Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2020, 08:18 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, IB, I am about to go back out to bring in the freezables and see what I can get going with that valve.

Stay safe,

Maggie
Old 03-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
You are welcome - that is what we are here for.

I am late on the reply above because I eloped to rural Texas yesterday afternoon and I wasn't checking email. As I noted on my other thread, I don't plan to leave Texas, but I'm moving around now, just in case there are further restrictions on us going forward. Might as well seize the opportunity.

I didn't drive to rural Texas, or decamp to rural Texas, or travel to rural Texas. We now have to think about using terms like "absconded" and "eloped".

But hey, I've never been more socially isolated than I am right now.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Don't have the same rig as you do, Maggie, but our fresh water tank leaves about an inch or so of water in it when we drain it. Through our loooong Minnesota winters, we've never had a problem with that last bit of water freezing in the tank. There's plenty of room for expansion. Don't worry about it too much....

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
. . .
There's only the purge valve installed in the side of the tank (visible in the pics) that leads to a PVC drain line under the van.
. . .
Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
. . .
. . . I am about to go back out to bring in the freezables and see what I can get going with that valve.
. . .
Maggie, when you open this valve, be sure to verify that water is discharging under the van. Can you read the red lettering on that valve handle? I forgot to mention this last night. Bet it says something relevant.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After IB and Lotus54 telling me that the oval handle in the picture is actually the drain valve for the freshwater tank, I went back to it a bit ago, turned it as they described and let it sit like that while I removed the rest of the freezables.

I wouldn’t have returned to that valve without these two owners of similar rigs informing me it was the right one.

When I went back out...VOILA!!!...it was draining, onto my driveway.

Maybe it just needed a minute, air in there or something.

I’m just going to leave it open for now, as I have to drive it a little tomorrow, and hopefully all will be good.

Thanks, folks!

Maggie

P.S. there is no red lettering on there, Peter, tho it does say VALVE.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I’m glad it worked out.
I have a copy of the manual on my iPad- comes in handy sometimes. Although I prefer paper manuals in general.

Yes, pointed downhill on this model with drain all but a little bit. I like to drain it, then add a gallon or three of water with a bit of bleach. Drive around to slosh it- then pump it through the rest (just for sanitizing of course- AFTER the freeze).
Then drain, put a bit in - flush.
After that whatever little bit left is pretty well diluted by all the fresh water.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 02:32 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And thanks for your help.

I’ve added a note to my Winterization list, what and where that valve is.

Maggie
Old 03-21-2020, 03:07 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
2019 27' International
Cheyenne , Wyoming
If the tech did not use the pump for the antifreeze, you may need to get the water out of the pump.

The tank on our Bambi has a drain similar to your picture, but it also has a low point drain right after the pump. After the tank is empty I open the low point drain and run the pump for a few minutes to get the water out of the filter and pump.

I am not sure from the picture if this will work for you so you may want to check with IB to make sure you get the pump drained.
Wyo Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for those suggestions.

He assures me he did use the pump, so we’ll see.

If I have problems come the spring thaw, I will be back in touch with that provider.

I sent in a write up of what happened, and a picture of my freshwater tank about 1/4 full.

Maggie