Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Lafayette , Louisiana
long distance towing

24ft interstate extend AS towing Kia Soul. I have excellent towing equipment,etc. Have made several short and one 500 mile tow trip. Planning a 4 thousand round trip to Glacier Park and Wyoming.
Any advice about speed, fuel mileage effects, Sprinter power in mountains,etc.
I am inclined to leave Soul home and rent a car for touring areas away from RV park. 4 thousand miles seems to be a very long way to tow a car.
Any comments at all would be appreciated.
Thanks
drgene
drgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I tow a Ford Fiesta. Only light car with auto that can be towed 4-down stock.
The mpg penalty varies from about 1 1/2 to 2 mpg in flattish country to as much as 4 mpg in really hilly terrain. You never recover going downhill what it cost going uphill. The Fiesta has no speed limits, but 65 on interstates is my limit while towing.

Other than that, I have to look in the camera to see if it is still back there. Power is no problem except starting from a stop on a steep uphill can be very slow.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Lafayette , Louisiana
Thanks Pahaska. Good info and just what I needed.
DrGene
drgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
I, like Pashaska, tow a Ford Fiesta. Last November we towed it on a 2000 mile trip from Idaho to New Mexico, back thru Arizona and Utah. The trip ended on very icy roads from St George Utah to Idaho Falls.

I feel towing the car did not negatively affect the trip at all (other than mileage as Pashaska pointed out). Even on the ice I did not know the toad was back there. I do feel it was a positive addition. I feel we did more exploring with the car than we would have done without it. We left the coach in Flagstaff while we took the car to the Grand Canyon.

As you already know you do have to think ahead since you cannot back up with the toad attached. So far we have not had a problem with it.

About the only times we donít take Freida-the-following-Ford-Fiesta is when we go to the Forest Service campgrounds for the weekend.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I have a 4300 lb Jeep 4 door JKU that I tow behind both my Born Free and the AI. There is a small mileage penalty of about 1.5 mpg with the AI. Obviously, you know the Jeep is behind you, but the OM-647 in my T1N has plenty of juice to tow it. I've towed it from south of Atlanta to home over some fairly signficant hills without issue.

The biggest issue in towing (or not) with the AI is that I most often don't need a second vehicle, so I don't bother. But the Jeep is set up and available if I do. The only isssues are a) of course you can't back up and b) like towing a trailer, you need to think ahead about how you're going to park and where.

Blue Ox tow bar, Brake Buddy classic (a must,) the wiring, and so forth can all be bought used really reasonably. I think I might have spent $900 getting the Jeep ready to tow, and that included all the hardware and the labor to install the tow bracket and do the additional wiring.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Hello "drgene". I have a doctorate too, but am just plain "Gene". Don't know about a toad, but think you have a wonderful name.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote