Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Pembroke Pines , Florida
Looking for flat tow car

We are looking for a small flat tow car to pull behind our airstream B class that is all ready set up for towing. I called several dealers to see if they have any cars like that on trade in. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a website dedicated to such vehicles. Searched RV trader and could not find a single car. Prefer something like a Fiat 500 or similar. We are located in Miami. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thank you
Sailmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmiami View Post
We are looking for a small flat tow car to pull behind our airstream B class that is all ready set up for towing. I called several dealers to see if they have any cars like that on trade in. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a website dedicated to such vehicles. Searched RV trader and could not find a single car. Prefer something like a Fiat 500 or similar. We are located in Miami. Any suggestions will be welcome. Thank you
Don't know about your area but in my search for a Fiat 500 the best deal I found new was in Tempe, AZ. Around 12k + fees on a 2018. (30% off list) I wound up going with a new 18 Abarth I found in WA state at 25% off list. It will cost around 4K to do the complete towing setup with towbar, baseplate, brakes, etc. Camping World currently has their $59 install sale and I'm trying to get a quote from them. Should save about a thou. Be sure you get one with a 5 speed stick. The nice feature of the Fiats is you don't have to do anything fancy to tow. No pulling fuses or transmission procedures. Just put it in neutral and go. BTW if you look at 19 Fiats, they are not listed in Motorhome Magazine's flat tow guide but it is an omission on their part. I verified with Fiat that the 500 Pop and Abarth for 2019 can be flat towed. Good Luck.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum!

FYI the new search function in the blue box above [desktop version of this site] works very well, and here are the results for "Interstate toad" --

https://www.google.com/search?q=Inte...com&gws_rd=ssl

. . . which include these fairly recent threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ad-179843.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...on-174833.html

"Fiat 500" results: https://www.google.com/search?q=Fiat...=airforums.com

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 07:06 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Lafayette , Louisiana
I have used two different KIA Soul with manual transmission. Both work great.
Put both kits on them myself. Saved much. I also tow a VW beetle with manual transmission. Also put kit on myself. Have both Tow Master and Blue Ox tow bars. Both types of car tow fine.
drgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Is anyone here towing a Fiat 500 Pop or Abarth? Does your setup require a drop receiver to level the towbar?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 04-03-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
How we miss our Abarth... that is one little angry Italian car with an awesome exhaust note... a true driver's car.

Glad to read that it is a great car for using for this...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'd never recommend anyone buy a Fiat, having owned one, way back.
However there are a lot of vehicles that can be flat towed. In the manual it's called "recreational towing". The basics are simple, if the wheels are turning your transmission, it needs lubrication. If the lube pump is run off the engine that's bad because the engine is not running. If it's running off the drive shaft, that's good, the drive shaft turns. There are companies that provide aftermarket pumps. Remco, for one.
If it's a 4 wheel drive, then you can put the transfer case in neutral.
Look at what people are towing, I see a lot of Honda CRV's.
Used to see a lot of Saturns, sad to see them fold.
I even see an occasional Smart being flat towed.

How about this database of towable cars?
http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Is anyone here towing a Fiat 500 Pop or Abarth? Does your setup require a drop receiver to level the towbar?
Thanks,
Bill

Anynone, anyone, Bueller?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:47 AM   #9
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Folks I’m not going to make a recommendation only a comment relayed to me years ago from a coworker and his dads MOHO.

The toad was a Suzuki samurai stick shift IIRC behind a motor home. No problem.

They packed “stuff” into the toad like storage space, seems reasonable right.

A near panic stop to avoid a collision we assume. Nothing happened towing continues.

Later they go to start the toad, nothing good happened, the engine was ruined destroyed kaput. Got it?

What happened?

During panic stop a piece of the “stuff” they packed in as cargo bumped the stick and put the trans in gear. Now the little engine that could became the engine that can’t. It’s lost to history if the engine was being turned backwards or at warp RPM until it was destroyed.

Moral of story, don’t let any cargo have a chance to bump your stick shift and put it in gear.

Carry on

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
On smarts, the key can not be removed in neutral. On my smart, I have one key that I drilled out the pin that holds the fob to the key shaft. I put the smart in neutral and remove the key fob. The car can not be started and the key is locked in place. The fob goes into the AI.

As an additional safety, I installed a battery cutoff switch. That prevents the computer from ever stating up.

I just got back from towing the smart about 1500 miles and driving it about 250 miles during the trip..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Just thinking outside the box, but does anyone tow an electric car like a Chevy Volt?
Seems that eliminates the problem of transmissions.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Just thinking outside the box, but does anyone tow an electric car like a Chevy Volt?
Seems that eliminates the problem of transmissions.
I don't know of any electric or hybrid toads that don't require a tow dolly or trailer. There may not be a transmission per se, but as far as I know, the electric motor that turns the wheels still turns when the vehicle is being towed. That can lead to a completely different set of problems…
Old 04-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Sanford , Arizona
A Chevy Spark flat tows. It is basic, but I loved mine. It was my commute-to-work car. My 3/4 ton HD Suburban got terrible around-town mileage. It was my tow vehicle for our horses/trailer, and started out as our tow vehicle for our 2019 Globetrotter.

Cute, not sexy, but a reliable get-around-car. I joke with my husband that if we ever got an Interstate I would buy another girly colored Spark and it would be our toad. [emoji4]

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sue new Spark.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	337323
SewStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"I'd never recommend anyone buy a Fiat, having owned one, way back."

FLASHBACK!

As some of you may know, I just retired after 35 years as a manufacturers rep. So about 40 years ago, I was pulling wrenches as a hobby/budding passion/pre career. I accepted a job on a friend's spider. Literally, everything I touched broke in my hands. I swore I'd never work on one again, and to this day, I am true to my oath.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:58 PM   #15
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
"I'd never recommend anyone buy a Fiat, having owned one, way back."

FLASHBACK!

As some of you may know, I just retired after 35 years as a manufacturers rep. So about 40 years ago, I was pulling wrenches as a hobby/budding passion/pre career. I accepted a job on a friend's spider. Literally, everything I touched broke in my hands. I swore I'd never work on one again, and to this day, I am true to my oath.
We had three FIAT 500 (500C and two Abarths)... never had an issue with any of them. Very inexpensive to maintain, comfortable getting in an out, and a pleasure to drive...

The 1981 FIAT Spider I had... well... Sat for 8 years in our driveway as a beautiful Italian decoration... never got it to run correctly... sold it about a month ago and got myself a running 1961 VW Beetle...

So do not think that the new 500s are the same quality as those of 30-40 years ago... We would love to have an Abarth again...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
We had three FIAT 500 (500C and two Abarths)... never had an issue with any of them. Very inexpensive to maintain, comfortable getting in an out, and a pleasure to drive...

The 1981 FIAT Spider I had... well... Sat for 8 years in our driveway as a beautiful Italian decoration... never got it to run correctly... sold it about a month ago and got myself a running 1961 VW Beetle...

So do not think that the new 500s are the same quality as those of 30-40 years ago... We would love to have an Abarth again...
I know, I get it , but "once bitten, twice shy", right? BTW, an excellent trade. That beetle is a sweet ride. How 'bout a pic?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 04-04-2019, 11:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
So, I gotta say....VW is responsible for my career and all my income for all i have....indirectly. my girlfriend (later my wife) bought a 67 beetle, solid body, blown engine for 700. I was in the middle of a "life direction crisis". I found the beetle to be just a tiny step above my childhood erector set. So I enrolled in automotive school, where my college prep curriculum made it a breeze when combined with a newfound passion. Wasn't real popular with mom and dad, but proved to work well..