Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2023, 08:27 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
wilton , New York
Looking for info: Replacing Solar controller with Victron interstate 2015

Looking for info: Replacing Solar controller with Victron interstate 2015

Im looking for any info on replacing the stock solar controller on my 2015 interstate. I have searched the forum, the web and YouTube for specific help with a 2015 interstate or something similar but couldn't find anything helpful/

I have done Victron module installs before on my old van but it was a fresh install.

I believe my stock controller is under the lounge and is pretty small. I should be able to find it.

My questions are:

Can the wires on the stock controller just be cut and sent to the Victron? (Solar + - and Battery + -)

Is there anything special in the interstate about wiring it up properly?
TravelerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 12:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
FWIW, on my 15 lounge the advice I got and followed for more solar charging was:

1. Replace the stock precision circuits BIMÖit will not allow any solar charging until your house batteries drop below 80%. I switched mine to a blue sea Ml-ACR.

2. If you have the stock 100 W flex solar panel on your rig, it wonít do much to charge your batteries regardless of your solar controller. I added 300 W of fixed and then also changed the solar controller to an MPPT one.
Old 04-10-2023, 02:20 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

wilton , New York
I dug in and figured it all out.

The stock controller was in the bottom corner to the right of the break panel (from the back) and was hard to find at first. I had to remove the top panel (under the lounge) and the back panel to reach it.

The wires are labeled (Bat + - & PV +) so I just cut them (after turning off all power and disconnecting solar panels) and spliced them into wires that I ran from the Victron to the same (Bat + - & PV +) terminals.

I fired it all up and it works great. I don't have lithium, so I don't need a new BIM yet. Seems to be charging better than the old one and everything is running perfectly. I have 2 rigid panels and the original flex panel pumping 6.6A at 121w with very off axis sun. Im happy and took about 1/2 hour.

I plan to install a new BIM and some lithium batteries next. Im prob gonna go with a pair of group 24 sized 100 ah.

I believe I can just get a new head unit/controller panel for the maxima inverter in order to handle the lithium? Is that correct?

For the BIM, has anyone used the victron and swapped it out? I had installed one in my old van (2005 sprinter) and it worked incredibly well. I like the victron stuff so that I can just go to the Victron app on my phone and see everything.
TravelerX is offline   Reply With Quote