Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Thanks, everyone.

I bailed on the campground after several hours in full sun at 115 degrees, with an overnight low predicted to be near 100.

AC was running at full tilt and it was 99 degrees inside, frig not cooling as it should.....

My thought was...if I don’t leave, I’m going to die here. ......

It just makes sense to get out of this suffocating heat, and I need to see how everything does in more moderate temps before determining if anything needs tweaking...
Maggie
Now, for those of us who are stuck in analogous conditions (not that extreme but still very harsh) for months at a time each year, there are a couple of incremental measures that will assist with lessening the severity enough to make life itself a little bit more possible. They include but are not limited to:

--A lithium system that can run the roof a/c off-grid.

-- A Bus Kote reflective roof

-- Somewhere between six and twelve hundred bucks worth of CR-70 window tint (now you know why southerners are eager to fork over that kind of cash!)

-- Solar side shrouds that stick on with neodymium magnets and mask the black side window array from the full brunt of the sun

-- Interior custom window shields created with higher-tech thermal technologies such as Insul-bright (including for the slider door)

-- Radiant barrier installed above the cab headliner (no blog post)

-- Under-chassis insulation which I still don't have (but which I've seen on another Sprinter Class B)

-- And I also haven't figured out the rear door insulation thing yet.

-- I'm sure there's more that I'm not remembering this early in the morning.

Every little bit helps. I worked outside for several hours yesterday wearing personal protective equipment on an industrial job site. Every little bit helps, every square inch of shade, sip of water, cooling station, procedure, and device has to be added into the mix for survive-ability to occur in the southern part of this great nation.

I'm hoping to stress test our rig in the Cabela's parking lot today. It's been almost a year since I've piled maximum demands on it in terms of running the a/c off lithium and the generator. It's shaping up to be a standard butt-kicking Houston summer day where unabated temps in the rig would easily reach 107 degrees unless intervention occurs. When I ran similar pre-big-trip-departure stress tests last year, the floor was too hot for me to place my bare feet on it comfortably.

Cross-posted photo from the "Declaring War" thread. The scientist in me wonders what your new van might have achieved in that particular camp ground if you had been able to wrap it like this:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 06:30 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
By the time I got to Hittenstiehl house, I had noted that two rear windows were slightly opened, so getting them closed might have made a difference...and I had no problems in this campground, so am not concerned hat the AC is bad.

Our older model AC’s tend to run very cold, as this one does, so cooled things off nicely and kept me plenty comfortable overnight on low.

Reflectix cutouts for the front windows came with, and I will hold onto them.

Maggie
Old 07-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #123
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
I think I definitely need to try this (at least on the driver side where my compressor fridge resides behind black painted fake "windows").

Glad I don't need to consider the full-wrap treatement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Project1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	316205  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:53 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I really like the black mask that Airstream wrapped around the 2007s. IRRC it was only that last T1N production year which had that feature. It unifies and simplifies the appearance of what would otherwise be a monolithic body peppered with windows that appear a bit disjointed.

--BUT--

Yes, it's a female dog for heat gain. I can't imagine having an entirely black Interstate.

Not to get too far afield on this thread, so I'll post further on the Declaring War thread about another resource I found on IG.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:00 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I really like the black mask that Airstream wrapped around the 2007s. IRRC it was only that last T1N production year which had that feature.

A paint feature recreated on the limited run of Avenue's from '2010-'2012 (like mine).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6214.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	538.1 KB
ID:	316271  
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I really like the black mask that Airstream wrapped around the 2007s.
INTERBLOG - Yeah, I actually wished they would do that all the way around, even on new models - from front/side/back/all the way back the other side . Just one continuous black strip (even at the expense of more heat).
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I actually like just the window being in black. But that is why there are different colours and layouts. People like different things.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7C4AC590-3B5E-4AEB-9CCF-40A696CA6DE4.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	316502  
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote