traveler who was trying to make it home in a timely fashion and take care of business enoute.

Your quote is:
"Stop freaking people out about the Chinese Covid-19 cold!"

It is not just a cold and it does not need to be addressed with the word Chinese.

If you haven't noticed this is mostly a polite forum with occasional bad behavior on the hitch related threads. People who want to stir more than help usually move on to other online forums.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

Maggie
What makes you think you have 10 gallons of fresh water? The gauge might not be that accurate.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I can see it.

My freshwater tank is under the galley.

Maggie

Old 03-19-2020, 08:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
There is no low point drain per se, in the way we typically understand it, in this model.

There's only the purge valve installed in the side of the tank (visible in the pics) that leads to a PVC drain line under the van.

There's always going to be a water residual in the fresh tank, although it can generally drain down to about an inch or so via gravity through the side port.

If / when that last inch freezes, it should have adequate expansion room in the tank so as to not cause damage.

Have I ever tested this non-damage hypothesis? Nope. But nobody else has ever bellowed about that type of tank damage on this forum, so my guess is that it will be OK.

Is there an alternative? Yeah... one could try to drain parked on a steep hill with the nose down. Would that be necessary? I doubt it.

This is why I purge my fresh water as often as I do, sometimes every 2 weeks. I can never get that tank totally evacuated, and so the only way for me to be comfortable with it is to keep cycling through tank after tank of purge water that goes into it with a municipally-compliant chlorine residual.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote